PDA

View Full Version : Log size

davids
01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Hi all. I'm fairly new to the forum and am taking the class this month. It's been a dream/goal of mine to always have a log home. Was wanting to know the minimum log size that should be used for building. Can't wait to finally take the class. I live in Oregon, so we still have lots of trees for building in our state. :)

dvb
01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
At least that is the minimum diameter for stability and insulation. Ours are about 15" average size. All will be revealed in the class. Learn all you can absorb and take lots of notes. Say Hello to Ellsworth and Steve for all of us alumni.

rocklock
01-11-2009, 06:51 AM
In Washington as well as Oregon, loggers talk about tops when they refer to size... So 12 inch average doesn't fly...
I finally learned that I needed to talk about TOPS, only tops when you talk to a logger. If you mention bottoms or average or anything else it will only confuse the person. It will also mark you as someone that doesn't have a clue. Possibility as someone whom can be taken advantage.
I bought 51 logs from a mill. They are 10 and 11's. They are all Doug Fir. They all have about one inch of taper for 10 feet or about 4 inches per 40 feet.
The mill has two piles of house logs... 10 and 11's in one and 12 and 13's in the other... I would suggest that a 13 inch log is almost twice as heavy as a 10 incher.
There is much more to this subject. It is taught in class as well as in the members forum.
Good luck

llgabie
01-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Davids,

We too will be building in Oregon. What part of Oregon are you going to build in? We will be about 100 miles east of Bend.

davids
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I live in Springfield. Hoping to find property out of town and away from the rat race.

llgabie
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
We're building in Wheeler County, population about 1400 (including 5 towns and rural residents). Definitely away from the rat race! Took the class in December 2007, and plan to start work this spring. If you build east of the Cascades, let me know and you can get some help.

davids
01-16-2009, 07:26 AM
We are just East of Eugene about 5 miles. I'm taking the class next weekend. So hopefully start looking for land in the next few months. I know where Wheeler County is, so maybe we could trade labor. I'd at least like to see how your build goes and help out if you need it.

JimV
01-21-2009, 04:30 AM
I live in Springfield. Hoping to find property out of town and away from the rat race.

I was born in Eugene and raised in Cottage Grove. Fled the rain and fog back in the early 80's for the warmer climate of Arizona. I still miss the fall season in Oregon and steelhead fly fishing on the North Umpqua.
the class is great. You'll learn alot.

Jim

loghousenut
01-21-2009, 05:22 AM
We are building here on the property we've lived on for 15 years. I have made a deal for logs that are east of Chiloquin and hope to fall them before spring.

davids
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Can't wait to go to the class this weekend. It's been a long time coming to get a chance to take it. Hope to get lots of info on acquiring logs here in Oregon. I grew up in Roseburg and the North Umpqua is hard to beat for fishing and hiking. Pretty country.Where we live now is only 30 minutes from the Mckenzie river too.

tanderson
01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm looking forward to it also. I'm leaving tomorrow from Sacramento Intl. to Sea Tac. Should be in Seattle by noon. Figured I'd get up there a little early and see the space needle and Pikes Market. I'll rent a little pavement pounder on Friday and head to Monroe to my Motel. Probably stop and smell a few roses along the way...