PDA

View Full Version : Plans/Images of Butt and Pass Horse Barn?

LeighG
10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Right after I build a house, I need to build a horse barn for my wife's planned horses. I'm optomistic that showing her what I hope to build will get her enthused about taking the next scheduled LHBA class with me.

First though, I need a plan or some pictures of a B&P barn so that she can see what I have in mind.

I've been searching and googling, but so far all the log barns I've seen on-line are half-tumbled-down skeletons of log barns, or they're hand-hewn or some other flavor other than B&P. Anybody have good pics, a blog post or something to point me to?

Thanks!

LeighG

adubar
10-15-2008, 05:59 AM
LeighG,

I believe that a few members have build log outbuildings over the years. Perhaps another member knows of some links.

Historically, most homesteaders would not have considered putting as much effort or money into a barn as they would the main house (a good majority were built using everything from mill cast offs, to reclaimed lumber and downed timber). They also would have seen the problem with using stacked logs in a direct earth contact situation (very few of these have stood the test of time), so the only alternatives to improve the structure would be to build a log barn using a pier system with suspended floors or some sort of continuous foundation, both of which added to the cost, time and complexity of building what for all intents and purposes was supposed to be a utilitarian, low cost outbuilding?and one that could easily be replaced in the case of wind/fire damage or other calamity. So, pole/timber framing and stick frame tended to win out over time?especially as ready milled lumber became common place. (Today, slab is often used, but then there are problems with insect and water damage to contend with for the logs directly contacting the slab) ?

I would venture to guess that many B & P plans could be modified to be used as a barn. Your major challenge will be to decide what kind of first floor you want for the barn. That will dictate what you use as a foundation system.

From what I've seen of the log building industry in general, most horse "barns" built today using logs (often scribed homes) are less "barns," and more akin to "formal, grand stables." Many use some sort of slab with a raised legde for the first course of logs--often with conrete breezeways. Most would cost far more to build than our own homes! Far from the ideal that our foreparents may have envisioned as they pulled the last stump from their rocky acreage, while hoping and praying that they could till and plant in time to meet the season.

-Andrew

spiralsands
10-15-2008, 08:07 AM
I found a photo in a book about barns and sheds of a log barn or stable that was partially butt and pass. It was a sort of mixed construction, I think. I'll see if I can scan it in to the computer when I get home.

I too will be building a stable.

Frances

LeighG
10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I was kind of thinking I would need to make a perimeter concrete foundation for the barn and put the log walls on that.

If I get into the next class, guess I will need to make a model and see what folks think. (Scratching my head - wondering if the county I'm thinking of moving to will make me get it engineered. Sigh. I hate having to deal with building departments.)

Leigh