PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to? (tools)

Shannonbeth
07-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Hello everyone!

I am wondering if a person would be wise to buy some of the tools before the class or just wait till after? I'm going to be attending the Vegas class in october.
I was thinking of maybe getting a few of them so i have? Like the Drawknife and things like that. I already have hammers, saws and that stuff at home here.
What's ur opinion on tools? How many should a person have and what ones can you not do without? What gets more use than others?
Just curious!!

edkemper
07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Wait. Take the class and then start the process. The class is the very first step. After the class, the next step is getting on the "members only" part of the list. Try to read every post on the board even before you go to class. In the members only section, you'll get a lot of help in what you need and where to find them cheapest.

Yuhjn
07-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I suggest waiting until you've taken the class.

In fact your post has a good example of why you would wait, right inside it.

If you buy, for example, a draw-knife. One of the first things you'll hear in the class is "peel with a spud, not a draw-knife".

Many members have chosen to ignore this Skip Tip, but you may choose to take that advice and now you're stuck with a draw-knife you dont want to use :)

StressMan79
07-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Got it in a crate of rusty tools with a bunch of chisles, hammers, wrenches, etc. They were all made in america, and good quality one I cleaned them up.

And I used the draw knife, not for the logs, but for railings, etc. A draw knife works well to take off little 3/8" knots off green poles.

However, I would suggest buying tools that you will want anyway and can get for cheap. I paid $25 bucks for the crate-o-tools. Keep your eye open and pick things up as you want, but don't pick them up "cuz you'll need it for the log home." You'll be surprised how little you actually need to build a log home.

-Peter

Timberwolf
07-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, I'd definately look for big ticket items that you know you will need but are also easy to resell later, if you end up not building for a while, because it may take some time to find deals.

Things that jump to mind are:

Milwaukee Hole Hawg or Super Hawg
A good quality chainsaw (Stihl or Husky)

These tools should also be practiced with (at least the saw, but the Hole Hawg can knock you around too) in a safe manner before you jump in and start building, to gain confidence and be sure you don't hurt yourself.

Aside from that, if you plan to do most of your own interior work, then you will need the basic standard carpentery tools, might be worth while picking up some popular books on things like framing, drywall, plumbing and electrial, deciding what you can tackle, then looking for some of the applicable tools, since these will not differ much if at all from these tasks in a stick framed home.

Of course, you can fill a barn with tools, and never have the one you need, until you need it.
Good luck

Annie J
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
My brother-in-law in my favorite movie line; "the horror, the horror"
The husband and I have lots of practice on the inside of the house, trying to remodel so we can sell and get the heck out to the country and build a log home. Like you said, "all the tools and never have the one you need". Every project we start, we budget so much for and end up spending 2 times over. Need more tools.
We're ready for the inside. It's the outside we need to learn about..........and collect more tools.

panderson03
07-21-2009, 05:18 AM
I agree with Stressman and Timberwolf, that if you find great deals on stuff you know you'll need it sure is OK to buy them now. But my problem was, until I took the class I really wasn't sure what I needed!

Shannonbeth, if you have experience working with tools so you know what is you need, I'd say go for it! but I'm glad I waited.

Shannonbeth
07-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Thank you all for replying. I think i will wait to purchase tools i am not positive as to what i will all need, i have some already of course collected and used over the years, i have chain saws, table saws, hammers, screw drivers, and all that kind of stuff.
~Shannon~

Basil
07-21-2009, 01:32 PM
actually, i use a draw knife all the time on my home. Cedar hand rails, banisters, furniture, etc. all need to be shaped with these wonderful tools.

Having said that, wait until you've taken the class. You'll understand when you get through.