PDA

View Full Version : Using Eastern Red Cedar...

Gascozark
08-20-2009, 06:12 PM
What would be your thoughts on using Eastern Red Cedar in the LHBA style of building?

The reason that I ask is that I have a very abundant supply of Eastern Red Cedar, no pine trees at all on my property, and very few available pines in the area.

Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

Thanks!

mlr1968
08-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Attended Class March 25th/26th of 2006.
If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!
They are of good size 12" tops would be great but cedar is usually hard to find in that size range. What height are they? Also taper is sometimes a issue with cedar you might have an 18" butt then 15' up it is 10" that is way to much taper IMHO. Idealy the straighter the tree the better.

Gascozark
08-20-2009, 06:32 PM
They are of good size 12" tops would be great but cedar is usually hard to find in that size range. What height are they? Also taper is sometimes a issue with cedar you might have an 18" butt then 15' up it is 10" that is way to much taper IMHO. Idealy the straighter the tree the better.

Agreed. I have trees that are tall, trees that are big , and trees without much taper...but these traits are tough to find all in one tree. I may have to start scouting around (with my GPS to mark locations) and get a rough count of just how many usable trees that I really have.

Thanks and keep it coming!

Gascozark
09-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Hmmm.... 3 weeks and no further replies. Is this a sign that I should not bother with the cedar?

loghousenut
09-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Waiting and wondering what your cedars look like after you took that gps into the woods with a tape measure. If it turns out that you have 60 or more that are good sized I was gonna egg you on a bit. They will most likely have a lot of taper and swelled butts but there are ways to deal with it if your trees are large enough.

It's your move. Whatchagot?

Gascozark
09-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Okay...you got me. I've got lots of excuses, but the fact is that I just haven't had time to get out and hunt the trees down. But...here I am on the dang computer....maybe I better go start that hunt and see what I have...
I think that I may have several trees that fit the bill over around the bluffs above the river.

Gascozark
09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
I did go and look at some trees this afternoon. Upon close examination, I'm pretty certain that I can get a 30+ foot log out of these trees. BUT...the taper is worse than I thought. They are 16-18" about 4' off the ground (I was measuring by reaching around trunk). But they look to be around 8-10" around the 30' mark. Seems like I've read that the ideal LHBA taper is no more 1" every 10'. If that is so...are these trees worth messing with...or should I start looking for some pines (which I have none of on my property)?

Timberwolf
09-13-2009, 05:52 PM
IF the logs are all pretty consistant in size, diameter and rate of taper.

However, you will probably need to source some pine or other log species, for structural members in you house, as cedar isn't that strong (but fine for wall logs).

rckclmbr428
09-13-2009, 06:12 PM
my logs averaged 20" on the big end, and around 12 on the skinny, I actually like the big taper, keeps it from ever being mistaken for a kit house!

loghousenut
09-13-2009, 09:57 PM
I did go and look at some trees this afternoon. Upon close examination, I'm pretty certain that I can get a 30+ foot log out of these trees. BUT...the taper is worse than I thought. They are 16-18" about 4' off the ground (I was measuring by reaching around trunk). But they look to be around 8-10" around the 30' mark. Seems like I've read that the ideal LHBA taper is no more 1" every 10'. If that is so...are these trees worth messing with...or should I start looking for some pines (which I have none of on my property)?

Keep looking until you find 50 or 60 that are 24" at breast height and 12" at 35' and you'll have the coolest house in the neighborhood.

Shark
09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Cedar? Sure! If you can make the taper work, why not?
Very cool looking IMHO.

Check out the student home here if you haven't already seen it:
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/dale-family-log-home

Gascozark
09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Cedar? Sure! If you can make the taper work, why not?
Very cool looking IMHO.

Check out the student home here if you haven't already seen it:
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/dale-family-log-home

That place is awesome! I wonder how big the place is? How long do you think those logs are? 50 ft?