PDA

View Full Version : Building your first project

Brendan
09-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Can a person build a barn using the butt and pass method? Would the door on the barn (big opening that most barns have) compromise the integrity of the structure?

Just wondering. I will hopefully be taking the class next year and would like to make a barn my first project before I build our home.

Just wondering.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yuhjn
09-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Well the quick answer is "yes". YOu can certainly build a butt and pass barn. Yes you would be able to put a barn door in it.

Not sure it's the best way to build a barn though. It's an awfully heavily engineered structure to be used to house animals or hay or whatever.

I would think there are cheaper ways to put up a barn than BnP log construction.

Brendan
09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Ok, thanks. I was just thinking that whatever I build as my first project, it should be something really useful. I suppose I could be a simple shed. Is that what most students of the class end up doing?

loghousenut
09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
A pumphouse makes a great little project and it turns into a well insulated pumphouse.

Yuhjn
09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok, thanks. I was just thinking that whatever I build as my first project, it should be something really useful. I suppose I could be a simple shed. Is that what most students of the class end up doing?

Yeah that makes sense. Many members build small practice structures first. Although some just go right into the main structure as well, even members with no contruction experience. You can really do it either way.

If you want to do a practice structure, there are many options. The pumphouse that was mentioned in a good idea. You can do a garage. You can do a guest house. You can do a "fort for the kids".

The LHBA stock plans, some of them, contain plans for a butt and pass garage. Depending on your plans that might be an option as well.

gonehunting
09-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Class of 6/27/09
If you have A dog you might try A dog house.

bmurphy96
09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
My 12 year old son is tasked with the dog house in addition to helping us with the guest house (in progress) and then the main house.

keith

http://www.paragon-cs.com/shiloh

gonehunting
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Class of 6/27/09
Hey Bmurphy96 would you mind me asking what that water well set you back

bmurphy96
09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
120' of well, the tank and pump and a concrete cap cost $2750.

We are getting 30 gallons a minute of water.

?Good thing about living in Florida, the water table isn't very far down...

http://www.paragon-cs.com/shiloh

Yuhjn
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
My well, if I actually have it dug, is expected to cost no less than $20,000 for the complete install. I have been told to plan for possibly double that.

It all depends on where you live.... 40k for a well? Yup when you are at elevation and your land is at the top of a hill. Its a LONG way down to the water table for me.

I'm hoping to build a rainwater reclamation system and do grey-water recycling. I'm hoping to use all alternative means at my disposal to avoid that massive well cost.

loghousenut
09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Any well up to 500' for NO CHARGE... Delivery and installation extra.

PS.... Yuhjn, that'd have to be some good tasting water.

DocJ
09-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Ok Im having a flash back to 70's am western music in my dad's station wagon....

Back on topic. My neighbor put a well in 6 months ago and it cost him 10k so I can feel part of your pain. Im not sure the rainfall in your area but if you look at any home in the midwest circa 1900's, they all had cement rain water cisterns built into the basements or if a rural property they had a separate cement reservoir that was built down into the ground. I remember playing near the opening to one on my grandfather's farm as a child. We kept snapping turtles in it LOL. All water for washing clothes and bathing came from the rain water. They did this because of the hard water (calcium and magnesium) in the well water. If you look at how much water you need for drinking and cooking, it might be worth it to buy it in 5 gallon water cooler jugs at the supermarket (many have the water filter taps in store now). Then install a basement cistern for all other uses. Personally I need to put in a well as I will be raising beef, sheep and perhaps dairy (a few of each) Just a thought.

DocJ

panderson03
09-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Hmmmm. need to look into this further....