PDA

View Full Version : Members?

Curtis S.
03-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Started looking at the site of few weeks ago and am planning on taking the Boston class. I was wondering about a couple of things. I have read there are several thousand Members. What puzzles me is that most topics I read the members are only a year or two into it. Where are the long time members? And members forums dont show much activity. Can someone answer this? My other question is if there are any members in the state in which I live (Nebraska) and if any of them have built b&p log homes? Thank You! Curtis

StressMan79
03-13-2010, 01:47 PM
but here are some answers:

members are only a year or two into it:
I have been a member since 2006. However your point is well taken, many members use the forum for a while or to ask questions, then they leave again... Once you get your house built in 2-5 years, I suspect you won't post much either...

My retarded neighbor took the class from skip 30 years ago, and built a pretty nice house... One member started his house in the sticks in the 90's and just got his CO last year... I have never seen a post by my retarded neighbor and have not seen any posts from Paul Kahle for quite a while.

member's section is fairly inactive:
so it seems from a guy without membership credentials. The only posts that show up in the members section to you guys are the ones that are moved from to/from (don't remember which) the public side. There are an average of 20+ posts per day in the member's area.

Nebraska:
Don't know about nebraska... My sister lives in Omaha... I know of a member in W. Central MN...One in SW Iowa... LOTS in the SE, a fairly large contingency from upstate NY, and of course many many here in the pacific NW. You can get logs most anywhere and there are even some members who have built in the code rich and earthquake prone state of CA... so I am sure you can do it in NE, although a members peeling party will be tough to swing...

edkemper
03-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Curtis,

> I have read there are several thousand Members. What puzzles me is that most topics I read the members are only a year or two into it. Where are the long time members?

They are around however, look at the site further. Most of those active on the list are in the process or planning stage of our build. Once you've built your home, you are less likely to be active online as you have no more questions to ask. The nature of the business.

> And members forums don't show much activity.

You can't see the activity as you're not a member, yet. The Member's Only section has far more activity than the non-member side. Hands down.

> Can someone answer this?

Does the above help?

> My other question is if there are any members in the state in which I live (Nebraska) and if any of them have built b&p log homes? Thank You! Curtis

You'll have to wait for nearby members to respond. But welcome.

Curtis S.
03-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. From what I have read it all sounds too good to be true. It seems to work tho for some. I dont mean to be skeptical at all. I am one to try new projects. That is why I want to take the class. I went to a week long retreat in North Carolina last year (2009) on Masonry Heaters. Plan on doing one in the cabin(Home). Thanks, Curtis

rckclmbr428
03-13-2010, 03:36 PM
I took the class in the fall, started building in the spring two years ago, have completed 2, (one small10x15, one big 3300sq.ft) with a bigger one lining up for this summer, the methods work, if hard work doesnt scare you, its a great way to make a wonderful home for yourself with minimal investment, check out my links to see what I have done

loghousenut
03-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. From what I have read it all sounds too good to be true. It seems to work tho for some. I dont mean to be skeptical at all. I am one to try new projects. That is why I want to take the class. I went to a week long retreat in North Carolina last year (2009) on Masonry Heaters. Plan on doing one in the cabin(Home). Thanks, Curtis
It's not to good to be true... It is true that it can be done by anyone who is taken away by this whole way of doing things. I have found that people who like solid, honest, hand-built, things are prime candidates for this method of building. In my opinion, the kind of fellow who is captivated by masonry heaters and the idea of building one into a hand-built house might be the right kind of person for this class and website. The real test is, as you and your lifemate read this forum and search through these photos, do either of you wrinkle your nose and say "Whatnell is wrong with theseboneheads?". If not, you'll most likely be a candidate for a lifestyle change.

I concur with the rest of the responses. The members side of this forum is where the action is. After you've taken the class you'll agree that the members side indeed needs to be segregated from the public side and you'll find it to be a great help as you are actively planning and building.

I look forward to reading your first post after you and your lifemate have taken the class.

Curtis S.
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
No, we dont wrinkle our noses at all. In fact we think they are very nice. My wife and I definetly love the rustic look. Love most natural things, cabins, wildlife,and deer meat. Oh, I do have a problem. My wife cant make it to the class! From what I have read, she should, and I do understand that. I will have to educate her some I know. All she wants is about 1100 to 1200 square ft. cabin with no stairs. I know a loft would be nice but, she doesnt want to clean up stairs when she gets old. (51 now, sure doesnt look it tho).Thanks, Curtis

ChainsawGrandpa
03-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Actually, you haven't been told the good stuff.
It pushes the credibility meter into the red.

Best to learn about the good stuff in class, and
from other members. It's along the thead of:

"YOU BUILT THIS NICE HOUSE FOR HOW MUCH???"
"YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR THIS LAND???"

Caveat emptor:
*You may spend a lot of money on a log home.
*You may not get your land cheap.
*I've bought a lot of very nice land since the class.
*Caveat #1, & #2 don't apply to me (They never will).

G'pa

jrdavis
03-13-2010, 10:52 PM
....My other question is if there are any members in the state in which I live (Nebraska) and if any of them have built b&p log homes? Thank You! Curtis

Chris,
No worries. We TRUE midwesterners (Nebraska/Iowa) are here lurking about.
Once you take the class -- things will all come into focus MUCH clearer.
I am currently out of the country, but will return in 2011 ready to start building.....
I have been gathering things for years and will be looking for your help just across the river from Bellevue.

James.
SW Iowa --Glenwood

loghousenut
03-14-2010, 12:48 AM
I, and most of my fellows, strongly recommend that you take the class together. My wife loved it and she has more than once commented that it wouldn't have worked any other way. You must be on the same wavelength and I think you'll be working with a severe handicap if only one of you goes. Just my humble, though well versed, opinion. If she doesn't want to go along to class with you it's probably cheaper to get the divorce before you get 1/3rd done with your dream home. HA HA ha.

Curtis S.
03-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks James and the rest of you guys who have replied. Ya James I am somewhat familiar with Glenwood. Used to go there when I was a kid. Born in Des Moines, Iowa and have quite a few relatives in Iowa. Are you in the Armed Forces?

jrdavis
03-14-2010, 10:37 PM
I am a Military Brat.....USMC
I am a former Marine.... USMCR
I am now what the military calls "a stinking contractor" working with Biometrics and computers. something the Marines DIDN'T teach me. :+
I came over so I could support the troops, pay off bills, pay off land and get ready to build the LogHome upon return.
I am planning on re-taking the course just as a refresher for me and the wife, but also to pick up anything NEW.

Blessings to you all.
JrDavis

dvb
03-15-2010, 07:55 AM
The forum is only about 5 years old. The association is much older. Take a look at Ellsworth's or Steve's join date and it is 2005.

Shark
03-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Have a look at this post if you haven't seen it already:
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/so-what039s-member039s-section-anyhow

There are plenty of people that have finished building (we are one of them luckily), and usually if there are specific questions for folks that don't come around the forums all the time, someone has an e-mail or a way to contact. This is the most used & most helpful log building forum that I've been a part of.

Class is well worth it.

Curtis S.
03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes, I did notice ellsworth and Steve had 5 years and new they have been there longer than that. I did talk to Ellsworth on the phone about a week ago too. Shark you look like you know what your doing. The interior of your house looks like it was done by a profesional. Very Nice! Thanks, Curtis

jasonfromutah
03-17-2010, 10:27 AM
"I, and most of my fellows, strongly recommend that you take the class together. My wife loved it and she has more than once commented that it wouldn't have worked any other way. You must be on the same wavelength and I think you'll be working with a severe handicap if only one of you goes. Just my humble, though well versed, opinion. If she doesn't want to go along to class with you it's probably cheaper to get the divorce before you get 1/3rd done with your dream home. HA HA ha."

No wiser words were ever spoken! I took the class, with a friend, 3 years ago. Then, I decided to get serious about building a cabin (again). I sent my wife to the class in Vegas (last month). It is so much easier planning, procuring materials/information etc.

We are both on board with the idea and it is MUCH easier than before. Building methods are only part of what I learned in the class. Be resouceful and planning is also what I (we) learned as well!

Basil
03-17-2010, 03:26 PM
i took the class before there was a forum, and started building not long after the forum started. been living in my own house for close to 2 years now, and loving it. Just wish i'd get out of my chair and finish the trim....

it's not too good to be true if you REALLY read what's being said about it. yes, you can do it cheap. Yes, you can do it yourself. NO, IT'S NOT EASY. IT'S HARD WORK. There's a lot to learn and a lot to do. You can spend money, or you can spend time and sweat. If you have lots of one and none of the other, the decision is made for you...

Good luck and hope to see you in the members section someday....

almost forgot, there are thousands of members, but remember, membership began in the 80's (i think) and many people that are members built their house long before there was a forum, or decided it wasn't right for them....

Curtis S.
03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
BASIL, Do you have any pics of your Cabin? I am now POSSIBLY going to get my wife to go the the Washington Class. Boston class was out because she cant get off work. Everyone says to bring my wife! Sounds like a MUST DO to me! Hope she can go if not I may be taking it by myself. I wish they knew if there was going to be a class in Vegas this year. I would like that. More time to plan, airfare for me a little cheaper. Oh well, we will see what happens! Thanks, Curtis