PDA

View Full Version : Digging a well

DocJ
05-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I bought this land 4 yrs ago with the idea of having a regular stick build put on it. (see photo link below) After 3yrs of legal problems (I could right a novel about that experience) the land was finally all mine. I came across this group and my wife and I are planning on taking the course soon* (soon = finding money and time to get away from three boys 7-5-2yrs). The last 9months saw great progress though.
1. Driveway was completed.
2. Five dry dams were constructed (marked on map with *) to halt soil errosion. The woods are misleading they are really ankle breaking ravines. This was done through the USDA county office.
3. I arranged a deal with a local farmer, he takes the hay (~10 acres) and in exchange I get half a beef. Works great for me because it would all go to weeds otherwise.
4. My local farmer friend got in a small tiff with the owner of the land to my east and build 325 ft of barb wire fence seperating the properties at no cost to me.
5. Electric power was just run out this last week to the edge of my property.
Now for the big question.....
A: take the class
but I havent asked
but
b
OK humor aside
Stop that!
Ok now for the question... How high of a priority should I make having a well dug? Its going to cost me about 10k based on recent work done on a neighbors property. This is obviously a large chunk of change, if I can defer that until later in the process I will do so and save the money for the class and all things that will come after that.
ty for your time and answers, even the
Doc
&lt;a href="<a href="http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/DocIV/?action=view&amp;current=Homestead.jpg">http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/DocIV/?action=view&amp;current=Homestead.jpg</a>" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img src="<a href="http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/DocIV/Homestead.jpg">http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/DocIV/Homestead.jpg</a>" border="0" alt="Homestead"&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

StressMan79
05-31-2010, 11:28 PM
actually, they don't touch much on wells in general, it is a log home building class not a 100% tell you every decision you need to make class.
Anyway, this is a public purview question, although, many such topics are discussed in the member's side. The best thing about the association is we are all about empowering the individual to make the best decisions for him/herself. Your question as well as any worthwhile question has one answer: "It depends"
Having fresh water is one of the things that makes living at a location even possible. It is more important than electricity, gas, or even internet. Therefore if you plan on living on the property while you build (which will make it go much faster, but is not always possible--my property is 7 hrs away), you will need fresh water.
You can get a pickup truck tank and fill up for free, 300 gallons at a time. if you aren't showering 20 min/day, this can last a good long while (at least 2 weeks for a single guy), but it can be a pain. Sounds like you have some good neighbors that might let you have some water...
You can be even more frugal with water. You have boys, which will make this easier--drinking/cooking water is required, but bathing water can be cut to half gallon/day, if you use a towel/cloth and take essentially sponge baths. My wife will not have this.
I would put water right behind taking the class (seriously this time) as you can ask this and so many more questions both to the instructors and in the member's forum. anyway: class, singlewide/water/septic (you don't need a place to stay long without water, you don't need sewer without a place to stay or water to run down the drain), foundation, logs, materials (roofing, etc)...
water can be a tank temporarily (or permanently in my case), but it depends on your situation.
-Peter

loghousenut
06-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Doc, The water problem will be there waiting for you when you get back. You and your wife want the knowledge and the mindset that you'll take away from class as soon as you can get it. Take the class... But then you already knew that didn't you haha.

ChainsawGrandpa
06-01-2010, 06:07 AM
How deep are the other wells around you? That may (but not always) be a good judge of how deep you will need to go. A well less than 170' can be punched with the Agua Yaku method. Can potentially save many thousands of dollars.
G'pa

DocJ
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I will have to double check with my neighbor but I believe it was around 200 ft. The info I found on a quick google search said they have drilled wells up to 300' using this method. I am very intrigued and going to do some more reading on it. Id like to see how the motorized version of this works. THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO! My one concern is if I can drill my own well and have it meet code.