PDA

View Full Version : Building Codes and Inspectors

HockeyLogger
07-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Just wondering what experiences anyone has had with building codes and inspectors. The reason I ask is that I really want to attend the class and build my own home but the area where I plan on building the building inspector is very hard to deal with. He likes to play God with everyone that tries to build something. Currently someone in town is trying to build a regular stick frame home with a builder that has been in the business for many years and they are still waiting for a full building permit after 100 days. Also, I have talked to people that say that the inspector won't let anyone build anything unless they are a licensed contractor. Any suggestions, experiences?
Thank you

panderson03
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
sometimes those inspectors can be darn right ornery. and sometimes they can be coaxed out of they orneriness by a little effort by the builder. if you go out of your way to be extra accomodating, do all you can to let him know you respect him and his position, bring cost co muffins, you might have an easier time of it. of you can just plan on building some where else...where the restrictions are not so tough or no inspections are required. where we're building, we have to have a 'licensed professional' do our septic; have to have our electic inspected by the state and have to have our footings inspected after they're poured. could be a lot worse!!

edkemper
07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
It's the rare case when you can't do something to win them over to your side. Hopefully you're both on the same side. Working toward safety and code compliance. What we do is really very simple and shouldn't be hard to help educate them to win them over.

Shark
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
We had a good experience with ours. He explained the reasoning when he wanted something done a certain way or changes done. & was open to the method of building style as taught in class.

penstone
07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
It doesn't matter whether or not a building inspector is anal and hard to get along with, or is easy to deal with. It is your property and you should be able to do with it as you please. There should be no building code or inspector. If your workmanship is shoddy and the house falls on your head, that is your problem and no one else's business. If your shoddiness interferes with your neighbor, then he has the right to file suit. If not, then it is only your business. I personally moved from Western Washington State because of over regulation and having to deal with building codes and inspectors. I now live in an area of the Northwest where there is no code, and thus no bureaucrat inspectors. Where I live, the populace thinks in terms of freedom. Guess what? There is less substandard housing here than where I lived in Washington. Imagine that. That people might dare to build without some bureaucrat's approval, and still build excellent homes. As far as I'm concerned, all building inspectors should get off the taxpayer's dole and get a real job. A job that doesn't infringe on the freedom and rights of others.

Sasquatch
07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Penstone:
As a current and disgruntled Kalifornia resident, I am looking to escape to eastern WA but am open to other locations. I caught myself drooling when I read "Northwest" and "no code". If you're willing, drop me a line at "hower dot js at gmail dot com" - I'd love to learn where I might find such a place.

rreidnauer
07-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree Penstone, at least in part. For a owner/builder, absolutely. It's my house, my property, where the heck does government think they have any right to tell me what I can and can't do? (What ever happened to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?) As for contractors building for profit, different story. They should have to follow code and regulation, since they have incentive to cut corners to increase profits, at the expense of others. (home buyers) Also, I understand reasoning behind septic regulation, and despite that I think permit fees are unreasonable and only encourage "illegal" installations, I still support them. Back to owner/builder. When it would come time to sell, I believe that your home would either have to meet code, or have a sign-off by the buyer exempting the code requirements, thus continuing exclusion of government responsibility. Let it up to the buyer and/or a privately hired home inspector to make the decision of acceptable conditions. We REALLY don't need the government telling us what we are capable of deciding for ourselves. I have a real issue with energy standards too. If some retard (that's right, I said it. I'm not PC) wants to build a paper house in Alaska and freeze his butt off or pay goo-gobs to heat it, let him. Nature and finances will determine what's the right thing to do. Don't need the government to do that.
But will it change on it's own? I doubt it. The government is self feeding, and it sure as heck won't starve itself. It will take a historical event before things can get back to the way they are suppose to be.

edkemper
07-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Ever read: None dare call it conspiracy? If not, you should. Long read but worth every page.

Canucks
08-06-2010, 12:39 PM
We have had several inspections so far and almost every time have had a different inspector. We are in a very small and unique area in Whatcom County (Point Roberts, Washington). Our inspectors know the trades people here very well and when they knew who we had rough in the plumbing and the electrical there was no problem at all, probably because they know their work. We contracted out the roofing and again not a problem. We only had one issue and that was one inspector passed our second floor windows and the next stated that they were not egress and now we have to change one of them. We found working and talking with them to get their ideas and reasons made a fine working relationship. There are codes here, like everywhere, but we have found our inspectors to be very personable and knowledgeable.
The best thing about this place is that there is NO CRIME.
Canucks
<a href="http://www.trishlafrance.com">www.trishlafrance.com</a>

penstone
08-06-2010, 10:41 PM
As I have written here before, the question is not whether or not the inspector is personable or knowledgeable. It doesn't matter how personable an inspector is. It is your property. To do as you please. As long as it doesn't affect your neighbor. It doesn't matter if the house falls on your head. That is your business. If you want your house inspected, then hire a private inspector. As for there are codes everywhere, that is simply not true. I live in an area of the Northwest where there are no codes or building permits. I moved to my area of the Northwest for this very reason. It's time all of us accepted self responsibility and built a house to the best of our abilities. And accepted the responsibility of shoddy construction. Self responsibility is the hallmark of freedom. Something we have seemed to lost in this country. Building inspectors should get a real job that doesn't infringe on the rights and freedom of others.

Loghomeguy
08-07-2010, 09:52 AM
There are a couple counties in North Idaho where the people being of sound mind have de-funded the building departments, no permits , save electrical and plumbing.

In most venues where there are permits a civil engineer is required to stamp plans this removes any responsibility from the local guys as the engineers have a higher status than inspectors, at least in Washington they do.
When building under the jurisdiction of an inspector I ALWAYS leave something obviously and blatantly wrong for them to see when they walk in to inspect, for instance once, I left every other balluster out of the stairs, "OH NO! a baby could fall through and die!" he exclaimed ! ( I already had the ballusters cut and hidden under the stairs. This gave him something to take back and show his boss "here I found something, therefore my job is justified" :)
Once near Coeur d Alene about 12 miles east of the Washington/Idaho border I brought in a set of plans to the building department that were stamped by a Washington licensed civil engineer,,,,, "Well we cannot accept these, this is not an Idaho licensed engineer!" I replied "You mean to tell me the laws of physics are different 12 miles west of here than they are here ?"
here is my advice, do not try to fight these guys, BE NICE, Leave something blatantly wrong, once you are "finaled" they cannot come in your home very easily and you can change everything you want, I do,,,,,

Back in the old days you could go permitless and be basically unscathed, now they make it a civil matter depriving you of any "rights" daily fines, they will and can take your property, , If one does not have the mindest to deal with them , head for a place where they aren't in power there are also many other countries to build, in,

Mikey, journeyman skip's 1987 three month class,,,,,,

edkemper
08-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Every time I start writing about Building Departments, I end up deleting before posting. This time I posted and had to edit it out because I don't know how to delete the entire post.