PDA

View Full Version : Questions about building codes in Florida/hurricanes

flynavyp3
04-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Hello all! I discovered this website several years ago but, being military stationed in Florida, haven't yet been able to make the trip to WA for the class. I'm currently forward deployed (going home in 2 months; yeah!) and still daydream about building a home, but I had a few questions that I didn't find addressed in other forums so I'm posting them here. My family currently lives in Pensacola, and I know building codes have been adjusted since Hurricane Ivan came through in '04, so I'm wondering if anyone is up to speed on current building codes in FL; can you still build a log home by yourself legally? What about hurricane survivability? I know the website mentions at least one home in WA that has survived a major earthquake, but what about wind resistance? Also (asking for personal opinions), I've hesitated to take the class, start making preparations and begin the building process because, being military, my orders assign me to a location for 2-3 years at a time but I don't know where I'm going after that. For those of you who have already completed a home or are currently working on one, would it be worth it to attempt to build one in that amount of time? If I have to wait until I'm "settled down" in one location, I'll have to wait another 10 years, which would be very disappointing but I would rather know that up front than begin the process and then find out that it's not feasible. Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shark
04-25-2009, 01:15 PM
I know there is one member somewhere in Florida getting ready to build. As far as hurricane resistance, your engineer will likely have you add some stuff to help keep the roof attached incase of high winds.
Guess you won't have to worry about snow loads like many others.

If you have some $$ and are willing to put some hours in, I think you could build a house in under 3 years. I took the course in Feb 2006, & we started building in Sept 2007. Moved in end of March 2009.

I guess it may not leave you with much time to live in it & enjoy it, but if you only plan to build then sell, I think it's a do-able timeframe.

PS, thank you for serving the country!

chadfortman
04-25-2009, 05:11 PM
First thing i gone do is tell you do allot back ground on the area becuse if you dont it could bite you in the butt like me.
I never meet such a bunch crooked people in all my life but in Page county Va if i know this town was gone put me threw this i would bought else where.
Make certains they laied back and will not make you walk on pins and neadles to build a log home.
Fines and permits can add up fast and make not worth it to build in strict areas.
I watched my land price worth go from 3k to 20k in one year i smell a rat.
Dont buy in a home owners area not worth the head problems your nebors will give you.
Buy as far out as you can from people but as close to your work as you can.
Codes have gotten harder but a log home build better then any normal home.
Its fun hard work thats worth it to me.
Seya

flynavyp3
04-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Shark,

Thanks for your comments. I checked out your blog; GREAT looking house! I'm going to tell my wife to check it out; she has a background in interior design, and she hasn't been entirely excited about log construction, but your home looks really nice and I think it may help bring her onboard with the whole idea. This question is probably addressed at the class, but since I haven't taken it yet I'll ask you: you mentioned building a house to sell, so I guess that means everything is coded, inspected, etc. to be fully marketable? Somewhere along the way I got the idea (from friends?) that if you build a house for your own use it doesn't have to meet certain codes, but if you want to sell it then it has to be up to code. A) I don't know if that's true, and B) I didn't know if any "loopholes" like that were exploited to make the building process easier/faster. Although I'm pretty proficient at building things (engineering background), it would be reassuring to know everything is already certified whenever the day comes to sell it.

38 days left in country! WooHoo!

Shark
04-27-2009, 03:10 AM
It really depends on the area you live in, it might be different state to state, or even county to county.

We're in Indiana. We "followed the rules" & had all our inspections, so we'll get a C/O & it will be no different than any other house when we sell (plan to build a second one).

We did find out, 1/2 way through the building process, that in Indiana, there's an addendum to the building codes, that states as long as the owners are building a house for themselves to live in, doing the majority of the work themselves, no inspections are needed. We will likely pursue this option on house#2 since we won't plan on selling it.

Hope that helps,

StressMan79
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Are available in some counties, but my inspector (who I won't have to deal with on this build) tells me that you don't get a CO with an owner-builder permit (not that my county offers one anyhow). If I were to build/sell one in 2 years, I would make sure I got all my inspections and built in a marketable location. Also, I don't know how long you have to have your CO to qualify from the tax deduction for homeowners. You might not get that for almost 2 years, and if you sell after 2.5, you'd want to not claim that as income.

I would also like to thank you for your service.

-Peter