PDA

View Full Version : Question for Newly Minted Members (24-25 January 2009 or Prior Class)

s1157564
01-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Newest members,
An open ended question for you, having just taken the class and learning what you have learned from it, is there anything that you wish you would have/could have/ should have done prior to the start of class that would have enhanced your learning experience during the class? I will be attending the February 14th and 15th 2009 class and I would like to arrive as prepared as possible in order to learn as much as possible. Any thoughts or insights you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

John

StressMan79
01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
LHBA member since 2006

I would say that
1) make sure your spouse is on board. I finally got mine to go with me on this adventure, but not without a lot of talks about politics/money/budget/etc. Bring Him/Her to the meeting. I didn't and I regret it.
2) Bring an open mind and a pen/pencil. You will learn so much this weekend that your brain will hardly be able to take it. Skip used to teach the techniques in a hands on class--it took weeks and weeks. You will leave with the confidence that "I can do that" and the tools to do it with. The members section of the forum will answer any specific questions you may have.
3) start some soul searching--what do you NEED and what do you WANT? What is doable? When I took the class, I thought I was going to build in Alaska, Dick Proenekke Style. My wife talked me down, saying "you'll never finish it in AK. You can build in WA." She was right. But start thinking about the differences between needs/wants. Do you need a 7000 SF home? If so, you can build one. But not cheaply, I'll reckon. Can you get by on less than 2000 sf? You have come to the right place! Also, do you need power? Hi speed internet? Sewer/trash pickup? I know that one member DOES need HSI, but I have decided that I don't need any of these right now. Once you start looking for land, you'll have lots of decisions to make, and the answer to this question will help you immensely.

-Peter

missedcue
01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks a lot Peter. Everyone on this site has a great attitude towards life.

After a few years of living rough, my wife and I have a good idea of what we want and what we can do without, hell, we spent this entire year without a phone.

I've read on the site that sometimes years go by without a workshop, and that there are no set plans for workshops in 2009. Obviously I'd like to get started learning ASAP. If there are no workshops this year, is there enough information and support in the members section that I could successfully build a house for under $20,000? (discounting the potential expensive land)

~Chris

StressMan79
01-26-2009, 02:26 PM
LHBA member since 2006

You could possibly build for nothing...Most members don't have that kind of patience though. That would probably take ~10 years of living on your land in a mobile home (MH). My budget (including land, but not including appliances/solar panels) will run a hefty 80k. Not too bad for 20 acres, water, and a KILLER view. You could do it for less. I saw some plots for ~700/acre. No trees or water--then again, you can buy logs and get a tank-trailer and just fill up once a week until you have the ability to drill a well.

LSS, you could build for 20k, but I would budget that for a start (I hope to get my shell done for ~20k). and build as you can.

On workshops, they aren't (every third weekend) or anything like that. I would guess that there will be at least one more this year. They often schedule them around 3-day weekends. Watch out for memorial day, 4th of July, Labor day and around the holidays. Sign up for the automatic updates, and sign up when you get a chance.

-Peter

NM bound
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi:

Also, brand new (as in 10 minutes) am trying to sign up for the Feb/Mar class. For some reason at checkout - it is not opening the credit card payment area.

Any ideas? Will provide intro after I get the class taken care of.

Thanks for any & all suggestions!

NM bound
01-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi:
Disregard earlier msg for help in getting signed up for the class.

Mission accomplished.

Kola
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Congrats NM bound.

Once the LHBA Homeland Security Crew does a complete FBI screening and backround check, some blood and urine samples, full DNA testing and then onto some simple agility performance tests (5 mile run and triathalon stuff) you will most likely be allowed in!

:)

just kidding!!!

welcome aboard and have fun at the class!
Kola

NM bound
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
And here we thought it might be difficult - Piece of cake!

Kola, have thoroughly enjoyed your tipi adventure. That is one beautiful piece of Heaven you have!

More next time.........gotta go search for low cost flights, cars etc.

Looks like the lodge makes the most sense..... any other thoughts

also have to fine a cool signature line.........
we are so delighted to on board - well -almost..........

Yuhjn
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
could successfully build a house for under $20,000? (discounting the potential expensive land)

~Chris

This kind of question is pretty common, but unfortunatley the answer has to do very much with your personal situation. So many variables are involved that it's impossible to answer that for you specifically.

If you find land with house-quality timber on it, you can use that to save as much as 10k just on the logs alone. Then if you have enough to mill it down into dimensional lumber you have your rafters, joists, even your flooring and most of your roof! Of course you need a sawmill and you need a lot of timber on your property.

On the other side of the spectrum there are plenty of build sites that will cost you that entire 20k just to get a well in. Add to that contractors for foundation and septic and you could be 30k+ into it before you even add the cost of the logs, dimensional lumber, insulation, electrical, water, appliances, flooring, alu roof, chinking, and so on. Oh and dont forget tools!

It also depends on how much time you have on your hands. And also your level of experience. The more experience you have the more you can find deal and cut costs. Same goes for time.

20k and the right attitude is a great start. I'd say you're on the right track and as long as you take the class before you spend any of that 20k, you'll be in a good position.

Some members have built for nearly nothing... but they spent years looking for deals, trading labor for materials, and so on. Other's will spend hundreds of thousands. It's all very personal depending on your personal situation.

spiralsands
01-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I think it would have helped me to be a little more familiar with certain terms for parts of building construction and methods of woodworking but everything was put in such elementary terms that it wasn't hard for me to figure out what was being explained. Also, I thought it was more beneficial to write my own notes and draw pictures of stuff like the girder spiking method than to depend on the handbook. If I drew things out, I remembered them better.

It was after the class that I really educated myself by loading up on books on all aspects of construction and tackled several major home improvement projects on my own house. I gained hands on experience by replacing all the windows in my house by myself and by gutting and renovating a bathroom from the studs in, drywall, tub, tile, everything. I also repaired my fascia and soffits for rotten wood and have poured several sidewalks. All this gives me confidence that I'll understand the materials and how my house will go together and it hones the skills I'll need to do a good job.

Frances

Shark
01-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Also, I thought it was more beneficial to write my own notes and draw pictures of stuff like the girder spiking method than to depend on the handbook. If I drew things out, I remembered them better.

Frances

Yep, I did the same thing, really helps to make sure you don't forget anything, since they teach so much good stuff in a relatively short timeframe.

missedcue
01-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Thanks Yuhjn,

It sounds like I have a ton of research ahead of me... I'm just really excited to start learning more, and a little annoyed that I will be comming back to the states the day after the workshop ends. I hope there's a new one soon.

Thanks for the reply.

tanderson
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I recently took the class and I am glad I did. As far as prep. for the class? I wish I would have dressed warmer. I guess I'm use to Cal weather, but being cold is distracting. I borrowed a GPS unit so I could find my way around WA. That was a big help. I drove to the Wallace Falls Lodge the day before class, mostly for something to do but I wanted to be sure I could find it (not everything is on a GPS). The internet doesn't do this lodge justice. It's soo big! I would have loved to see Skip's while I was there. I took a moderate amount of notes. A workbook and CD are supplied also. I'm still very early in the process of a log home, but I'm seeing the beauty of going with the "smallest you can afford". For lodging, I stayed in Monroe at the Guest House Inn. I think it was $79 (+tax, fees)/night with the LHBA discount. It was a very nice place. I had a king size bed, very nice room, free continental breakfest, and it was very clean. Plus it is close to everything (except the class).
I hope that helped, at least a little bit.

Tom
Attended class January 24-25, 2009

Tom Featherstone
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Tom,

Congrats upon finally taking the class, I've read many of your posts, seeing that we've signed up at about the same time. Skips place is Awesome! I hope that things work out that We'll be able to see it again. We stayed at Wallace Falls Lodge when we were there, it is wonderful and we had a great time there with other members taking the class.....That reminds me....My Wife & I have a new anniversary coming up... Class of 04-08

Congrats Again Tom!!

Tom

Curt Hicks
01-30-2009, 07:19 PM
sup tanderson
you said your from Cal. is that north or south?? I am from the Sac. area, up in the foothills...still waiting to take the class (living in japan now) but will be back in the states this summer to stay...then will be taking the class..keep in touch^0^