PDA

View Full Version : White Pine Log Prices

Timberline
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I saw a local ad for 40' eastern white pine logs (anywhere from 12" to 18" in diameter) that I would have to cut down myself. The guy wants me to make an offer, what are they worth per log?

Thanks, Christopher

StressMan79
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Logs are usually priced at $/MBF (thousand board feet). out west we use scribner scales to determine the volume of wood in a tree. Find out how much a local mill pays per thousand, and subtract off how much you will need to pay to get them transported. Subtract off how much you'll pay a logger to clear the trees, since logging is dangerous work. Even if you have the safety equipment/saws and feel comfortable doing it yourself, pay yourself this amount.

That would be a place to start.

Upers
01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Christopher,

I have seen these same types of logs go from $70 to over $300 in my many many months of research (lots of comments on this fourm)...

I am currently days away from hand picking my live trees to be cut down from a logger for around $200

I think I can get lower, and the logger comment to me was that he can't get $100 for them from the mill

Also the logger said he has to give the land owner half the $ he gets for the log

So start at $50 per log and see what they say!

Also, ask how many they have - I am in Chicago, but building in the UP of Michigan - so I would really like to know.

Yoopers Pat

patrickandbianca
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
If you have to cut and buck them, I would offer him 20 a tree.

Is the entire tree 40 feet or is that the usable length?

Patrick

ragdump
01-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Ragdump

People in Northern California that had fire killed trees were getting little or nothing for them ,they were lucky if loggers would come in and cut them

rreidnauer
01-29-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm with Patrick. If you're doing the work, I'd offer $25 a stick. Doesn't sound like much until you add up how many you're taking, so don't offer a "per tree" price, talk total, like $2500 for 100 trees.

Timberline
01-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
It is a local farmer that planted a bunch of trees 45 years ago as a wind break for is house, so I think he only wants to get rid of 10 to 17 of them but I'll let you know if I come across anymore for sale. I?m not sure how much is usable ? I haven?t seen a photo or anything. If I decide to get them I?ll try offering him 25-$50, my only problem is hauling them, do you think I could haul a 40' log on a 18' car trailer? And if so, how many per load?

rreidnauer
01-30-2010, 07:03 AM
How far do you got to move them? Do you have to go on any main roads?

I have thought about this situation myself, where, if I can find logs close to my property, I may move them myself one to three at a time. I could throw together a pole trailer like the power companies use pretty quick, using the rear portion of an old pickup. I'd just have to find some material to make a 30 foot tongue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/logtrailer.jpg

One wet 40' log is going to be pretty heavy, so moving one at a time is probably best with whatever you'll be towing with.

ragdump
01-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
It is a local farmer that planted a bunch of trees 45 years ago as a wind break for is house, so I think he only wants to get rid of 10 to 17 of them but I'll let you know if I come across anymore for sale. I?m not sure how much is usable ? I haven?t seen a photo or anything. If I decide to get them I?ll try offering him 25-$50, my only problem is hauling them, do you think I could haul a 40' log on a 18' car trailer? And if so, how many per load?

Ragdump
This is what a 40 ft.log looks like on a 26 ft. car trailer

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/0426090925a.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/0426090928a.jpg

ragdump
01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Ragdump

The other problem is lifting the logs , green logs that size probably weigh somewhere around 2000 lbs and the big one one my trailer was closer to 3000 lbs

rckclmbr428
01-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I gave $200 a log for 40' white pine, min. 12" tops with 20"bases, that was delivered and unloaded, I have a horse logger now that is gettingg me the same thing for $175, not delivered

loghousenut
01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
This just in from the guy who thinks you have to make a new tool for each new phase of the job... Several time over the years I have hauled 40' logs one at a time this way. To hook the front of the log to your pickup you can weld a trailer hitch to a 3'-4' long piece of steel channel that has hooks or eyes welded to it to hold the ends of a chain or comealong that wraps the hitch steel to the top or bottom of the log. If no equipment is handy, use a 10' tripod with a comealong to lift the log as you slide the traler underneath it and then lift the front of the log to hitch it to the pickup. You'll want to bind the log securely to the trailer and you'll know right away if the trailer is not square with the log as it'll all track funny.The log must be "nose heavy" on the trailer or it'll be all over the road at 40 mph.

This sort of thing is best left to competent tinkerers with a self-sufficient attitude and it can make the dollars spent on a log truck seem like a bargain. If you have a relatively short haul through the countyside it might save a buck at the expense of time. Take it easy and slow and get used how it trails without showing off or getting cocky. Stay away from traffic and town. If you are not an old hand at this sort of thing you'll either learn quickly or else. I have never had an issue with the police but I'm sure that could be a concern. You're on your own with this one as much as you'd be on your own hoisting a ridgepole so be careful, be sure of yourself, and be aware.

PS... Try to use light truck tires with more tread when you do this.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Archrebuilttotrailer9-09001.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/4thcourse9-29-09001.jpg

ramblinman502
01-30-2010, 10:37 AM
sell me one!...we just finished marking trees yesterday n are working out how were gonna move em around the property once the loggers pull em out of the woods. looks like that would work perfect

loghousenut
01-30-2010, 11:02 AM
sell me one!...we just finished marking trees yesterday n are working out how were gonna move em around the property once the loggers pull em out of the woods. looks like that would work perfect

You'd probably be better served by a logging arch. Somewhere in the thread below is the arch I made and used before remaking it as a pole trailer. Logging arch is much easier and faster to use if you are simply moving them around the property.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/skidding-logs

And if you really want to move them around the property, there are more sophisticated "tools" to aquire. The logs below are both 38' long.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Allen%20and%20the%20forklift/Girderday10-7-09010.jpg

JayK
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Loghousenet, in that last photo it appears you're planning to stack two-at-time.....coming up with some Prefabrication methods are you?....Just kidding! Hey, in the shot with Hyster, isn't that the UGLY log you cut for the door way? That log sure was photographed a log! But you did get great use out of it.

Timberline
02-01-2010, 04:55 PM
How far do you got to move them? Do you have to go on any main roads?

About 30 miles, normaly it would be mostly highways, but I could go back roads and only be on the highway for a few miles.

rreidnauer
02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Yea, that's further than I'd want to go while "trying to get away with something." But then, who knows. Maybe law enforcement is more understanding out in your parts.

How's the saying go? Sometimes it's easier to apologize than to ask for permission.

Shark
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM
How's the saying go? Sometimes it's easier to apologize than to ask for permission.

exactly :)

ramblinman502
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
thats funny..i was just gonna put that in a post...but i know it as..

id rather beg forgiveness than ask permission...lol

loghousenut
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Loghousenut, Hey, in the shot with Hyster, isn't that the UGLY log you cut for the door way? That log sure was photographed a log! But you did get great use out of it.

Jay, The log in the photo with the Hyster is C-8, a fairly straight log that went into the front wall of the house in the 4th course. It was a cinch to set and only required cutting out that one little crooked spot where the entry door will eventually go.

Now log C-4 was a genuine corkscrew and it was our first sill log to hit the stemwall. It was a real booger but we set it in the wall that will have two french doors so we had a bit of fudging room. This house has required pre-cutting door and window holes to get rid of crooks and twists in 2/3rds of the wall logs.

I heartily recommend building with ugly logs on your 2nd or 3rd building. It will either really turn on the left side of your brain and make you a better person for the experience, or it will break you and leave you crying face down in the dust beside an empty bottle. Pity my poor Son. This is the first log building that his Mother is holding him responsible for.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/4thcourse9-29-09001.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/1stsilllog8-26-09011.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/8thcourse11-5-09008.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20logs/Peeling%20logs/P1000904.jpg

Sasquatch
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
I heartily recommend building with ugly logs on your 2nd or 3rd building. It will either really turn on the left side of your brain and make you a better person for the experience, or it will break you and leave you crying face down in the dust beside an empty bottle. Pity my poor Son. This is the first log building that his Mother is holding him responsible for.

I'm still cleaning tea off of my monitor after reading that! I can just see my wife twitching in pain as the OCD kicks in...

Upers
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
sorry to bring this back to the original topic...

Just made final arrangemetns with logger - $2.50 a foot for 40' white pines with 12" min tops - $3.50 a foot for RP which will be about 50' or so

I think I can get all my logs for around $7,500

3 miles from my lot... so no delivery - gunna try to figure that out myself...

Yoopers Pat

patrickandbianca
02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Congrats!

Patrick

panderson03
02-09-2010, 10:20 AM
that is a great deal Yoopers! the best deal on white pine we could find was $4/foot. congratulations!!

anarchyhunter80
04-11-2015, 06:12 PM
We will eventually be building in the UP in Rapid River. Probably a few years from now. Wouldn't mind getting logs later this year so they can season to make them lighter in weight. I know they don't need seasoning for butt and pass however, this would make lifting them much easier.

rckclmbr428
04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
We will eventually be building in the UP in Rapid River. Probably a few years from now. Wouldn't mind getting logs later this year so they can season to make them lighter in weight. I know they don't need seasoning for butt and pass however, this would make lifting them much easier.

It will help when chinking as well, maybe not putting it in, but will cut down on the cracks that opens up

scapula
05-03-2015, 11:04 AM

Do you guys have any idea how much it could be to buy logs this year? I'm in South CO

StressMan79
05-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Nope, but I did get an offer in the mail to buy my timber. Looks like you are 7 years too late.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner