PDA

View Full Version : 6 1/4" Diameter Hole Thru 6" Hemlock Log

caucapon
12-05-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm in the process of installing a pellet stove in our log house located in Southwestern Virginia. The logs are six inches in depth and are about twelve inches high. To do this, I need to cut a six and a quarter inch round or square hole through the house's log front. This is required for installation of a Selkirk pellet stove wall thimble.

I've already successfully drilled three inch holes through these logs as part of other projects. The purchase of a self-feeding Dewalt three inch bit solved that problem easily. However, cutting a precise hole so large is a bit more intimidating.

Does anyone have a realistic suggestion as to how to do this correctly without a lot of pain?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Shark
12-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Do you have the option of going through the roof instead of a solid log wall?
Just an idea, not sure your options.

Kola
12-05-2008, 08:52 AM
divide the opening amongst 2 logs. 3 inches off one and 3 off the other.

drill a hole in one of the logs or go directly in between the two logs.

drill the hole just big enough (approx 3/4") to get a long sawzall blade into the log and cut out a square/circle.

If you are complying with "building gods" you may want to check and see the specifics for insulating your stovepiping through the logwall. If you are not bowing to The Man find someone reliable and knowledgable about stove installations and be safe. :)

This is one area not to be taken lightly.

Git er' done. (done right too). :)

kola

rocklock
12-06-2008, 07:41 AM
This is a no brainier for me...
If it must be a round hole, then the previous suggestion makes sense...except I would use a chain saw to hog out most of the wood...
If you can do a square hole, I would cut exactually the outline using a circular saw. Then I would whip out my 16 inch chain saw, make a plunge cut to the other side. Then cut the other side with the circular saw. There will be rough edges to smooth which I would use my sawzall with the 9 inch wood cutting blade or my very sharp 16 inch chain saw.
Hope his helps...

Loghomeguy
12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
I would go to a plumbing shop and get a 6-1/4 hole saw and a "hole hog" right angle drill to go with it. The hole saw will be only 2- 3" in depth so what you have to do is drill in a couple inches then use a hammer and chisel to remove the materials, then drill and repeat the process, you can drill the pilot hole clear through and work from both sides.

The other solution is to cut the log clear through, and fill in around the stove pipe with a non flammable UBC approved flange. Look for more of this solution detailed below in the "no brainer".

By the way, your question was and is a good one and I hope you were not offended or made to feel your question was a bad one by a comment implying it takes "no brains" to figure this stuff out /or that the answer to your question was a "no brainer" . We all go through a learning process in this business. It is a normal thing. The only bad question is one that is not asked.

Moreover if you do use a hole saw I would not recommend using a chain saw to remove material in this instance for three reasons:

1. If your chainsaw blade takes out material where the pilot hole should be for the hole saw, re-establishing the correct drilling center point can be difficult and dangerous. The low geared drill can twist and cause injury.

2. If your chainsaw bar plus chain is 3-1/2 to 4 " from top to bottom this gives you very little room for error as little as 1-1/8th of an inch on each side.

3. It would require a plunge-cut, one that if you are not a well trained professional can cause kickback of the chainsaw.

Best wishes in solving your problem.

Mikey , journeyman class of 1987