PDA

View Full Version : problem with finding a logger - everyone wants to sell kits

glendc
09-14-2005, 01:26 PM
After a month of doing my home work very actively I see that it's very challenging to find a logger to buy logs. I found hundreds and hundreds log kit companies, a few that sell milled logs and virtually none that sells just logs. Selling kits seems to be most lucrative, then milled logs. Nobody wants to sell unprocessed / dried logs -- no added value, low profit margin. What are your experience? Is it really difficult to find a logger that it seems to me? The lot I consider to buy will not yield enough logs for a log house so to buy logs from logger is the only option for me...

kyle
09-15-2005, 03:36 AM
glendc,

You need to take the class!!! Once you do that you should have an easier time dealing with loggers. The subject of obtaining logs has been discussed several times in the members section.

I also saw on another post that you were looking at land in Deepcreek MD. Again you might want to take the class first before buying land, unless its a fantastic deal! Deepcreek is only a little more than an hour away from me and I know prices have gone through the roof in that area.

glendc
09-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Kyle,

Thanks for reply. I will take class -- that's for sure. But not sure when - October or later. Are you building yourself? I see a lot of land selling on eBay in PA (mainly Pocono area, Monroe county). Besides Deepcreek Lake I consider PA -- my son wants to go to Penn State so I am thinking why not to build and become residents of PA and not pay out of state tuition.

Yes, I know that land in DeepCreek is soaring but it is more or less normal process not like the real estate bubble we have been having in the Wash DC area. With lowest unemployment rate in the country and plenty of government contracts and thus jobs people keep coming from everywhere and keep buying. 20+ years 3 br townhouse can easily cost 600 thousand. People have 4, 5 and even 6 thousand mortgages (both spouses working) so what they have in DeepCreek sounds like a lame joke for us. See real estate classifieds in the Washington Post. As baby boomers headed for retirement they will be selling homes in the areas like Wash DC / Northern VA / MD and moving to areas like Deep Creek. I personally think that Deepcreek is a good investment.