PDA

View Full Version : poplar

preacher jay
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Has anybody used poplar for logs?

Or Is poplar a usable log?

JD
08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
One that I know of did. I think Basil built with poplar.
JD

rckclmbr428
08-19-2008, 05:46 PM
people use poplar logs, Basil in Kentucky has just built out of them, and I was very close to useing them, but everyone I talked with, loggers, forestors, mills, all said they check severly, and need lots of tender loving seasoning to keep them from checking to bad, but it is a useable tree

preacher jay
08-25-2008, 06:20 AM
does anybody have contact info for basil
God, family, other things

Basil
08-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Poplar checks a lot, yes. Most checks aren't too bad, the few that are can be chinked. I've got about 6 bad checks in an 80 log house, but every log has checks of some size. I have looked in lots of log home magazines and it seems like checks are part of log home living. Mine don't bother me. HOWEVER, and I've said this on every thread about poplar since the old forums, YOU MUST PROTECT POPLAR unless you are using old growth heartwood, and you probably wont be. I solved this problem by building a 10' wide (minimum) wrap-around porch. Otherwise, the checks can catch water and you'll have nothing but trouble. I never thought that the standard overhang rules would apply to poplar so I assumed all along that I'd need this porch. That was part of the huge advantage to having a father that taught forestry at University of Kentucky- I knew these things going in. Too much research is still never enough!

preacher jay
08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
thanks for the info

jbeall
08-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi,

One of the recurring themes I here with the poplar logs is that you need a wraparound porch that goes all the way around the house, in order to protect the log walls.

Anybody got a picture of how this would work with a two story house? I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work to properly protect the log walls and yet still be a part of your porch (as opposed to just having enormous roof overhangs.

-Josh

bmurphy96
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I am going to be going the same route (wrap-around) and I am having trouble also with the two-story concept. I would be very interested in seeing that.

Keith

mlr1968
08-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Attended Class March 25th/26th of 2006.
If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!
Here is a link to Basil's house with a wrap around porch and his poplar logs. http://www.loghomebuilders.org/stacked-logs-last-week?page=2

dgc
08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Grr!!! I'm registered for the class in Vegas, but still can't get into the member's area yet. Posting members-only pics in the public forum area is just evil!
;)

DGC

Gascozark
08-20-2009, 06:23 PM
I'd love to look at Basil's house but:

Access denied
You are not authorized to access this page

is all I get. Are there pictures online somewhere that us newbies can access. I was planning on going the wraparound porch route as well and would love to see some examples of LHBA / wrapparound porch homes.

Thanks!

NM bound
08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
I kow - the waiting is terrible! But - it's almost Sept!
Besides you will understand a lot more / easier what you will read in the member's side - after you are 'educated'!
It will all be worth it! Enjoy the class & LV!!

jbeall
08-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Basil's house appears to be a one-story house, with a finished attic. The log walls are only one story tall, and then the attic extends into the second story.

I want to build a two story house, with an attic, and I may finish out the attic someday.

If you look at this picture, it's hard for me to imagine how this would work with a two story house.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/0211baz/DSC00412.jpg

For comparison, this is what I'm hoping to build:
<a href='/image/tid/3'>http://loghomebuilders.org/files/images/log-homes-lucky-dog-lodge-1.preview.jpg</a>

Could somebody help me out? How would this work with two stories? Or is the rule that if you're building with Poplar, you can't build two stories?

panderson03
08-21-2009, 05:35 AM
there is a very logical reason for that though dgc. If folks who were registered for class but had not yet attended gained access to the members forum THEY WOULDN'T BOTHER taking the time to READ the public forums AND THERE'S A LOT OF GREAT STUFF IN THERE!

reading the public forums can help you formulate great questions for class.

and the member's forums are WORTH WAITING FOR!
hang in there. class will be here before you know it.

dgc
08-21-2009, 05:45 AM
No worries, all. I'm quite patient. I was only ribbing MLR1968 for posting a members-only link in the public (non-members) area and teasing us.

I'm looking forward to the class. I don't have time to be impatient - I'm too busy with work!

DGC

Timber
08-21-2009, 06:20 AM
basil's home is a 2 story the other is 3. The higher you go the slower and harder it becomes-at least slower.

to?my eyes basils home is much nicer looking--i guess its the weathered look??i like plus the wrap around porch

loghousenut
08-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Basil's house appears to be a one-story house, with a finished attic. The log walls are only one story tall, and then the attic extends into the second story.

I want to build a two story house, with an attic, and I may finish out the attic someday.

If you look at this picture, it's hard for me to imagine how this would work with a two story house.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/0211baz/DSC00412.jpg

For comparison, this is what I'm hoping to build:
<a href='/image/tid/3'>http://loghomebuilders.org/files/images/log-homes-lucky-dog-lodge-1.preview.jpg</a>

Could somebody help me out? How would this work with two stories? Or is the rule that if you're building with Poplar, you can't build two stories?

loghousenut writes...
I'm more of a fan of 13' tall walls but if you really want a full 2nd story and 3rd story loft I think this'd work just fine. I personnally like the idea of using "junk" logs and Poplar wouldn't scare me off. I am building with Ponderosa Pine logs that most people wouldn't bother cutting for firewood and I have a feeling that our house will look fairly cool and last long enough to give the grandkids something to sell. Don't be overwhelmed by the experiences of some of our lucky Washingtonian brothers. Even if your 3 acre parcel is NOT covered with Doug Fir logs that look like drill pipe and will give two wall logs and a rafter pole out of each one, you'll still build a house if your wife pushes you hard enough.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/_original.jpg

panderson03
08-21-2009, 07:50 AM
I'd like to meet your wife some day. she sounds awesome!

mlr1968
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Attended Class March 25th/26th of 2006.
If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!
Sorry bout my link had a brain fart!

Basil
08-24-2009, 11:12 AM
my house has 14 foot log walls, with a full second floor made possible by the steep 12/12 roof. My ridgepole is 25 feet off the floor, and i have a roomy attic to boot. I don't like the look of tall log homes, so i intentionally made it look this way. the porch roofs cover almost all the logs from the driveway, making the house look very short. If i had it to do over again, i would have built my walls 2 logs higher, for a total of 14 rounds instead of 12, so that the ceilings in the childrens rooms would not have a slope at the ends.