PDA

View Full Version : I found land

ivanshayka
08-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey you guys, I have news. A few days ago I made an offer on a chunk of land (5 acers). Originaly it was $20,000, and I offered 17,500. I hope this will go through.
The land has most of it covered in red pine, ranging 12" to 16". I know it might not be thick and as beautiful as some of the log homes on this web site, but I am ready for it.
I will be finnishing nursing school in January 2010 and hopefully take the class the Summer of 2010. and start building in 2012 or in 2013.

PS. I read a lot of discussion on LHOTI.com, there is nothing but negativity toward LHBA, don't mind them.
God Bless You All. Ivan.

rreidnauer
08-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Any word on the land yet?

ivanshayka
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
They settled for $17,500. But, I had to pay $252 for the perk (perc?) testing, and before i build on it I would have to have it survayed, probebly another $2000(I don't mind that). To me, the trees are woth more than a cost of survey.

Anyways, I did go out to the property and measured how thick are the trees, and come to find out they are 10 to 14 inches in diameter, not 14 to 16in as i previously thought, Is that still thick enough for the log home in Michigan? Anyone?

God Bless You All, Ivan.

spiralsands
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
They settled for $17,500. But, I had to pay $252 for the perk (perc?) testing, and before i build on it I would have to have it survayed, probebly another $2000(I don't mind that). To me, the trees are woth more than a cost of survey.

You purchased without a survey in hand????

ivanshayka
08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
The similar parsels around the same area cost about $ 25,000 to $35,000. There are buildings both sides of the property, and my brother lives just less than 1/2 a mile away. and the area is flat in that region. So, I figured that the land is in good shape and good price. But don't worry, I know it is going to be OK.

God Bless You All, Ivan.

spiralsands
08-23-2008, 03:22 AM
How do you know that you are buying 5 acres if the seller did not provide a survey? The land may be wonderful but knowing where your boundaries are and that the square acreage is what they say it is is pretty important stuff to know before you commit to a sale, no?

Just curious, I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything. But in every real estate transaction I've ever been involved in, it's the SELLER who provides the survey. This is convention. I'm just telling you this for your own protection.

Frances

Tom Featherstone
08-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Sorry to disagree with you Spiralsands, but all that is needed in a Real Estate transaction is a legal description of the property, a survey may or may not be included in the deal. How do I know? I'm a former Real Estate Agent in the State of Michigan.

Ivan, 12" to 14" diameter may be fine depending upon where you are building in MI. On average, you'll get 1.3 R value per inch of log. I live in the UP and want a minimum of 12" at the small end.

Good Luck! Take the class.

Tom

Upers
08-23-2008, 06:18 AM
I kinda agree with Tom - go firure one Yooper agreeing with another...
I bought some land in the UP 2 years ago and I got a survey as I was trying to entice the
person to selll the lot, but I did not see a lot of value if any in gettting it.

Yoopers Pat

spiralsands
08-23-2008, 07:58 AM
If you don't care if you have one then I guess it doesn't matter. Maybe your state doesn't require it. But I would want one so I know that my land is what I thought it would be and there are no intrusions on it from neighboring properties and to make sure that an advertised 5 acres is actually 5 acres. There's alot of information on a survey. For instance, if I wanted to build a fence to keep out the poachers, how many fence posts would I need? I look at the survey. Not only does it have that exact measurment in feet but it also tells you where you can put it.

To each his own, I suppose. I would want one for my own protection. I dislike dealing with lawyers and bad neighbors.

ivanshayka
08-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Thank you all for your input, Spiralsands, I also appreciate your point of view and your care. I mean it. Everything is still in process, I still can get out of the transaction. I don't think I am going to, because I love the land and the price i am paying for it. I know I have to be carefull, and I am trying to be. Like guys mentioned above, it is not a law to get the survey and this township don't have a lot of restrictions.

God Bless you.

ivanshayka
08-23-2008, 06:28 PM
I live in Traverse City, MI. Sometimes it gets down to 0' degree F during winter, but for a few days only. Otherwise it is mostly 20 to 35, I think. I am planing to use 12 to 14 inch thick at the bottom and about 7 inch thick at the top. I know it is not thick enough, but may be I can deal with it. Thanks for your info Tom. Tom from da up eh'.

God Bless.

StressMan79
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM
dunno if I'd feel comfortable building with that. Remember that R values aren't averaged, but U values are averaged over the home. (U=1/R). Thus if you have one area with half the R value, (say 1/4 of the area, for this example) you have Ubar=(2+1+1+1)/4 = 5/4, the R bar would then be 4/5 (the higher, nominal value), and you'd be losing 20% more than you might calculate (based on nominal dimensions). Anyway, you can double envelope some living areas to counter balance this, and use solar gain effectively, but man, with 7'' tops, I don't know.

the great thing is, the final call is yours.

-Peter