PDA

View Full Version : 35yr old kit log home

smcleod
08-13-2008, 05:14 AM
I am looking to purchase a 35 yr old timberframe kit log home. It is in good shape with no external wood rot but had mildew. We will have it cornblasted in the next 2 yrs. It only has a 12" roof extensions. I am going to extend these to 30". The logs look flat on the inside of the home and rounded on the outside. They are uniform so I assume they are milled. Can you comment on this? I read alot of bad press on kit homes. This one has been standing for 35 yrs and has a little bit of shrinkage and noticeable caulking in a few cracks and other things expected for a 35 yr old log home. Can you comment on other things I need to consider. The home inspector said it is in good shape.

Klapton
08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
If it's in good shape, it was probably well cared for throughout those 35 years.

If you are going to the trouble and expense to make the roof overhangs longer, I'd say go a LOT longer. Ideally, you would want about 3 feet (horizontal, not diagonal) on the sides, and as much as 6 feet or more of overhang on the gable ends (if it has gable ends). Basically, you want to keep all but the most severe sideways rain from ever getting on the wood. This is the BEST protection against rot you can have.

One of the downsides you will hear about milled logs around here is maintenance. Once you cut into the grain of the log, you expose the grain to moisture. So while a hand-peeled butt and pass home, like the ones they teach to build here, can do just fine without any kind of stain or sealer, that is not so with milled logs. You will have to stain / seal the logs every few years. That is how this home has stayed in such good shape for 35 years.

As for how to best clean the logs up, cobbin is an option. Some folks use a bleach solution, then rinse thoroughly. Then use Oxalic Acid solution, which brightens the logs up wonderfully. Rinse that off thoroughly. Then stain / seal according to whatever instructions come with your stain.

Yuhjn
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
My suggestion is to take a bunch of pictures, upload them to photobucket, and post a link for us.

It's hard to talk about a house we've never seen before. I suspect Klapton is right and that if it's in good shape it's due to someone taking very good care of it for 35 years. But without pictures it's really hard to tell, all we know is what you tell us.

So if you post some pictures we can probably help you evaluate the condition of the home much better.

smcleod
08-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Ok guys here you go. Here is the URL with basic pictures. The house is not as dark as these pictures appear. We are going to remove the small second floor front hanging deck and the deck to the right of the house under the window to help protect the logs from future water splashing and have the roof extended to 30". We are aware this is a timber frame "kit" built home and does not compare to the butt and pass built types. It is just a weekend place for us in an area we enjoy. Hopefully someday we can build a custom log home. Sorry these are the only pictures we have at this time.

http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w350/mmcleod22/

smcleod
08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok guys here you go. Here is the URL with basic pictures. The house is not as dark as these pictures appear. We are going to remove the small second floor front hanging deck and the deck to the right of the house under the window to help protect the logs from future water splashing and have the roof extended to 30". We are aware this is a timber frame "kit" built home and does not compare to the butt and pass built types. It is just a weekend place for us in an area we enjoy. Hopefully someday we can build a custom log home. Sorry these are the only pictures we have at this time.

http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w350/mmcleod22/

Basil
08-15-2008, 04:04 AM
You are right in wanting to extend those overhangs-those are extremely small! After seeing the pictures, I'm not so sure this is a DIY project. To get this done right you may have to cut into those gable end logs for additional support. You aren't going to get enough distance with a simple false rafter system. I'm impressed with how well those exposed logs have held up though. It doesn't look like they've ever been rained on!

If you can, you may want to go greater than 30". How often does this wall actually get rained on, I wonder? Does it face the prevailing wind?

GENE13
08-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Here is another option, IMPEL Rods or Cobra Rods. http://www.aloghomestore.com/borates.shtml#impel-rods
Using these rods may be the best way to go for right now. Extending that roof will be costly and getting the roof color to match up could be a bear, you may end up with a two tone looking roof. Also, to get the extension you need the windows may come into play, in that the roof may become part of your view unless you change the angle of the extension so they're not so steep. I can't really tell but it looks like you used shingles, I don't know how old they are, however, if you're determined to extend your overhang, it may be better to wait until it?s time to replace your current roof, IMO.

Anyway, it's another option.....................> :-)

smcleod
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
I like the idea of Cobra rods and then extending the roof when the time comes to replace it (tin roof maybe). The previous owners replaced the roof about 5 yrs ago. It is shingles and I have heard a few times it will be tough to match. We were contemplating a covered porch over the window area where the roof will be a challenge to extend. I went and read about installing Cobra rods. Should I treat each and every log since the roof is only 14 inches. The roof overhangs look nonexistant in the pics but I took my magnifying glass out and YES they do exist:) What do I plug the drill holes with if I don't want to use the plastic caps?

GENE13
08-16-2008, 05:15 AM
You could use wooden dowels, wood puddy,etc. The purpose of the plastic caps is to have easy access to the holes for replacement rods in the future............................> :-)