PDA

View Full Version : Short Logs/vertical construction and joining logs.

jason71832
08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey everybody. Well I haven't made it to take the class yet but I just a had a question or two concerning available timber where I live. If we could only get good straight logs say 20ft can they be joined together using L notches and spikes and still use this system. My wife is not crazy about a 2 story, so we may be looking at a 60x35 single and I know I won't find enough 60ft pines here. The other option we looked at was using vertical construction because of the lighter weight, single story and ability to use shorter logs....but I have issues with shrinkage and chinking falling out and the whole thing not being tied together as in butt and pass. Has anyone built a large single story, joined multiple logs on one straight run, or dealt with vertical building. We are selling our home and looking to build a new one dried in for under 10K and finished for under 25K, paid as we go.....what does everyone think.....INPUT PLEASE. NO MORE MONTHLY PAYMENTS!!!!

edkemper
08-12-2009, 06:40 PM
You need to take the class. I believe all your questions will be answered in a way that'll be logical. Trust me, go to the class and you'll get answers to questions you don't even know you have.

Timber
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
under 25k for a big house--if I told you no, you might believe me and not try. Barter, free items on craigslist, It

might take awhile to get your materials, but ok, say you can come close-maybe not the land though included.

There have been members who used the vertical build

(cant remember what they called it but can be used with shorter logs) the joint method you could do /but its not recommended

loghousenut
08-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Once you take the class. Jason, I can hear the echo of my own voice, over 20 years ago, asking some of the same questions that you have asked. Take the class and rest assured that your questions, and outlook on life, will change greatly. All that you ask about is possible. Most of what you ask might not be the best solution to the problem. Take the class. You'll be thankful for what happens.