PDA

View Full Version : Building log homes on the hot and very humid gulf coast

MIKE7251
11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone my name is Michael Knowles. I was wondering if anyone can give me insight or information about building a log home on the gulf coast. The reason I am asking is because several people I have talked to have tried to persuade me that do to the climate and bugs we have on the alabama gulf coast that a log home isn't a very smart move! This was very disturbing to me since I started wanting a log home since I was 17. Any comments or info will be appreciated thanks.

JD
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Mike,
Just because you have high humidity and bugs, doesn't mean you can't have a log home. As long as you follow a few cardinal rules, such as minimum height of the lower logs from the ground, large roof overhangs, proper drainage and treating your logs with borate, you shouldn't have any more problems with rot or bugs than any other house that contains wood.
Think about it. I'm sure there are plenty of vinyl sided houses in your area. The vinyl may keep the rain off of the wood underneath but it can't keep out the humidity. In fact it could even trap it, if not installed properly.

Here's another advantage of logs over any kind of siding. If termites take up residence in a traditional house, they're hidden by the siding until they've done their damage. In a log home everything is out in the open so you can see the little critters as soon as they try to move in and you can get rid of them. More on termites: http://www.loghomebuilders.org/log-homes-and-termites

Any house is going to require attention and regular maintenance and a log house does not necessarily require more of either just because you live in high humidity. There is lots of good information on this site which may help you in your decision. Try searching for "termites" "humidity" "rot" etc.
Good luck and welcome to the forums.

JD

Loghomeguy
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Michael Simmons

Hi my name is Michael Simmons, I have been a member and a journeyman log home builder since 1987.

I also worked the Gulf Coast Post Katrina doing both contracting and volunteer work with www.handsonusa.org

Logs are basically just unsawn lumber and as we both know lumber was used in the siding of homes in Orleans Parish. In fact one of the homes I helped repair was 115 years old, the lumber came from barges that floated down the Mississippi before steam paddlewheelers could go UP the Mississippi and there was of course a GLUT of barge-logs in Orleans parish that they simply milled up for homes

Let's look at why some of the lumber lasted so long:

First and foremost it was out of the rain, this means that you have to have excessive roof overhang for logs.

Second, it was painted, bugs do not like to eat paint. Logs can be coated with the right substance that lets them look natural and keeps the critters away.

Third, it was well off the ground. In Orleans and Jefferson Parishes the homes were typically four feet off the ground. Termite shields were installed on the tops of the piers so the little varmints could not attack.

Fourth, wood species were used that were more rot and bug resistant. Swamp Cypress is a good example , although it has too much taper for my liking for log home construction.

The necessity for bug and water damage protection in the deep South is exponential as opposed to here in the north.

The climate is warmer so bacterial decomposition takes place faster.

There is less if any freezing to send the bugs away for any time.

Extra precautions for warm wet climates are taught in the class and will be specifically addressed on request.

You have come to the right place and the only bad question is one that is not asked !

best wishes and by the way, I never worked for anyone in the South who did not have me in for a hot meal at their dining room table. Here's to Alabama. Audemus jura nostra defendere.

Mikey, class of 1987