PDA

View Full Version : Logs in the Midwest

philreed
09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I am in the St. Louis area and am interested in taking the class as soon as I can (hopefully the next one). I will wait until after I've gone through the class to start on anything. However, I'm curious if it will be possible for me to obtain the logs in my region. It seems like most of the student homes are in the northwest area where there are many types of tall straight trees. I'm not a forestry expert, but I think it may be difficult for me to find logs that would work for these homes (say 30'x40').
Will this be real concern? Any Midwesterners have suggestions?

panderson03
09-29-2010, 06:28 AM
welcome! we're building in northern MN and had no trouble getting logs.

Shannonbeth
09-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I like you am waiting for the class. However, I am always looking at trees and logs and I forsee no problem in this area. I am currently in west central Mn and will be moving closer to the Metro area. If anything, you would be able to have them shipped in from other places but there should be no issues finding straight logs.

Shark
09-29-2010, 03:51 PM
We are in Indiana, but had our logs trucked in from Michigan. We later found sources in southern Indiana.

You shouldn't have too many issues if you look hard enough.

jpw
10-03-2010, 07:31 AM
If your building, it might be a good idea to talk with the foresters at your DNR. They can, likely, hook you up with local loggers and truckers. Wall logs are a little different animal, so you have to talk directly with the loggers to ensure that you get what you are looking for. Normally, loggers are just looking at moving wood...fast. And, sorting out the straight stuff may not be worth their time.

When I was looking for logs for a cabin, I found the following newsletter through the Minnesota DNR:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/forestry/marketplace/index.html
I ran a free add for 50 30-foot logs and I was contacted by about 20 loggers with logs either in a yard ready to go or still on the stump.

pckrakw
02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
If your building, it might be a good idea to talk with the foresters at your DNR. They can, likely, hook you up with local loggers and truckers. Wall logs are a little different animal, so you have to talk directly with the loggers to ensure that you get what you are looking for. Normally, loggers are just looking at moving wood...fast. And, sorting out the straight stuff may not be worth their time.

When I was looking for logs for a cabin, I found the following newsletter through the Minnesota DNR:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/forestry/marketplace/index.html
I ran a free add for 50 30-foot logs and I was contacted by about 20 loggers with logs either in a yard ready to go or still on the stump.

from the current MN DNR marketplace issue:
FOR SALE: 10 old growth white pine trees containing approximately 5,000 bd ft. Trees average 25 inches and have
3 to 4 logs. Contact: City Clerk’s office, Blackduck, MN; Phone: 218-835-4803

Thanks jpw I will post on here when I need my logs.

brucedehut
07-15-2011, 07:42 AM
I am looking for logs around Louisville, Ky and was hoping you could let me know of the sources you found for logs. I am looking to build a 12x12 two story shed for now but my son and I have two full size homes to do in the future.

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to mention I live in the Louisville, KY area.

hemlock77
07-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Based om my conversation with my lil sister and brother in law, who live live a lil bit outside Jefferson city. The big tall straight evergreens are in the south/southeast area of Mo. I have a brother in Omaha, he says the seem to have a strict policy about trees in their area. As soon as a tree gets about 10-15 ft tall, they hurry up and cut it down.
Stu

John17three
07-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree with hemlock77, here in Mid-MO (Laclede Co., MO) there are not a lot of tall pine or firs or other usable evergreen types. We have lots of Oaks, Ash, Dogwood, Hickory, Walnut, Maples, and too many cedars. Most ruralites around here consider them a plague on the land; they just grow up to ruin fence lines and stuff like that. The tall slender pines we see in pics from the Northwest U.S. are usually found in state parks (in my experience) here in Mid-MO.

I'm super pumped on building a log cabin myself, but right now I have to wait for my inheritance from my grandparents (80 acres/3 ponds/20% wooded/20 acre hay field) and I have a few other commitments abroad I'd like to fulfill. I did find a wholesale log distributor <http://www.mwlsi.com/mwlsi/Index.html>, but I'm thinking that I could find cheaper--if not free--logs somehow, presumably via the methods learned at LHBA member meeting. We'll see. It'll be some time before I can build, and I've just merged into my 30's this year, so I'll just daydream for now.

I would like to know which of the local varieties above (assuming I could find some straight ones!) would be best for a LHBA cabin. I did search the forums, but "oak" didn't seem to jive with the forum's search engine. I could understand the universality of using some oaks/walmut for RPSL or something, but I'm just wondering about using them for the perimeter logs. Any comments on using local varieties as perimeter logs?

Plumb Level
07-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi John - I'm building mine in Maries County, MO. Take the class in Sept and we can start our journey together.

I asked a similar question a few months back. We have a lot of larger cedar on the property, as well as red oak and white oak. my plan right now is to use Cedar on the perimeter, but use something stronger for the first round of logs, any girders and for the ridge pole. I thought about white oak, but now I've got a line on some pine out of southern missouri that might be really cheap. i'll send you a private message from here with my e-mail and we can discuss it.

lildrestl3
02-23-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm in St Louis and would love to know if you found any sources for logs?

panderson03
02-23-2012, 08:32 AM
they teach all sorts of methods in class for finding logs. we ended up putting an add in the local paper to find ours:)

WornOut
02-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm in St Louis and would love to know if you found any sources for logs?

Try CL - post in farm and garden and misc wanted sections. I got more replies than I wanted. Good time to be buying as the industry is soft

mickeyzalewski
02-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey John - I'm in Springfield MO - I hope to take the next class available after the March 2012 class. Good luck with your plans. I hope to find good logs as well and look forward to the wealth of information on this and other topics promised in the class.

jrdavis
02-23-2012, 04:03 PM
There are serveral ways to get logs and on the members side
There is info for logs within 200 miles of St. Louis.

See you on the other side.

JD

Rebecca Todd
02-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Hey all. This is Rebecca. I live in Ozark, Missouri. We plan on taking the next class after the March 2012. Can't get off work for that one. I was wondering how difficult it would be to obtain logs, but am feeling a little relieved knowing there is information out there. We trail ride in Arkansas and Missouri and we have seen lots of pine trees in those areas. Don't know if they are the right kind. We Will find out more after we take the next class. We already have land in Lawrence county and plan to start building in 1-3 years. Would like to help out on someone else's build if they were close by for the experience and fellowship.

jrdavis
02-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Rebecca,

You are in PRIME log land.
See my post below -- same goes for your area there.

I Love the Branson/Ozark area.
Welcome aboard and read, read, read. :)
JD

Plumb Level
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Hi Rebecca and lildrestl3 - you have both come to the right place if you want to build your own log home.

I ordered my logs from Current River Pole Co out of Licking, MO. Right before placing my order, I was talking to a couple of loggers in South Missouri that could have supplied me with logs. Logs should be delivered late March or early April.

The logs in Missouri are Short leaf Southern Yellow Pine. Not the best species to build with, but the best around here!

jrdavis
02-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Plumb---
care to PM me with the loggers names?

Are you having any trouble with getting a trucker to HAUL them logs?

I like the price you quoted for Current River, but waht is the delivery charge per mile?

thanks.
JD

lildrestl3
02-25-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the Info ..