PDA

View Full Version : How long can a log cabin last?

srooks
04-23-2009, 03:32 AM
My boyfriend was curious about how long a log cabin can last. He is from a different country and they use brick.
I have no idea and tried google-ing it. No luck there.
Thanks

dvb
04-23-2009, 04:15 AM
A properly built and maintained log home could last centuries. If you look around on the internet historical sites you will see examples of that.

Basil
04-23-2009, 04:38 AM
There are log homes here in kentucky that are 150-200 years old. I recall some in scandanavia that are 500 years old, but I can't recall where.

Yuhjn
04-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Dont forget those 200 year old homes are built from very high quality old-growth timber.

Most of our homes are built with new growth. 30+ years old.

The density of the growth rings is significantly different as is the longevity of the logs.

That said, a properly built log home, done in LHBA style, will last generations with moderate maintenance.

Notching corners, using the "chinkless" methods, will all reduce the longevity of the logs. That's one reason we dont do that.

And finally for perspective: A well built LHBA log home will outlast a stick built home with equal amounts of maintence given to both. Probably far outlast it.

trwjrmarine
04-24-2009, 02:53 AM
St. Augustine, Florida is home to the oldest standing structure in America. It is a log cabin school house made of cypress the eternal wood. The oldest living organism is supposedly the mesusula cypress tree and I have seen articles were cypress logs have been pulled from ponds that are five thousand years old.

rocklock
04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I have thought that wood was fairly destructible.
During our trip to New Zealand, I ran smack dab into information that altered my perceptions about wood. First, NZ has restrictions on cutting trees. So they have started using what ever they find. I have a wooden bottle that was cut from a fence post. It has incredible wood and was cut on a lathe. Second, they are mining wood that is between 5 and 8 thousand years old. I have a plate (made by this guy http://www.ancient-kauris.com/ ) that is about 5 thousand years old. I also have a misshaped wooden bowl that is about 8 thousand years old. Finally, they have a Kauri Museum ( http://www.kauri-museum.com/ ) that has logs and amber and other stuff that is about 50 thousand years old. Something about a volcano that sealed and buried lots of trees...

So, wood can last much longer than I thought. I expect my log home to last as long as the roofing lasts that protects my logs from water. So if my roofing lasts 10 thousands years so will my home!

mlr1968
04-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Attended Class March 25th/26th of 2006.
If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!
Is based on several factors, species to an extent, but build methods will make a wooden structure life greatly inhanced. Large overhanges, the wood off the ground enough to prevent rain splashback etc. A structure in Japan called the Pagado (not sure on spelling) is the oldest wooden structure in exsitence if memory serves me correctly. Wood or logs protected from direct rain will weather away at the rate of 1 centimeter per 100 years, according to some info I have on log building. Again the climate and other factors all play into this equation.

ChainsawGrandpa
04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
When I was in class, Skip said to expect 200 - 500 years
IF:
*You build on piers (ventilation).
*Use 6' eaves (protection from sun & rain).

It all depends on the care & maintenance, design,
and how it was built.

I sold our 1967 house. It required MUCH remodeling.
I'm renting a 1978 house. It is an absolute piece of junk.
It's falling apart, and this is an (ahem) "Executive" home.

Skip's house is about 1980 vintage. It appears to
need no repairs or updates.

Over the many years,
you may move walls, change carpet or cabinets, but
a good design will take little upkeep and the basic
structure should last many decades to several centuries.

-Rick

ets80
01-01-2013, 12:06 PM
A modest built cabin with steel roofing will outlast your lifetime.