PDA

View Full Version : electric baseboard heaters

Michael Kelley
01-24-2009, 05:34 AM
I am trying to decide which heating system to install in a new log home we are having built. The log home is only approx. 1,800 sq. ft. with two living areas, three bedrooms, kit. / dining. We will use the log home as a rental as well as personal use when not rented. The home will only be occupied approx. 150 - 180 days out of the year. It is being built in Red Rvier, New Mexico ( 8,700 ft. elevation ) and has extreme temperature changes. Air conditioning is not required, but winters are cold and last 5 months. I am leaning toward the electric baseboard heaters with individual thermostats because of the low initial cost. Any ideas, comments, or suggentions?

Thanks for any help or info,

Mike

Canucks
01-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Michael:

If you are not there full time, you will have to maintain some heat in the place while you are away. We will be installing base board heaters, but ours is only a 20 x 20 (500-600 sq feet) and we will also be using our place part-time. We will also have a wood burning stove for our main heat when we are there. Electricity can be very expensive, so you will have to balance the alternatives in cost, effeciency, ect.

Canucks

rreidnauer
01-24-2009, 07:54 AM
As much as electric baseboard would normally be a last choice for me, I'm going to second the motion. For a place which may be vacant much of the time, electric baseboard is the most reliable heat. Even if one unit fails, the others continue working. No moving parts. (other than the bi-metallic thermostat) Yes, it will be a little pricey, but keep the heat at 50F (usually "low" on the thermostat) while you're away, and all should be good. (one should turn the water off if gone for any amount of time anyhow, since even a washer hose could blow in a 70F house) And remember, the better you insulate, the less the heat will run. (better to conserve than to produce)

huffjohndeb
01-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Plumb your house so that fresh water drains very easily pour a little RV antifreeze in the traps and toilet bowls then turn off the heat. You also have to worry about icemaker lines and washing machine hoses. Ice maker can drained with a Tee. Washers hoses could also be TEE'd. This assumes you would not be there for an extended amount of time.

lbrowne
02-03-2009, 10:20 AM
With the thermal mass of a log house, I'd greatly lean towards having a wood stove or furnace. It'll give warmer/stronger heat for warming the whole house. With a wood stove vs fireplace insert, the wood stove is fully exposed and utilizes the heat output better.

Radiant floor heat would be great. Gas heat would be good.

Baseboard electric heat would be my last choice. Doable for back-up or regional heat, but not as much warmth from it and more expensive.

~ Linda