PDA

View Full Version : Mildew removal ideas?

Beda
05-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi, just "joined up" with LHBA in order to communicate with other log home builders. We now have our walls up and a roof on but are having terrible problems with mildew. We've used bleach mixtures and a power sprayer but the mildew returns the next day. Does anyone have other suggestions for ridding the logs of mildew? Do we go ahead and put a sealant on despite the mildew? Would appreciate any ideas or information. Thanks...GA girl

ChainsawGrandpa
05-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Ozone generator.
Get a big unit, or several big units.
Seal-up the house and get out for
24 hours. Ventilate well before re-entering.

-Rick

Loghomeguy
05-24-2009, 05:57 PM
In Orleans Parish post-Katrina we did soda blasting, I was there and in Mississippi for a year. This was required by code people after we gutted homes and before we could re-drywall, it has been touted as the easiest and quickest way to remove mold.

Some members use a borate solution IMMEDIATELY after pressure washing. research all of this on google :)

I would also investigate the other suggestions here by inputting "mildew" in the upper right "search" if you do that you will find the answers are here already,,,

here is a link to a video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obXAnWaRXVg

Mikey, class of 1987

Shark
05-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Sounds like you need to try something other than water, stop the moisture & it should help stopping the mildew.

I would NOT put any type of sealer/stain until you get everything cleaned up & dry. If there's junk under it, the stain will just seal it in, won't be pretty. Also, most stain need the logs to be a fairly low moisture content, so after cleaning they may have to sit a while.

We used a Jomax/bleach mix (recipe is on the back of the bottle) to get rid of a bit of mildew/mold/dirt after the building process, then borate treatment, then stain. No issues since.