PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get the logs to construct my log home.

rwgray2005@live.com
11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I am investigating the possibility of constructing a log home on a small piece of property in Eastern PA. If my lot does not have sufficient tree coverage to utilize for construction where would I purchase or get the logs. What are the costs? Who would I contact to find out about costs in my region of the country. I was looking into logistics an possibility of build a log home first before investing in taking the course. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Shark
11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
possibility of build a log home first before investing in taking the course. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Investing in the course BEFORE building will save you much more. Taking the class (& building our own log home) was the best thing we did.
The class teaches the best ways to find loggers and/or logs, give tips on getting the best pricing etc etc.
Hope that helps,

Jeff

Mosseyme
11-18-2010, 03:38 PM
You probably will not find a single person on this website that would encourage you to build before you learn. Personally I wasted a lot of time and energy and logs because we started before we came across this site. Be grateful you found them before you start to build. The class gives you a wonderful base of information then this forum will give you unlimited access to some brilliant minds to pick for any problem you could possibly come up with. You will then also have access to other builders projects to help and learn from. When you start your project your # 1 source of information will be here on the members side. If it can happen to you it has happened to someone else and you can hear how they were able to overcome whatever and move on, so many things I have filed away somewhere in my head for when we get to that part. If I can just find the file when the time comes, age you know. If not it will be here on the forum somewhere and someone will tell me where to find it. Be smart!!!!

MN Guy
11-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I have been reading and kinda understand the "class" before thing. And yet since money if tight and such I also would like to know more before the "leap in" thing. So I am on fence and will be reading for awhile .... but then it might be another year out and ...... not for me a simple and easy thing. Makes me crazy

loghousenut
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM
I have been reading and kinda understand the "class" before thing. And yet since money if tight and such I also would like to know more before the "leap in" thing. So I am on fence and will be reading for awhile .... but then it might be another year out and ...... not for me a simple and easy thing. Makes me crazy

Mr Guy, If you've followed the forum for long you already know what a bunch of fanatics we are. You don't know enough about me to trust me any more than the next fellow but, trust me on this one, you want to take the class. If you have accidentally stumbled on us and are not totally turned off by what you read, you are one of us in the making. I took the class three different time over the years. The first time was in 1981 and it changed the way my life has run ever since. The price of the class was nothing compared to what I came away with.
Nothing wrong with waiting a year or two to make the plunge as long as you are willing to accept the possibility of a lifestyle change when it finally happens. Til then start looking for a ridgepole. Movie below shows mine being unloaded at the homesite last year. I learned all I needed to know about the ridgepole in class.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20ridgepole/th_P1000844-1.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20ridgepole/?action=view&current=P1000844-1.flv)

edkemper
11-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Watched the movie of off loading your ridge pole. When it finished it recommended this video as similar to yours. Just thought it was an interesting comparison and wanted to share. <smile>
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/NatalieHeinrich/?action=view&current=P1000844-1.mp4

loghousenut
11-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Watched the movie of off loading your ridge pole. When it finished it recommended this video as similar to yours. Just thought it was an interesting comparison and wanted to share. <smile>
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/NatalieHeinrich/?action=view&current=P1000844-1.mp4

Hey Eddie, I'm thinking your apple juice has fermented til it's time to bottle it. Keep posing but be sure not to drive when you are sampling it.

jasonfromutah
12-01-2010, 12:26 PM
If you are struggling dollar wise, you cannot afford not to take the class. I have my walls up and am just putting on the roof. I have literally saved several thousand dollars on this cabin, doing things that were taught in class.
I took the class and then sent my wife to the class. I also sent to other people to the class that would help me, as time permitted. Sure it was an investment, but I have already reaped higher returns $$$$$.
Best of luck.

StressMan79
12-01-2010, 12:51 PM
If you are struggling to the point that 800 smackers will break you, you likely will not be able to build a house of your own anyway. Even with free logs and owner-financing, you'll have to have enough for a foundation. That will be significantly more than 800. Not to mention all the other parts--roofing, rebar, windows, doors, plumbing, hvac, etc. Sure you can get a lot of that free/cheap, but likely not all, and again, you'll spend way more for it than if you take the class and learn the tricks to getting it cheap.

Don't forget that you have to make money to eat and buy tools, etc while on your project. As Jason says, it is an investment.
-Peter

MN Guy
12-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Holy Crappola chaps .... 800 isn't gonna hurt me. I just have better things to tie it up in now --- my friggen 401K is off 39% yet and I need to rebuild that sucker too.
I have better than $18K in new Marvin windows and patio doors, own a tractor and a 'cat, my son does block work. I was an electrician by trade before trades went south. I have built a pole barn or 8 actually so doing metal roofs works for me.
Guess I am viewing it a bit different than you already "in" - $800 is more like $1200-1400 with transportation and lodging and such. Not exactly inexpensive ... nor overly expensive either I realize. Just a lot of change for something that almost seems to easy....per se.

StressMan79
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
"Talk Down" to you or anyone else. I was just saying that a home--even a shack will cost many times more than $800 (or even $1400), and if the class prevents one major error, helps you source your logs for even 1/2 of what you could pay, helps you find free help, gives you an idea on how to avoid gov regulation or minimize taxes, you'll pay for it several times over. I DO realize the budetary concerns. They are all very real. LHBA is primarily a "get out of debt by way of log homes" kind of org, rather than a "build a fancy log home and enjoy the good life" org.

Anyway, glad to see you are interested in learning about building log homes before just diving in.

loghousenut
12-04-2010, 08:17 AM
MN Guy, You have just raised the ante. You shoulda told us right off that you have equipment and a Son who is in the trades. Now you need us more than ever. Take the class with your Son (he really does need to go). The two of you get the class for $1400 plus the cost of getting there and room and board.
When I went I took my wife and have always been glad I did. I also took my best freind and sent my Mother and Brother. Wife and I are the only ones building but all who went appreciated it much more than a trip to Disneyland (no offense Jay). Now that we know you have more than one house to build, we also know that you have more than one life to change.
We will be waiting for you on the members only side of the forum.
PS. I have a vested interest in Costco but am tied to the class only by this forum and the house that my Son and I are building. I have no monetary interest in your participation, and so far neither do any of the responders to your posts. We are just a bunch of folks who have had our lives changed by joining this group.
As I re-read my post I see that it looks like this is some kinda cult or something weird. I assure you that in the 20 years since I took the class I have never been asked to drink the Kool-aid or line up for the space ship. I don't even have a photo of our fearless leader in my living room.

MN Guy
12-05-2010, 06:46 AM
you have me LMAO I confess. The upping of the ante may hold some merit - son and wife, my other son....now that's 4. hmmmm-who else am I missing?
No Kool-aid eh!? Sheeeeeesh. I expected some and some brownies too. ;-)
Temps at 2F right now .... if the class was today I'd do it. lol
I have a lot of thinking to do...anyone know how full the class is right not?

StressMan79
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Most all members have a good sense of humor, but LHN stands alone.
If you are lucky, the class will have lots of skips special recipe cookies.
I don't know for sure, but uaually the admins post when there are less than 5 spots available on the main page. This has not yet been done, so I suspect that there are at least 5 spots. I don't know how the classes in Vegas go (I took it in Skip's big house near Monroe) but they used to have ~30 seats available/class.
-Peter