PDA

View Full Version : I wonder

FranksLogWork
01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi there everyone,
I run a log home company in Alberta and was browsing your site, I notice that a few articles on here that imply that all log homes that are scribe fit, or I should say that any builders who use this technique of building are "scumbags" to sum it up. I hand peel my logs personally, use dowels on all log rounds, insulate with P gasket and fiberglass, allow for settling and do all my own setups. I've been in the industry since 1998 and have sustained a good but not elaborate lifestyle from this. All the customers I have dealt with have become close personal friends of ours due to the quality and services we provide after the shell is complete. We are not a build and run company nor are we a fly by night outfit. I think you will notice that if you go to an ILBA site there is no one knocking any type of construction method. In my opinion a "builder" is anyone who builds, and if a customer wants a certain type of construction then so be it. I know of Scandinavian full scribe homes that have been standing for over 25 years without chinking and are doing fine, allowing adequate roof overhang and the proper scribing and cutting techniques as well as the proper finish all contribute to the product. In short I would like to say that I don't consider my homes to be a "kit". To me and most custom log builders a kit is made up of milled logs, not hand peeled. Search the intrnt for KIT homes and I'm sure you'll find this to be true. Taking courses is a great idea to learn technique and I'm sure that time tested results must count for something in the industry. I've looked at the student log homes and allot of them are very nice, I'm not calling any ones work down just suggesting that because "Tom" does it like this that doesn't mean "dick" and "harry" are the same, do you agree or am I truly a deceptive low life log home builder ripping everyone I come to off? Just curios, after all someone has to stir the pot right?
Frank
www.frankslogwork.50megs.com