PDA

View Full Version : New here, a few questions and feedback wanted

HockeyLogger
06-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello
Great to be here and love the site, just wish I had found it earlier. Have always loved the idea of building my own home but never thought it was possible being that I'm not in the construction business. Have looked at strawbale and earth home designs but a log home appeals to me much more than the others.
I have poured over the info here from other members and love the updates and pictures that have been provided to show that it is possible to build your own log home for a fairly reasonable price. I am not afraid of hard work and love the idea of taking on a project like this with the end result being something that you can be proud of as well as providing a beautiful place for my family to live.
I know that the first thing that everyone will say is take the class and that will answer all of my questions and I fully intend to take it as soon as the next one is offered. That is why I wish I would have found this earlier because I would have been able to attend the ones that were recently offered.
But in the mean time I am trying to collect as much information possible before I attend so that I am able to start building after I take the class. After the class I think I will build a small shed/building to practice before I take on the big dog. I already own many of the tools necessary and I'm sure between family and friends I could get just about everything I need.
Just have a few basic questions:
1. What are the smallest size logs that you recommend that a person is able to build with? I understand that bigger is better or easier but I ask this because I might have access to some cheap or free timber but I don't know if it is big enough.
2. When adding the windows and doors to the house can you basically put in whatever size or shape you want since you are cutting the openings out after the structure is up? I ask this because through friends I can get used or sometimes even new windows at a reduced cost to retail.
As you can see this is why I am researching right now before I take the class so that I can set myself up to build a quality log house at a cost that I am able to handle, mortgage free if possible. Thank you in advance for your help and advice, I look forward to learning and sharing with everyone here.

StressMan79
06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
your wall logs will be 10" tops, minimum*. all span logs (girders, Ridge pole, purlins, cap logs, rafters, etc) will be sized by the loading.
window size/shape is largely arbitrary, however, you cannot make an entire wall from windows. You will want a certain percentage of the wall and distance from the corners to be logs.
*keep in mind that the size of the logs also determines the energy (heat) retention of the structure. generally R1/inch, so a 10 inch log will have an R value of 10. Not terribly high. There are offsetting factors in a log structure that make it more comfortable, but these also get better with size. I therefore like 14" logs.

rreidnauer
06-10-2010, 02:40 AM
I'd just like to add to Stressman's answer, that for your practice building/storage shed, you can go with smaller logs, say 6" on the small end.

HockeyLogger
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the answers guys.
For the practice shed that's kind of what I was thinking, I will use what ever size logs I can get for a good price. I might be able to get the practice shed logs for free and if not I know some people in the logging business so hopefully I can get a good price.
Stressman, as for the logs it looks like I will need to get as big of ones as I can get because I plan on building in Minnesota where the temps in the winter can get as low as -50 so I will need as high as a R value as I can get. Any other tips or things I should know about as far as increasing the efficiency of the home? Right now I am thinking of electric heat with a fireplace, but I'm sure this as well as other things that I am thinking of might change after I take the class.

rreidnauer
06-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Shark said it best, "Spending our first winter living in the new place, & quickly realizing that electric heat is expensive!" (quoted from a discussion in the members section regarding pellet stoves)
I guess as a secondary source of heat, electric will be alright, but don't make it your primary, especially in Minnesota of all places. A fireplace is nice for ambiance, but a wood stove stands to be far more efficient, especially if you choose one with a ducted air intake so you're not pulling air from inside your home, drawing in cold air into your home from outside. Catalytic versions also squeeze maximum energy from the wood. I plan on getting a Blaze King wood stove, which have both features.

HockeyLogger
06-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Funny you mentioned the Blaze King, I just saw one on TV the other day and it looked great. I definately would go with the wood stove , I just figured that I will probably need something like electric as a secondary to make sure that all the rooms can maintain a certain temp and of course for when the temps get really cold here.

rreidnauer
06-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Yea, I was trying to figure out if I could put a hot water coil in the wood stove then circulate water to the back rooms which may get cold, to hot water baseboard heaters. (or cast iron radiators) I know you got to be careful not to pull too much heat off the wood stove, or else risk getting creosote in the stack, but with a catalytic stove, that shouldn't be an issue as long as the heat is high enough to keep the catalyst going.

travelin01
06-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Reasonably priced fair sized logs are in good supply in Minnesota right now. Another member is building right now in central Minnesota and my logs will start arriving next week from MN. Sounds kinda like your journey through home research led you here the same way I got here. Started with strawbale building, then onto logs and finally here trying to find a sturdy, trouble free and reasonably priced home to build. Until new classes are announced, just spend hours pouring through the website and looking at members websites of their builds, it will keep you busy until you get a class and access to the members side, then you can spend many more hours going through all the info that has been posted.
Good luck, Brian

HockeyLogger
06-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the support Brian, that's exactly what I have been doing and plan to do with all the infotmation here. Good to hear that good logs are avaliable in Minnesota when I am ready to get started.