PDA

View Full Version : Question about the class

samnage
12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
hi,
Hopefully this post in the right place.

I want to take the Vegas class, but have a concern about it (I hope this post doesn't come across as brash or rude).

I'm just an average joe, not related at all to the building industry, so I qualify for the class.

But, why aren't building inspectors or planning dept workers allowed? When I see something like this, I think that the class is teaching shady practices. If the class isn't teaching shady practices, then why don't they let these people in? "we do not want to give the enemy any ammunition. " seems like a very weak excuse. I'm concerned about being taught something that is unsafe or unethical.

Hopefully you understand my question and concern.

Thanks!

rreidnauer
12-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Not brash or rude at all, and happy to provide an answer.

The prime reason is quite the opposite of the suspected shady practices. LHBA constructed homes are generally way overbuilt compared to spec constructed homes, BUT the construction methods are unconventional uncommon. Most inspectors and enforcers only know the most common methods. It's not their fault, that's what the State taught them. So, they don't want to stick their necks out for something they have no understanding of, and you the builder get hassled for their ignorance. Now, you may get lucky and have a very open minded inspector who will be willing to learn, but all too common it's the opposite. Hence the reason you read what you read. It is meant as a last resort. You should work towards good relations with your local officals, but be ready to make a stand if you're going to get blindsided by someone wearing blinders.

I don't know exactly why they don't invite inspector/enforcers in the class to learn from it, but I suspect a lot of it is a carry-over from the original founder of LHBA being a pretty stout independentalist who feels the government shouldn't be sticking their noses in the private business of one building their own home. I must say I can agree with that.

Thanks for the question, and welcome to LHBA.

Timber
12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
has nothing to do with shoddy construction.

i could tell you but then i would have to shoot you.

there is a legitimate reason behind this(no inspectors etc. allowed)-if you take the class you will find out why.

in fact these homes we build must meet code - they design them to extreme weather and snow loads-and if you need more loads more extreme build, they tell you the fix for that- every state is different. there is engineers on here -all have taken the class and help with question builders need answers to.

my stock plans i bought more than meet my codes in WY. Wind and snow--i might beef up the wind speed cause sometimes it has no speed limit-it has blown gust of over 110 mph. shoddy construction no sir,? i believe the stock plans wind speed is 90mph

rocklock
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I have had some experience dealing with a forum that has doubters and folks that question some of the basics of our type of construction. Dealing with someone in the class that disagrees and disruptive is unnecessary. Hence, if you take the class, you will be in group of folks that are there for the same purpose, to learn.

I just noticed 600 posts and almost 5 years... and still learning. BTW, thanks to everyone, esp today - the stuff about Masonry Heaters. Have a great log home building year!

hebrews3_4
01-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I have been checking the site out for several months and would like to take the class. I would like to use some of my own timber to build a log home and I think becoming a member would be a great way of making this a reality.
I am wondering if there would be a benifit to waiting till the class is given in Washington (at the BnP style lodge). I have looked at many pictures of the different log homes but would still like to see one in person prior to actually begining construction. It seems that the class would be more effective with an actual model to view instead of only a classroom setting. I did read the Vegas feedbacks and everyone seemed to be very pleased with the class. I would like to hear from someone who took the class at the "lodge" and if you feel that it was benificial actually seeing the construction method first hand.
I would also like to get some of yourall's thoughts about the Vegas class (and setting) and if you feel that it would be as effective as waiting for a class in Wallace Falls.
Another concern I have is if I don't take the Vegas class then if may be several more months for the next class.

Your thoughts and advice is appreciated.

travelin01
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
gotta say the class there was an experience all in itself, plus seeing that massive structure. I think it would be better to attend at the lodge, but you could attend the a Vegas class and then tour a members house that is closer to where you are. There should be someone within a few
hours of you at most.

This fall my family met up in Bozeman, MT and we stayed at the Lucky Dog Lodge, it's even better to wake up in the morning in a BnP log home than it was to take the class in one. Most everyone in my family had been against the idea of a log home until staying at the Lucky Dog. No more detractors in the front ranks around here.

Good luck

Yuhjn
01-12-2010, 12:11 AM
I am wondering if there would be a benifit to waiting till the class is given in Washington (at the BnP style lodge).

The class really does two things for students.

1. It teaches you to build a log home in the LHBA style
2. It blows away many of your preconcieved ideas about what is possible.

In terms of #1, it doesnt matter at all where you take the class.

For #2, if you come in with an open mind, it doesnt matter at all where you take the class.

I will say that when I took class it was at Skip's house and several times, especially in day 1, some people were still in disbelief about some of the claims and the stock answer was "that's how we did it on this house". There is a point each student gets to where they become "sold" on it. Where they realize these guys really know what they are talking about, what they are saying is going to work, and that it's not too good to be true. I'm sure it's easier to get sold on the entire concept whlie sitting inside a 5000 square foot example of what's being taught.

For me there was an almost magical quality about Skip's house and I was truely in a state of awe about it. I'm not sure how much of that carries over to Vegas. I'm also not sure how much of it needs to. If the class helps students get to the point where they can build their own, that's what really matters.

Personally I would recommend taking the class as soon as you can regardless of location. I'd also recommend finding a BnP log home to check out in person as soon as possible.

fossten
01-12-2010, 06:57 AM
We stayed at Wallace Falls, and it was an amazing experience. The house is huge, and the logs are awesome. We took away a lot of ideas from the construction of the lodge.

That said, I have since visited another member's house under construction, and I can tell you that doing that only reinforces what you learn in class. I'd encourage you to visit as many Skip style homes as possible.

hebrews3_4
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks to you guys that offered your advice.

I now have a decision to make. I checked rates from kentucky to Vegas and they are actually reasonable. I am not the "vegas" type person and have sworn in the past to never step foot in the town, but I may decide to make an exception. With only a month left till the class I will have to make a decision within the next couple days (if there is still space). If i decide not to take this class in vegas, i do plan to take the class this year.

Do any of you know a member in the kentucky area that would be willing to show me their home?

fossten
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
What city are you in?

hebrews3_4
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I am in the central part of the state near Lexington.

rckclmbr428
01-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I grew up just over the river in Huntington, WV though I am building down in VA now, there are a couple good homes built/being built within about 4 hours of you, could always go look at actual homes if you do the vegas class

hebrews3_4
01-15-2010, 07:25 PM
I have decided to take the class in Vegas and actually signed up last night. I looked at your site and was really impressed by what I saw. I would like to travel to VA and tour the house you are building if that would be possible. Let me know if you would be ok with that, and if so, a possible time frame. The class is on Feb. 13th. Should i check out a home before or after the class? let me know what you think.

rckclmbr428
01-15-2010, 07:41 PM
I would suggest taking the class first, that way you have an idea as to whats going on, and if you have questions from the class hopefully I can help point to things I did to anwer them, if you look at my photobucket link starting at the begining it goes pretty step by step through the process, if you drop me an email we will try and make our schedules work sometime in feb

Timber
01-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Yes,?if you can go see it before the class. It will make the, "I can't wait to learn, that? much more??????

The pictures?I see on the Internet of Skip's log house in Monroe, WA. pale in comparison to seeing it and being?in it. Pictures help, but its not like being there!

ramblinman502
01-16-2010, 02:11 AM
im building in oldham co..not far from you at all. were marking trees next week. and stacking this spring.. get in touch after the class i can show you what i have going on.

Ronnie..id like to come out and take a look in feb as well. if thats cool..

put me on your marketing list n ill send out an email blast with the link to the article you have in the paper.

Rusty5150@rocketmail.com

mikerich4
01-16-2010, 05:48 AM
My wife and I will be looking for you in Vegas in Feb. We're excited to be going to the class. Country folk here and I've never flown so this is going to be some kind of experience for me.

Allen Holbrook
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Hebrews I am building in bullitt County ky. After you get back from taking the class you are welcome to stop by and see my project and share knowledge.

hebrews3_4
01-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks, I would like to check as many projects that are close by as i can. I appreciate everyone that has offered to let me visit their homes. I am very excited to attend the class then get back and visit youralls projects.