PDA

View Full Version : Logs sitting idle

Rowjr
09-30-2008, 08:26 AM
About how long I can leave my logs sitting, stack and once I start raising them how long should I get them all up or what can I get away with...
Probably varies with log type but if your time does not allow you to get it all done in one year can you raise logs at a slow rate and not worry about your logs ?

Basil
09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
where do you live and how are they stored?

Timber
09-30-2008, 02:15 PM
You should treat them after debarking and rotate them /keep them out of the sun - yet not a tarp on top to trap moister-Try to at least get them on foundation then get your roof on then take your time. Take the class.

Kola
09-30-2008, 06:10 PM
what type of loghome are you planning to build?

Kola

Rowjr
10-02-2008, 03:14 AM
West Virginia

coastal1
10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
If you can wait and take the class it will be well worth it. It will likely keep you from making any mistakes in the preparation or construction of your new home. Spend your time researching this site and members websites until a new class is available.

Basil
10-02-2008, 09:52 AM
treat them with borate, keep them off the ground, support them well and turn them regularly. Hope for the best. It's not the greatest way to go, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Rowjr
10-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Was going about 24 x 36 maybe 26 x 38 and I like the forums idea how to stack them and I'm learning more and more as I read about why...I have always wanted to be really rustic, but capable of doing all the work myself or help from friends and family. As I see in most designs on this forum it seems to stay more square and up ... I like rectangluar and not so high, but maybe I'll change as I read and learn more but as of right now I like rectangular as a home shape and also a very large fireplace....

Basil
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Most everything on this forum is related, in some way, to self-sufficiency. Build yourself, grow yourself, get out of debt, dump the job, etc. Because of this, thrift and economy are high on the list of factors in building the association way. Square buildings have more square feet of living space for the amount of work than any other shape. Square is also easier to floor, roof, square, and so forth. Experiment with it, do the math, and see for yourself. That is the reason so many of our structures are square.

I built square, then added a "bump out" on the back that was rectangular. It was really like building two different houses, only harder because I had to get my roof lines to work together. You can do anything you want with this style building, it's just that most are smarter than I was and keep it simple. I'm proud of my home but sad that I spent the extra time and money to do it a harder way than necessary.

The reason some of the houses are so tall is that you can add an extra floor without having to make a larger roof, or do a larger foundation. You just have more logs to stack (and stacking logs is not the hard part), more chinking, and an extra floor to build. So long as your foundation and soil can hold the weight, and you don't get too high (I wouldn't go past three floors) floor space gets cheaper with each level.

Basil
10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I forgot to mention, and this is the most important thing about storing logs,

PEEL THEM!!!!!!! Get the bark off them or they will be worthless before you can use them.