PDA

View Full Version : Log Home Checking

wenzel_777
02-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey all,

With B&P construction, roofs have larger overhangs to protect from water. What about log checking on the exterior? Can this be a big problem for water/bugs? If not, does somebody have an explanation or solution to put my mind at ease? Much appreciated!

StressMan79
02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
generally, checking does not hurt the strength of the logs, but it is definitely not desirable. To minimize checks, you want to minimize the amount of water in the tree when cut and moderate the rate at which the logs dry. There are ways to do both. Both are discussed in the member's section and the class.

You are never going to do away with checking completely, but with the big overhangs, the checks don't fill with water, so minimizing the checks is more than adequate.

-Peter

rocklock
02-22-2010, 12:31 PM
One of our members used synthetic chinking (waterproof stuff) to fill some of her cracks.I have one crack that opened upward and is a rain catcher. It is near my front door. When I opened up the logs I found the crack goes into the center of the log. Hence I plan on doing the same thing for at least several feet until the crack is no longer pointing up. I do not plan on filling cracks that do not catch water presently. I could change my mind. If I do, I will post exactly what I did and why.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/100_4255.jpg
See the third log on the left side to see the crack. It looks small but it is about 1/2 inch wide and several feet long.

wenzel_777
02-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the straightforward answers. Logs are gonna check. I'm a bit worried that I won't notice a problem area when I begin to build, but that's just my inner pessimism. Then again, I plan to build over time, so I'll probably know each & every log like the back of my hand...Thanks to our frugality, my fiance & I are financially ready to take the next class. Been waiting for 3 years...

panderson03
02-23-2010, 06:50 AM
you ask great questions. I have no doubt you'll enjoy the class. congratulations on saving enough to take the class. welcome to the family!

wenzel_777
02-23-2010, 07:11 AM
you ask great questions. I have no doubt you'll enjoy the class. congratulations on saving enough to take the class. welcome to the family!

I don't like to ask a question for the sake of asking a question. I've done enough reading on this website over the years to know when I have a legitimate question/concern that needs to be answered. Plus, I notice a lot of people just like to browse, pick an argument, and they're never heard from again. Not my style. You'll certainly be hearing more from me on the member's side in...oh...I dunno...hopefully 5-9 months when another class opens up : )

panderson03
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
hopefully really soon!

wenzel_777
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
and as of today, we're signed up for the 5/29-5/30 Boston Class....finally coming together!

ccosborne3
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
and as of today, we're signed up for the 5/29-5/30 Boston Class....finally coming together!

Thanks to the powers that be for announcing this so early. I live 40 minutes from Boston but still might do the one at the Wallace Falls Lodge, that place looks awesome. They did a really nice job with it. Then again it might be best to start saving some cash. Either or, it's great news all around and I'm mucho looking forward to getting started. Yay!

panderson03
02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah for the Boston class:)
I think this is the first LHBA class in Boston!
Ccosborne3, we took our class the last week of May 2009 at Wallace Falls Lodge. Nice place!

looking forward to seeing you on the Members side!

fossten
02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow...we were there exactly 30 days later.

ccosborne3
02-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah for the Boston class:)
I think this is the first LHBA class in Boston!
Ccosborne3, we took our class the last week of May 2009 at Wallace Falls Lodge. Nice place!

looking forward to seeing you on the Members side!

I'm looking forward to being there. I've wondered about what it's like over there on the members side for quite awhile now. If you're a non-member the site won't even tell you how many threads and posts there are. It's a wondrous, mysterious, mystery.

When I was a kid I remember wondering what naked women look like. I doubt the payoff will be that good but I'm looking forward to it just the same.

panderson03
02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
:) well .... MAYbe..:)

last year before we took the class someone posted a similar teaser for us, so I will do for you.

this is what the members side looks like

Members forum 1451 topics 15172 posts
Log home construction 1301 topics 13010 posts
Trading labor and deals 572 topics 3349 posts

with all those topics and posts, the members side is even MORE fun that the open forum:)

panderson03
02-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Wow...we were there exactly 30 days later.

... and we've been plotting and planning ever since!

congratulations on finding land. when will the deal be final? how did the perc test go? got any pictures (... not of the perc test....)?!?

Randy A
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Weird... I just found the LHBA?website late last night, spent many hours on it, and finally decided to join the forum (something I never ever do). I was bummed when I?figured out that the classes are few and far between, limited, and thousands of miles from Michigan.

Then this morning?they announce there's going to be a class in May - and in Boston no less.? It's almost?seems like one of those God things?one often hears about. (Hum Twilight Zone tune).

I'm wondering?how?some of you members feel about the need for hands on experience during the class. Boston would be the better of the two locations for me, but the Washington gig is hands on.

I already have a pretty good idea of the work involved and am comfortable with machinery, tools and my ability to do this. Do you members feel the hands on class is really necessary or will give me an advantage in some way?

Thanks for any?advice you can offer.

panderson03
02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't say the Washington is any more hands on than the other. I believe (hey everyone, plz correct me if I'm wrong:)) that there is the exact same amount of hands on in the instruction.

Its just sort of nice for us folks who are visual learners to hear them talk about ridgepoles and RPSL's and girders and cap logs and be able to look up and actually see it. too it helped to see for ourselves how sturdy the construction was first hand.

but if you don't have class in Washington maybe you could visit a LHBA builder near the class or near your home and see it that way?

Randy A
02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks panderson03, went back and checked. I apparently misread the explanations of the two classes. Well, that settles it then - Boston it is.

StressMan79
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
i took the class in Skips huge house. was great to see the stuff in practice, but never once did I rev a saw or grab an axe... Sheave a Block... set up a solar system...

They tell you what you need to know to build the log portion of your home. It is an intense 2 days, but any place you take it, you won't "build" much. If you need hands on experience, volunteer to help a member near you on the member's section. You'll find someone who will put you up and feed you for your help, and you will learn all you could hope for.

Also, the member's section we discuss much more specific topics, such as saving money on basements, sharing labor, log sources, etc. The value of the member's forum is at least half the cost of the class.

P.S. I am looking for some summertime help... If you are in the mood ;)

fossten
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Still snow on the ground, so the perc test might happen next week. Financing is being approved as we speak. This is an oh-boy negotiation so we will probably close as soon as possible.

UPDATE: Pics have been added to the blog.

ramblinman502
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
n if ya stop by..bring some cheesesteaks from philly : )

Not all who wander are lost...

http://s888.photobucket.com/home/rusty_bucket_album/index

ramblinman502
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
i think id take the class where i could get it..n then connect with some members, even if you have to drive a bit, to get inside a butt n pass home. when you see how its put together it all kinda clicks. i took two guys that work for me to VA to see Ronnies place...n that was a good move because they are more jazzed about building now than they were before. so wenzel..if you drive out..swing through kentucky on your way back home and check out our build site ( we might let you do some chinking ; )

http://s888.photobucket.com/home/rusty_bucket_album/index

panderson03
02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I'll trade you my philly cheese steak recipe for your white chili recipe.....

panderson03
02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Still snow on the ground, so the perc test might happen next week. Financing is being approved as we speak. This is an oh-boy negotiation so we will probably close as soon as possible.

UPDATE: Pics have been added to the blog.

NICE! flat land is definitely easier to build on! which direction will you orient the house?

thanks for the pictures!

fossten
02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
The front of the house will face the road, within 45 degrees or less. We're still considering taking advantage of a little passive solar, so it's not set in stone yet. I'll probably run the driveway down the left side about 600-700 feet, and do the power shed thing to save on elec install costs.

Also thinking horse fence along the road and turning to follow the driveway, to simulate a horse run. Might look nice.