PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried building a log house in Japan?

PeeCee
08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here. I'm an American, but I live in Japan and have no intention of returning to the US to live. I'm hoping to build a place near the ocean where I can spend my weekends and winter and summer holidays (I teach at university).

I can I'm trying to work on my schedule so I can attend the Las Vegas class, so I'm hoping that the class will answer a lot of my questions about building.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done any log home building in Japan.

It would be nice to have someone to discuss details like building codes with...

A long shot, I know.

PC

Shark and Bake Queen
08-25-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm a realive newbie to, - Japan and China was my inspiration for my proposed log home. I took the last course in June with my husband we live in the UK but will be going to live in the West Indies (planning to move at the end of the year) and build our log home there so I know what it's like to face everything on your own and not looking forward to the building codes and planning departments etc.. You will not be dissapointed with the course, it is pretty intense and you will learn everything there is to know about how to build and the members forum is a great 'friend' with tons of advice, experiences and genuinely helpful people and it's my life line. Before going to the course see if you can find out about what sort of wood you will have as a resource, contact your planning department to see what they requre so that you can get as many questions together before the course and don't be afraid to ask just about anything - if you can get in the day before to catch up with time difference that would help we were quite jet lagged and must admit needed coffee to get through - the course is the best thing we did, the forum and everyone is the best support we could have - good luck !

DDaniel
08-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Hi Jo Have you found out how you can get logs in Trinidad yet?

Shark and Bake Queen
08-26-2009, 05:21 AM
no not yet am due to travel out in the next couple of weeks, will know more when i get out there; am thinking of contacting the forestry commission, land agents, even staking out some of the timber yards to talk to some of the lorry drivers putting the word out there and seeing what turns up, am clutching at straws at the moment but have nothing else, if you have any ideas will be happy to hear......bty my stock plans arrived on Monday...!

Tanuki
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I lived in Japan for ~6 years and only recently moved back to the U.S.

I first found this site while I was living in Japan and have been interested in building my own log home ever since.

Land, as you know, is a huge expense anywhere you live in Japan.

I know there are owner built log homes. I even visited a recently built one (less then ten years old) in the Wakayama pref. (but it was a friend of a friend of a friend kind of deal, and I doubt I would be able to make introductions. Most of them were western-style log buildings. If you know where to look there are eastern style log homes that are still in use and built a few hundred years ago.

There is (or was) a Japanese language magazine on the subject. (but there is on just about anything) It covered kit, construction, and owner built homes. I can't remember the title of it for the life of me though.

Sorry that this post isin't that helpful, but I know it can be done.

edkemper
01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
My wife is from Tokyo 30+ years ago.

You referenced a log home kit. Our log homes are not from pre-made kits. They are real and solid logs. Read everything on the public side, you'll be amazed.

You back for good or will you be returning to Japan?

Tanuki
01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
If this comment was to me, sorry if I was unclear-

I know that the LHBA class teaches how to make a real log home. The reference I made to kits was in regards to a Japanese language magazine that covers the subject, as well as real log home construction and might be a starting point for the original poster to get legal/building code information about building in Japan.

If the comment wasn't directed towards me, ignore this message please.

edkemper
01-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Sorry, it was to you. I misunderstood your post.

The thought of building both a log home along with Japanese wood style construction would be awesome for sure.

Can't help you with what is doable in Japan though. Welcome.

Tanuki
01-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I found a wife while I was living in Japan as well. We are in the States for good now.

I'm starting a Doctorate program this year so our dreams of building a log home seems farther away then ever.

It will come, but I hope they are still having classes in 4-5 years though.

rocklock
01-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I looked up your location. I presume that your at Manoa. I am substitute teaching algebra at St Louis School for the next two weeks and I live in Aiea about 6 months a year. Take a look at my photo bucket site. If you have questions I have about 3 thousand more pictures. Anyway, if you want to talk log homes - let me know.
fanning@aloha.net

Tanuki
01-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Actually I am in the Pharm/d program @ UH Hilo out on the big Island. I have already had a look at the home you are building, and you should be proud.

Whitehaven Wood Products
08-12-2010, 10:00 AM
The following is an intro note used recently for Mike Holmes, I have been told by many people over the past several years that our product would be perfect for the Japanese Log Home Market, if anyone is interested in the product or knows how to put me in touch with the right people in Japan, I would greatly appreciate it. Visit us on Facebook or at our website: www.soffitvents.ca

We would like to introduce this product:
Over the last 4 years we have sold 100,000 linear feet of our soffit vent strips in BC and Alberta, Canada and are currently introducing it to the Ontario market. We are presently selling to 20 Home Hardware Stores, The Cedar Shop in Calgary, are on the preferred vendors list of Rona and are carried by an Alberta and a BC Distributor.
It would be an honor to supply the Holmes on Holmes series with our product when an episode features the importance of soffit venting to avoid damaging moisture problems.
The Soffit Vent Strips come in two basic styles, two different sizes and in three different woods, Western Red Cedar ? clear or STK, Pine and Fir. Custom orders are available ? We can produce our vents with customer provided woods to match grains and profiles they may be using. Woods such as Baku, Hemlock, special STK (select tight knot) and old growth Cedar have been used.
Labor Saving Easy Installation
Whitehaven Wood Products Natural Wood Soffit Vents are installed right along with your tounge & groove wood soffit material. Vents are as easy to install as any piece of T&G, making it very cost efficient.
Our Vents are notched to achieve a continuous look, when installed one vent will run after the other with minimal need for trimming.
Each Vent comes with a strip of black fiberglass screen that can be easily attached to the back of the Vent with a hand or air stapler.

Hand-crafted with function and beauty in one, making your SOFFITS a proud architectural detail.