PDA

View Full Version : cold storage/walk in freezer

ramblinman502
12-03-2010, 03:55 PM
wondering if anyone can chime in on this..ya out there Rod?????
We and are looking to replace our cold storage, walk-in freezer with something more efficient and cheap. Is it possible to build your own? Also, is there such a thing as a geothermal freezer unit? We need something about 20 ft by 15 ft.

hemlock77
12-03-2010, 06:39 PM
The last restaurant I worked at we built the walk-in cooler/freezer. We just had order the refrigeration unit itself from restaurant supply catalog. We framed it out, 12" Styrofoam insulation interior was finished with stainless steel sheetingon the inside, the outside was aluminum.

Harry
12-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I've seen people use containers/ truck bodies lined out with Styrofoam and a window airconditioner with the thermostat hanging outside to keep it running with great results.

jrdavis
12-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Ramblinman....
here is a site I found off of mother earth news. I don't know if you are needing this for "commerical" or private use, but here is an interesting site that I look through for "on the cheap" ideas.
<a href="http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/pv.htm#Frig">http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/pv.htm#Frig</a>
I had 7 children at home at one time and thought of needing a walk in, whats your purpose or use for? just curious.
JD

rreidnauer
12-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Yea, I don't know of any efficient means of larger scale air conditioning or refigeration methods. It's one of the reasons I stuck to staying up in the cooler climates, as I know it's very difficult to "cool" off the grid.

ramblinman502
12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
thanks all!

jrdavis.. we use it for beef thats raised on the farm. the one thats set up now is old n needs to be replaced.

jrdavis
12-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I have seen 3 walk ins from restuarants at auction in the past 2 months from proxibid.com
If you can find one in your area going to auction, that might be an option.
Good luck.
JD

hemlock77
12-05-2010, 04:05 AM
I have seen 3 walk ins from restuarants at auction in the past 2 months from proxibid.com
If you can find one in your area going to auction, that might be an option.
Good luck.
JD
I almost forgot about the restaurant auctions. Where I live in eastern Ct. there are several restaurant supply auction companies. I still get the notices in the mail from time to time when an auction is coming up. Just give them a call for next auction schedule. With the real economy being slow right now, restaurants tend to get hit hardest. You will have to use your best judgement because the items up for bid can range from brand new to scrap value only.
I like live auctions best for two reasons. 1. you can inspect items before bid. 2. less competition(bidders). Also network with other bidders, because they might have or know someone who has what you are looking for at a decent price. If anyone knows how to get something done in a cost effective manner, it is a restaurant owner. For them it is a matter of survival.
Stu
<a href="http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/">http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/</a>

edkemper
12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Why not build a log shed. Frame out half the shed, insulate thick with the appropriate insulation and add the refrigeration unit? Seems we could do better with a log structure than a conventional unit. Just a thought. I was hoping to do just this. I'd think that the price of numerous chest freezers v a large log based walk-in would be similar.

ramblinman502
12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
we started looking at the stuff on the link that we got above.
Ed..funny you should mention that shed. today we started tossing the idea around of building an ICF shed. i think it might be the most cost effective way to go.

rreidnauer
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Ha! I was thinking about ICFs too. I was trying to think of ways to fill them with some sort of insulation instead of concrete, and still be locked together. One thought I had was to put 2x10 (or 2x12 if using that block size) under the bottom course and on top of the top course, then have several pieces of all-thread binding the plates together. That would make for a pretty rigid panel.

I guess it would be easier to use SIPs though.

Timberwolf
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I'd frame whatever size i needed, spray it with 5" of urethane foam and buy the most efficent refridgerator unit i could find.

edkemper
12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
What I was thinking of was a log shed for the mass, framing a portion of it, spraying in the foam between the logs and the framing, and between wider constructed side walls and front. Build a thick "hollow" door and foam it. Then the best commercial refer unit I could get. Seems cheap and should be a great freezer.

dnwhansen
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I just talked with a friend who owns a great Pizza place in Western Colorado. She remodeled and put SIPS around her walkin. Her power was out for 3 days over the 4th of july and the temp went up 3 degrees. She has Grid tied solar electric. I assume this means the only power she is using for her cooler is due to opening and closing the door.

Agape.Ranch
12-07-2010, 06:53 AM
They have restaurant equipment for auction all the time...
I have seen full walk ins for sale but also the refrigerant systems separate...
Google: "Fast Track Auctions"
it is something like bidfta com.
I have bought a few things from them, great deals and great equipment.

R_Cullen
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Wow! Great website. Would you know of anything similar over on the canadian side? I've been looking for sites like this but couldn't find any good ones.

Will Dye
12-26-2010, 06:44 AM
I have got to renew my subscription to Farm Show Magazine. One of the articles in there was about a guy who builds an electronic unit that converts a window A/C unit into a freezer unit that they use on their walkout freezers. I remember when I read it that he said it works better on certain models and brands of units. I remember it being cheap. That control box and a window unit should have you building cheap walkouts Rusty.I just searched for it and they won't let me view the article to make sure it is the same one I read but the info for it is:
Widman Mfg Co. in St. Paul MN and the # is 612-224-3333.

slrrls
03-17-2011, 08:40 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=DIY+walkin+freezer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a