PDA

View Full Version : Staining/ cetol vs permachink!

jeroen
11-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi,

I have a question: I am planning to stain my log home, inside and out. But i am not sure with witch brand to go.
I hear a lot of good things about cetol! But also about permachink!
Can any body help me with there experience on one of these brands?

Thanks! jerome

Shark
11-25-2010, 07:06 AM
I would suggest ordering some samples from the stain manufacturers.
What looks good in a picture may be totally different on your species of logs. We ordered samples from I think 3 or 4 different companies, total of close to 15 or 20 colors....We went with high sierra applewood color, happy with it so far, been over 2 years now still looks new.

jeroen
11-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks!
But witch brand did you go? was it water or oil based? I have used the cetol products before on red cedar, and it looked very nice! But now i am ready to stain my second log home and i wondered if you guy's have good experiences with cetol, permachink or even other brands. I just want to get as much info of products as i can get.
The good thing of this log home is, it isn't green. It is built 20 years ago.

i just cleaned it completely and it is time for a new stain. I heard some much things about products that i want to have more info on it before i continue.
All info is welcome. Ps i read lots of postings about staining already so for me it is the personal experience that is important.

thanks already!

Shark
11-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks!
But witch brand did you go? was it water or oil based?

Brand is Sashco.
http://www.sashco.com/log/products-high-sierra-log-stain-info.html
Interior has an extra topcoat on it as recc. by the manufacturer. http://www.sashco.com/log/products-symphony.html

rocklock
11-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Jeroen - I see that you are a fisherman and live in BC. I presume that you and I are in similar marine climates, hence I may have stuff that would be useful for you. I am building on Camano Island, WA. about 80 miles south of the border.
I would recommend a clear coat product call symphony. The URL is below. You can see my interior walls at my photo bucket site. My only comment is that this product is water based and clear. This stuff hardens like your tooth brush. I mean its plastic and hides nothing. So if you want an interior stain, this is not the stuff for you.
http://www.sashco.com/log/products-symphony.html
I have used several exterior stains. I would note that these Oil based stains require a temp of 50 degrees F or 10 C. Hence, I will not be staining my logs again until next May or June. I can't trust a water based stain for my exterior. I know this sounds a little nuts but I don't want to redo the stain. In fact i like the color of my logs right now, if I could just by magic stop the aging process, but of course I can't. We have a member (on Camano) that used permachink on her exterior and had to strip it off and redo it two years ago. I believe she redid it with a Sikkens product.
Some things I have learned about staining logs. 1. Logs move so you can't use something that is brittle like Spar Varnish. 2. Logs oxidize and age hence I need to do something to stop this process. Gray logs suck, IMHO. 3. Oils need to polymerize on the north side of the building hence Tung and Linseed oils need a little help (dryers). 4. I have used several test patches (two years now) and Sikkens seems to be working as advertised. My only problem is this product is very thick and creates a watertight coating with two coats. I would prefer a coating that lets out water if any get in. I don't have a clue how this will be resolved, because I will try to do several applications on my well shed before I do my house.
So, just a review, symphony for the inside and probably Sikkens (cetol) for the outside...maybe if my tests go well. just another note... log prep is critical!!!
Dave ->The unaimed arrow never misses.... If can, can. If cannot, cannot.
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/

jeroen
11-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks a lot!

This is info i can work with! I will start next spring! So i have the whole winter to make up my mind witch product to use!

Thanks guy's!

WNYcabinplannin
03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
:confused:
I'm close to needing to finalize my log treatment plan for my log walls...

I posted to one of the 'sticky posts' but thought this might be a more read place to discuss this. I posted there:

We want final look to be dark logs.
I'm seeing two paths and need to get opinion(s) on which sounds better.
1- We blast them first (found a guy can do whole house ext/int with a corncob/soda mixture, ~$2500)
2- navy blend them
3- stain with a dark Sikkens
4- chink
OR
Just do a weak bleach powerwash, re-borate them, and let darken on their own,chink. Isn't this how Skip's house is (and used to be taught to do)?
Is there any reason that I MUST use a stain/sealer? #2 sounds a LOT cheaper, more environmentally friendly and perhaps more attractive...

How much $$ have people been averaging, to stain their homes?
What If I just borate the outside logs, and do exterior chink. Then I can sand, LIGHT color stain inside (more light).

So many different ways to go, just really anxious about what's the 'right way' here...
Fletch

rocklock
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Fletch;
I used $250 worth of Symphony on the inside. It was five gallons.
I expect to use the same amount of Sikkens on the outside.
Also about 200 bucks for the chinking coverings.

WornOut
03-24-2011, 09:43 AM
You punching holes in the "it can be done cheaply" theory. That's a chunk of change for making it purrrty

Timberwolf
03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
:confused:
I'm close to needing to finalize my log treatment plan for my log walls...

I posted to one of the 'sticky posts' but thought this might be a more read place to discuss this. I posted there:

How much $$ have people been averaging, to stain their homes?
What If I just borate the outside logs, and do exterior chink. Then I can sand, LIGHT color stain inside (more light).

So many different ways to go, just really anxious about what's the 'right way' here...
Fletch

What the heck is Navy Blend?

WNYcabinplannin
03-27-2011, 07:12 PM
NavyBlend: http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Gadgets/D97WoodRot.htm
It's just the glycol/borax/boric acid blend by it's original name- dunno, someone on the forum gave it to me, Rocklock?
Dave- I'm amazed 5 gallons was enough for the interior of your logs!
I've heard good things about Sikkens, here.
Jeff (Stargazer) is near me, and I REALLY like the look his Woodguard exterior stain has...