PDA

View Full Version : finding logs in Seattle area

APGBalboa
05-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I signed up for the class in June but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of companies i could go to start pricing out logs, in case the site I buy does not have adaquate trees/logs. thanks

tony

edkemper
05-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Wait for your class and you'll be happy you did. You will get most of your biggest questions asked and answered there.

loghousenut
05-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree... wait for class. My logs came from a Craigslist ad and I'da never known what I was looking for before the class. For now kep reading these forums and pouring over the photos on this site.

adubar
05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Welcome APGBalboa,

Where abouts are you looking for land?

Finding logs will be one of your least worries in WA. The class will show you what you need to know. Also, the local lumber industry is in flux at the moment, so I would venture to guess you can find deals now more than ever within the state and bordering states (even BC). However, like the realestate market, some in the logging industry are hold-outs thinking that down turns don't impact them. Pass them by.

Also, if you are pressed for time, you WILL inevitably pay more. If time is on your side, take all the time you can to reseach before buying.

Rob B.
05-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I have to build a traditional style Adirondack Shelter at a Boy Scout Camp in Michigan. I have plans for a few different methodologies of jointing the corners and building the foundation. I'm hoping someone could offer some directions on where to get logs from. I haven't done a material take off yet, but the it's basically a three sided building with an open front. The length of the logs for the backwall is approximately 16ft. The logs for the sidewalls will be approximately 14ft. The shelter itself will be about 8' high. With the impact of the economy and the big three around here funding is difficult to find. I'm hoping someone would have some ideas where to get raw logs donated from.

Thank you so much!
Rob