PDA

View Full Version : Roof Insulation

Rumble
06-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Being in a northern zone, insulating the ceiling/roof is very important (and mandated by the building code).

One of the niceties of log homes are the cathedral ceilings with exposed beams (no attics).

I haven't seen a lot discussed anywhere about roof insulation. Most of the literature speaks of wall insulation factors. Which is all well and good, but a non-insulated roof/ceiling is a huge heat drain or summer heat oven.

Besides using "stress panels" (very expensive) or SIP panels (same expensive and heavy), are there any other insulation methods that would be attractive and yet preserve some of the asthetic value of the ceiling.

spin05
06-29-2005, 03:39 AM
check out atlas roofing web page seems like nice stuff

Rumble
06-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes ....it looks like a good site to start the reading.

I looked at several roofing/insulation sites whithout learning much. This site seems to have a few ideas and products.

rreidnauer
06-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Roof insulation is fully covered in the class and in discussions in the member's section of this forum. It's a very easy method and still maintains the beautiful exposed beams and tongue + groove should you decide to use it.

ets80
01-01-2013, 11:25 AM
You have to use what we call a nailable base. Its mechanically fastened to the roof sheathing/decking. It is a rigid insulation board with sheathing adhered to it at the factory. Obviously the thicker the insulation the better the R Value.

Log Al
01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Take the Class. Skip was a smart and practical man. No fast sales or quick gimmicks here. Thanks Skip !:)

JJ Jr
01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Take the Class. Skip was a smart and practical man. No fast sales or quick gimmicks here. Thanks Skip !:)

So in the stickier code areas in northern states one has no problems doing code easily then following just what is taught in class?

Log Al
01-01-2013, 05:59 PM
That's true but You always have small exceptions to any build that an inspector or dept.wants their way. LHN feeds em muffins and they become agreeable:D;):D.

dazedandconfused
01-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I live in southern pa, I just got my plans approved for my roof, lhba exposed beams to be started in the spring, no problem with the roof if anything it is over engineered.

Timberwolf
01-02-2013, 04:53 AM
So in the stickier code areas in northern states one has no problems doing code easily then following just what is taught in class?

No problems here. The as built roof is easily spec'd to ANY climate you'd care to live in.

panderson03
01-03-2013, 08:55 AM
we're in MN and no problems

LogHomeFeverDan
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Do most use two by six or eight t & g for the roof or is that a question for the members side?

Timberwolf
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I believe most use whatever is available locally at the best price. 2x6 is likely the most common. Structurally, there is no difference for this application.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Hmmmmmm, so what I see in the student pictures, is a rafter, with t & g, then on the outside is there any insulation before the roofing material?

blane
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes, there are a few options on that that you will learn in class.

loghousenut
01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
And the end result is a very well insulated home that exceeds code. "You'll never be too hot or too cold in a properly constructed log home"..... Skip Ellsworth.