PDA

View Full Version : Log Home Foundation Walls

thom
03-16-2009, 07:51 AM
I plan on building a 2 story log home with a walkout basement. The home will be built on a slope.
I'm familiar with poured walls, but am wondering about prefab walls. I understand they sit on gravel with no concrete footings as is the norm. They also can be easily insulated and have areas for wiring, etc. Considering that I will be living in this home for quite a while, I want to do the right thing. The expense is secondary. I figure there is no sense building a durable and long lasting home with a foundation that may be questionable for this application.
Anyone who has had experience with them, good or bad, I'd like to hear from you. Naturally, their own website boosts quite a bit of advantages . Thanks.

rocklock
03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
thom,
With out doubt, the easiest way to build a basement is by using icf's. We have a member that poured the footer on Thursday, and then poured his basement walls the next Thursday.
Icf's are insulated concrete forms. Check it out. You can do them your selves. I did. Look at my home pictures...
OBTW, two other member also did the same thing. I have another neighbor that also has an ICF basement.
If you want to see more pictures, let me know and I'll post more in the ICF area.
Good luck

rreidnauer
03-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I think you'll find when you do the engineering checks, that the Superior Walls precast foundations will not have sufficient bearing area to support the weight of the house.

Timberwolf
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Not necessarily for the best foundation.

I'm with Rocklock on this one, go ICF.

thom
03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys for your input. And thanks Rocklock for the pics. I will be looking into ICF's.