PDA

View Full Version : New Here!...and I have a dream!

Dornz87
09-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Hello All,

What a great and interesting site! My name is Eric and I've had dream of owning a log home now for a good number of years. Glad I found this place!

Here's my situation: I'm currently 33 years old, I have a wife and a 6 month old baby girl. Right now, I'm in the research phase of my plan to own a log home. What I'm looking to do is purchase a lake-front piece of land, and have the home build on it.

I feel like I'm in a pretty unique position so I'm looking for anyone's advice on what to do/how to proceed. Ultimately, I'd like to be in the "building phase" in anywhere from 8 - 12 years from now. Financially, building another home is just not an option right now...but I hope to change that within that 8 - 12 year time frame...that's why I think I'm in a unique situation here.

My wife and I are both in education, so we don't neccessarily make a ton of money...but we do pretty well! And, we have PLENTY of time off!

Here's where I need some advice....what should I be doing right now ...from a financial, research etc standpoint....in order to best accomplish my goal? I have been looking into log home construction a bit, but just from internet resources and magazines. I haven't actually talked to a builder or anything.

One thing I think I have as a major advantage is time. This doesn't have to be done next year, but the sooner the better!...

Any advice or recommendations would be great!
Thanks,
Eric

dvb
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
After you talk to the kit builders and get frightened away by the cost involved, or the fact a lot of them use machined dowels instead of logs, or that maybe your time could be better spent on something else. Remember this site. Take the class as soon as you can. It will teach you ways to look at things that will be right down your alley. Time is money and you sound like you have time and like the rest of us, not much money. Why not build your entire home for less than the typical log kit will cost?
If you like the look of machined logs, I recommend you use log siding. It costs a lot less and you can use a frame building. We will all support your efforts to use this system and wish you good luck if you decide on something else.

Shark
09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I agree with what dvb said above.

On top of that, if you have that much time until you hope to be ready to build, the best thing i can tell you is follow Dave Ramsey's advice if you ever listen to him on the radio. Get debt free as quick as you can (credit cards, car payments etc), then get on a strict budget & stick to it.
By the time you are ready to build you should be debt free, have a large nest egg to build with, & be living free after you get your house built.

StressMan79
09-15-2008, 05:49 PM
...might be difficult. I came from NW iowa, where you could buy a double lot in a po dunk town for 1-2k, but if you wanted to build on lake okoboji, you'd pay 1000-5000 times that amount (yes 100k to 1M). I don't know where you are, but if you want to build debt free, a lake may not be your best choice. I gave up living close to seattle (2 hrs) with average 1 acre lots going for 200k, and moved to a beautiful, remote area and picked up 20 AC and a well for < 40k.

That being said, when I began this endeavor, I was leaning towards an alaska cabin--on a lake. There are lots of lakes up there with float plane access. I found one 5 acre lot for 10k. Now think about logistics--I have to get up there many times, how many float plane rides with materials will be required to make my cabin? It seemed out of reach. My wife told me I could do it, but had to stay in the state. I did, just barely.

I guess what I'm saying is that you might want to rethink the "on a lake" thing.

-Peter

pinecone pam
09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Well I guess you found the right spot! All the info you want is right here. If, you intend to build your own house. The advantage of time is good. First you need to get to one of the upcoming classes. Without the class, its hard to know where to begin. Property is a must, but again, take the class first so as not to make a costly mistake. Ex. What if you wind up on a grade? Lake front or not it makes the whole process a lot harder and more costly. Ellsworths teaches the most cost effective method. So get to class, listen carefully, and then weigh your options. We'll be here to help any way we can!

ChainsawGrandpa
09-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I understand your dream of lake front property. I spent a lot of time growing-up
in a lake front B&P (Butt & Pass) cabin. Couldn't imagine a cabin w/o a lake! But
I started to notice that lakes came with a lot of people, small lots, and no privacy.
I now have acreage in a forest. I would never consider trading my privacy in the
forest for busy lake frontage. An added bonus is that I can have 80-250 acres of
forest for the same price as 80' of lake frontage.

Not trying to derail your dream...just saying keep your eyes open for other possibilities.
I have enough slope, and enough water that I can build some small (and short) streams
with small waterfalls. I'll need to install a separate pump, but hey, I can still have water,
with no mosquitos and no jet skis at 6:00 AM.

Before taking the class, people ask if the class is worth the money...should I really take the
class...what if I can't do it....

After taking the class, people get excited and wonder why they didn't do it sooner. The class
will give feet to your dreams, and make it practical at the same time. Take a look at some of
the student homes that you can access hrough this forum. They can range from a small, simple
dry and warm dwelling for several thousand dollars to the Log Mahal.

-Rick

hemlock77
09-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Your story is like dejavu for me. Like the others have said. The class will deffinatly be worth it, even if you don't build yourself. Your plan is ideal, the more time you have to prepair the lower your build cost will be. I looked at quite a few lake lots before we decided on this one. We are not right on the lake, 550 ft up the road from lake. I have a perfect veiw of the lake during the winter months. I could take a few trees down for year round view, but I lke the trees too much to do that. Just a two min walk and I can go swimming fishing whatever.
Stu
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/

Kola
09-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Welcome Eric.

Three big words:
Take the class! :)

When I first visited the site I had eigthteen million questions. Everyone was helpful but they all kept saying "Take the Class!"

I thought it was some type of crazy sales pitch and wondered why all these people were so gung-ho.

Well, I read many of the posts and finally decided to take the class and boy was I pleasantly surprised. It was everything and more I ever could have dreamed for.

Some strange and insecure folks call us LHBA members a "cult" or they try to label us as some type of "religion". Phooey I say!

I like to look at LHBA membership as a "team.".... the greatest team ever. We had the greatest coach, founder and a true freedom-father named Skip Ellsworth. Skip hired on 2 great assistant coaches in Ellsworth and Steve. The rest of us are team players and although we may have our differences (religion, politics, vaccines, etc) we all have a common goal. That goal surrounds many facets which include building a B&P loghome from the ground up, becoming debt free, dealing with bureaucratic bs and tackling any problems that you could imagine that might come our way. Our team consists of one terrific professional engineer, several structural engineers, many construction contractors, bankers, legal beagles, etc etc. They all contribute and help others throughout the building process The LHBA Members Forum is a lifetime deal and in there we share information that covers every angle to successfully build a dream loghome. We also generate longlasting friendships and share personal experiences. LHBA is a family and a tremendous team of great players who love and respect its coaches. This is not a religion nor some goofy cult. It's just one hellava great gameplan to build your own loghome and have some fun doing it..not to mention meet some really great folks.

For many of us, taking the class became a life changing experience. I am sure many members will agree with me.

peace, courage and freedom,
Kola

ChainsawGrandpa
09-16-2008, 06:35 AM
"Here's where I need some advice....what should I be doing right now ...from a financial, research etc
standpoint....in order to best accomplish my goal? I have been looking into log home construction a bit,
but just from internet resources and magazines. I haven't actually talked to a builder or anything."

Well, after I ran-off at the keyboard it dawned on me that I missed your questions.

*Right now, get your life in order. Small inconveniences now will become mountains later. An example is
that I ran out of storage space. I had some logs stored at a friends place. He had some time so his crew
milled my logs for me. So, instead of free logs, a few hundreds dollars as a thanks for storing my logs,
and some gas for my mill in the Spring (no, you don't need to buy a mill, I just found mine at a rediculous
price), I paid for milling, and had to store my lumber in our carport over the Winter. Very expensive and
inconvenient. Don't fill your day planner...keep holes in your schedule. Things come up during the day and
a busy schedule can add a lot of stress when unforseen circumstances happen. Just keep your life simple,
and plan ahead.

* Get out of debt and have cash set aside. Life has less stress if you're faced with an emergency and the
cash is already there. Also, being out of debt will give you options in life by making you financially light on
your feet, and yes, Dave Ramsey is excellent. You can even get a one hour class for free on Youtube. The
Larry Burkett video series, and the Charles Givens video series are also excellent, but Dave Ramsey has a
website and videos on Youtube, so it is convenient and most of what you would need is free.

*Collect tools. Which tools? You won't need many, but the list is...well...in the class.

*Research what you want in a log home. This is fast and easy. Just read the forums, and look at members
log homes. It will give you a wealth of information, and set your dreams in a good direction.

*Take the class, and take it together. My wife thought it might be a good thing for me. Since she wasn't
there at the class she had her own direction for us to go, and we then had two schedules:
Mine was sell the house, and rent while we built.
My wife's schedule was "remodel this house first (WRONG!) then build a log home, then we can sell this one
and move into our log home." The remodeling is almost finished. It's been a long road.

Don't worry about making arrangements for the kids, grandparents love having them for a few days, and we
have had some young ones in the class. Jerry Sargeant was 16, A.J. Beck was 17, and Chip Ellsworth was old
enough to use his coloring book.

Well, that's all I can think of, but ask questions. We're all eager to see you get your dreams accomplished.

-Rick

Dornz87
09-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Wow...thanks for all the suggestions and support!

I need to clarify a little here....
1. I am looking to build a log home, but not myself! It's just not an undertaking that I'm willing to do....so essentially, I'll be looking for a log home builder.
2. The lakefront property is a must. One of my first orders of business, once my finances allow it, will be to purchase the lot. Currently, I'm seeing lots for anywhere from 80k to around 200k....and I'm willing to pay for the ideal location.
3. I'm not looking for the absolute cheapest way to build...although cutting costs will be something that I'm looking into. I'm prepared to hire people, and pay for it. All said and done, I'm probably looking at something in the 300k to 500k dollar range for my dream home. I almost feel like maybe I'm not in the right place here because it seems everyone is building their own places on a low budget....which is very cool btw!

Thanks again for all the responses!
Eric

chadfortman
09-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry!
Keep Rocking With Dokken!

Eric Kits are very attractive home but are made like garbage.
Kits will put a hole in your wallet for life.
You could build you own place the way you want for a fraction of what the kits cost.
Would you do it if you can build a great home for less.
There been a few of the homes built by are members used in tv shows and movies.
Do a web search on log home building clubs i dont think you will find to many around.
Now do a search on log home kits you find so many you cant keep track of.
It becuse they make so much money off you for a product that less then good.
I was one those guys who was going to buy the milled logs and build a so called log cabin.
After looking at the junk those kits put out as log homes i stay way clear of them.
Kits a dowl pins so perfect and pretty. After doing this to the log it gives away rvalue and to many other things to list.
You can buy some 6 by 6 and take a router to it. Does that make it a log.
Take a look at the 3 inch holes they cut about the doors and window of the kits home. That look so cheep and so bad.
Butt and Pass you dont have do that since it is a real log home.
Eric you came across a good web site to learn about real log homes.
It will be your chose to learn ore be taking advantage of by a kit comany.
Everone one in this club comes from all walks of life and that makes it interesting also.
Eric good luck on your adventures.

StressMan79
09-16-2008, 08:26 AM
this is primarily a DIY site. I don't know how you will come across 1/2M to build your dream house on an educator's salary, but that is none of my business. We have some professional builders among us, notably loghome guy. I don't remember if you said where you were, but there are members all over the country. Some may help you out for a reasonable wage.

as far as the class goes, if you are planning on spending 500k on your home, then 1300 (or whatever it is now) for you and your wife to attend the class is not a lot in comparison (.3%). You will be able to save that much even not building the home yourself. And of course, there is the money back guarantee, so worst case, you and your wife will have a vacation to the beautiful PNW.

good luck whatever you decide!

-Peter

spiralsands
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
If I had that kind of money to build a log home, I would first take this class and then act as my own contractor. I would subcontract each stage of each job and have it all built RIGHT with the right stuff. No screw jacks, no "log look" facades, no stick house interior with fiberglass fill covered with quarter logs. No Bullsh*t.

I've been to the home shows. I've been to the architects. I was disgusted with all of it so I came back here, registered as a member, took the class last January and now I know what kind of log house I am aiming for. I'm collecting supplies and drawing plans until I am liberated to go to my land. My sister owns a crap sh*t kit log home that's rotting right under her nose. It's a D-log disaster that I'm so embarrassed to look when she asks me for help with the bugs and rot.

If you have the money, don't be so anxious to part with it. Alot of so-called log home builders are just regular construction guys who have found that there is big bucks in raising those mail order kit homes. They don't really know LOG homes.

Frances

chadfortman
09-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry!

I think you need get your sister to build a home like You and i are going to build.
Sounds like the place need a match to me.
Dont you feel sorry for her buying a place like that.
I think i help her build a real home and knock that one down.
I try get my brother to buy his own land and build and stop paying a fee to live in a tin can.
$400 a month lot fees dam that pays my Bike and truck payment .
Are club should attend and put a table up in the Log home events.
To get and stop people from making a mistake.

spiralsands
09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
That's very sweet of you Chad to think that some people, even some women, would welcome help and change. However, families can be very political and if i spoke out of bounds to Sister, Sister would attempt to sabotage me right in front of other people. My sister is very proud of her mess of a house. Everyone thinks it's "quaint"despite the fact that it is obviously rotting. So she comes to me for advice because her multiple boyfriends in the construction businesses don't know what to do to help her. It's better for me to shut up and let her house go to whatever condition she allows it. I can't teach her. She is very very shallow and acts helpless. I won't tolerate the emotional attack. You gotta understand that this woman will never listen to another woman's advice, even though she says she values family and she wants family involevement in her life. My sister always listens to the loser men in her life despite the advice her family gives her.

She may be desparate to save her stick shack but she is not going to give anyone but "Boyfriend" credit.

Frances

chadfortman
09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry!

its kinda funny she will not listen to you.
But comes to for advice on how to save the rotting mess.
i think my be she just to proud to admit she made a huge mistake buying it.
My be she will turn around when you built your place.
Why would your sister want cut you down.
Mine came out to my little out building and thought it was cute.
i got some so called friends like your sister. there just there tear you down.
It be like this comedy skit i heard the guys family said your not going to make it your gone fall on your face.
Then when the guy made it. The aunt said i knew your were gone do it i was behind you all the way.
Wath it might happen to you also
i think i stay clear of her theres enought nagative people on this earth.

Timber
09-16-2008, 05:36 PM
You have stumbled into the right place and the place you want to build sounds nice. There are builders here @ the LHBA who could build you a home / for one the loghomeguy and others also! Just because a lot of us are building cheaply or plan to does not mean were building A less quality HOME. Some to be sure are thrifty and have learned in life once money is spent--its gone. My older brother is wealthy and he says he likes to make Lincoln scream before he lets it go--that would be a penny. He got wealthy the old fashioned way--he earned it. Most people today don't understand the value of a dollar--that is why they waste so much. If you like throwing money away perhaps we are the wrong crowd. Look at the economy--think it does not affect everyone? It can/it has before / history repeats itself. People who lived in the great depression learned not to waste-even after that depression was over. Anyway whatever you decide its your choice-some here including myself want to get the satisfaction of doing it themselves. Perhaps we can teach the teachers

ChainsawGrandpa
09-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with Chadfortman. Those kits are just terrible.
The neighbors next to my parents built a beautiful "log" (kit) home.

It's gorgeous, but it's leaking water, air, bugs, mice, squirrels... they
are pulling their hair out. Of course the kit manufacturer, and contractor
are no help. Cold air and rain are rushing in around the chimney. Mean-
while the B&P log home next to it (parents old place) has mostly been
trouble free. It's about sixty years old, but amazingly my grandparents
did most everything right, and very close to what Skip taught us to do.
Since my grandpa and his friend Ed didn't know the first thing about
building a log home, they just used simple techniques. Looking at the
degrade since new I would say the cabin has another few hundred
years left in it. Lifespan is another benefit to the way we build.

-Rick

bkleber
09-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Dornz87,

As everyone else said, clearly you want to have no debt, and some surplus cash, before you start on the log home project. Your idea for the land/location sounds fantastic, my parents are in the process of buying a similar place on a lakefront in NovaScotia.

Also to repeat others before me: Take the class the next time you get a chance. I saw that you said you weren't particularly thinking of doing this yourself, but if you're planning to do ANYTHING having to do with logs or a log home, youw ant to take this class so that you are as educated and informed as possible. The magazines and most of the internet resources you'll read about log homes on make their money to stay afloat by selling advertising space to the log home kit manufacturers, so you're not going to see negative stories or complaints of an unbiased flavor. After all, each builder or manufacturer says that their method is the best, and that all the others have it wrong... that's no way to decide what kind of construction method you want, and it's certainly no way to learn about the pros and cons of each choice that each manufacturer makes. Having taken the class, you'll be able to look at any kind of kit home and instantly see what will work long-term and what won't.

You mention that you're interested in a log home from $300k-$500k... Having just planned a project where the financial end fell through (someone else's end, not mine!) I can tell you that with the luxury of time that you've got, it's *easy* to make a half-million-dollar home for under $100k in materials using the LHBA Butt&Pass method. ("Easy" meaning "not complicated", not "Sweat-free"). And if you are really determined to hire someone else to build your home for you, chances are really good that you could find a number of LHBA members that would gladly build your home for you, if you were to pay them a work fee. (I, for one, would pounce on that opportunity, since I am in the process of trying to make and sell my first home for profit, with the hopes of eventually quitting my day job and making homes for a living.)

Where in the country are you?