PDA

View Full Version : Help with my research at school

Jaak170
09-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Hello everyone!

Let me introduce myself first. My name is Jaak Tihane, I'm 22 years old and live in Estonia (most people don't know where it is, so well, it's in Europe, not in Africa).
I've been studying in a local university for over two years now and it's time for me to write a seminar project or something (sorry, I cannot explain it the right way in English). Anyway, it's quite a big project and should at least contain about 20 pages of text.
This spring I decided I was going to write this project about materials used in the grooves of log buildings (not sure if I'm using the right word "groove") for thermal insulation.

The project must be ready by about Christmas, so there's still time.

And I would like some help with all this. Maybe people could list me some materials and their characteristics, where could I buy them and so on. I would be really grateful for that. In here, Estonia, our people have used moss for example in their houses for centuries (just an example so you could understand a bit bette what I'm talking about :D).

Thanking in advance.

panderson03
09-18-2009, 07:31 AM
We call the stuff between the logs 'chinking'. if you google it you can get more information about chinking in general. if you use the 'search' function on this website to look for 'chinking' you will find many posts about what this group does as far as chinking. again welcome and good luck in your studies!

StressMan79
09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
I am no expert, but I know that oakum, horse manure and hay, moss, mud, adobe, concrete, mortar, permachink, and even bathroom caulk has been used. The list is likely even longer. Basically, the settlers crammed the holes with anything that would block the cold wind from blowing through.

-Peter

rckclmbr428
09-18-2009, 02:26 PM
we moved a log house from the 1800s a long time ago, and it had newspaper stuffed in the chinking (thats how we were able to date the cabin) other things, spray foam, wool, wood blocks, mortar, theres my 2 cents

greenthumb
09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
We call those school projects 'term papers'.

Chinking generally has two components, insulation, and a harder material to protect the insulation. Sometimes these were combined(dung and straw for example). To add to the list, wool, boards and sticks run along the joints have also been used in the past. Are you looking for pictures? I might have some old photographs of a variety of styles of log homes built in the Rocky Mountain region of the western US. I'll see if I can find them if you'd like.

Jaak170
09-19-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm getting much smarter already. Thank you everyone.
But I'd really appreciate it if you could find me some pictures.

About the word "chink" or "chinking". As I understand, people in America often leave kind of like gaps between logs in their houses and stuff these gaps with clay, concrete and so on.

In here, Estonia, it's not common at all. We cut a groove under the log that fits exactly on the other log (you know, scribing or something :D).
I'm just trying to ask if you call it chinking on both cases (stuff between logs that are not scribed precisely and the ones that are scribed precisely).

I'm sure my point is difficult to understand, but I can't explain it any better way :)

JD
09-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Jaak170,
Here is some good background information on the differences between the swedish cope method and butt and pass. Also some information about chinking along with pictures and video. Good luck with your project.

http://www.bearfortlodge.com/bearfort_lodge/category/butt-and-pass-vs/

http://www.bearfortlodge.com/bearfort_lodge/category/log-home-chinking/

Jaak170
10-01-2009, 04:46 AM
Are you looking for pictures? I might have some old photographs of a variety of styles of log homes built in the Rocky Mountain region of the western US. I'll see if I can find them if you'd like.

How about those pictures? I very interested about them.

logguy
10-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Jaak,

Your english is amazingly good! You communicate much better in english than you think--WAY better than the average American!

Good luck on your project.

John

rocklock
10-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Look at my site. I have many pictures of chinking. And I have many more if you like. I am doing a hybrid of what is taught by the log home builders association...

clairenj
10-13-2009, 07:05 AM
are usually filled with some fluffy insulation. This is not the same as chinking. One of the common filler materials used in that groove under the log is sheep's wool which has been treated with boron, which I guess is a salt That type of log home construction is different than what this site promotes. This forum teaches Butt and Pass which uses full round logs, no lateral grooves are cut. The insulation goes between the full round logs, not inside them. Take a google look at the good shepherd wool website. there are pictures of the logs with the wool in the grooves. Happy researching

greenthumb
10-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey Jaak. I've looked around for the pictures(old 35mm photos) but haven't found them yet. I'll do some more looking but it might be another week or so if I do manage to find them. Sorry, but hope I can still help you.

Jaak170
10-16-2009, 04:53 AM
No problem, I'll wait.

Jaak170
10-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Time with my work is starting to kick me in the butt by now. Have to make some sort of Power Point presentation about my research in a few days, so I was wondering if anyone could write some characteristics (strenght, price, thermal insulation etc) about some materials used between logs.
Any kind of information about any kind of material would sure be very useful.

Thanking in advance
Jaak

Jaak170
11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
So... err... how about those pictures? :)

clairenj
11-25-2009, 03:24 AM
http://www.goodshepherdwool.com/contact.htm

good luck with your presentation

greenthumb
11-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Jaak,

I've been looking around for those photos. I'm missing several years worth of vacation pictures, no where to be found. I'll check and see if they might have ended up with family, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to help. Sorry.