PDA

View Full Version : Double Shed Design for Butt and Pass

AnneG
07-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Just finished reading reading the recommended book "Your Low-Tax Dream House" and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. I really like the Double Shed roof design for taking advantage of passive solar with the clerestory windows for circulation. Is this a doable design for the B&P? Anyone tried it or something similar?

Thanks, AnneG

StressMan79
07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I was considering a clerestory, seriously. I decided against it, but I believe it could be done. The thing that made me think better of it was the long glass panel required. I didn't want to have to attempt to make my own windows, and I would rather get them free. If I could get 25 feet of double pane low e-sqared premade glass panels of the same size, I would do it in a second.

I think that this allows for use of a single "ridge pole" and a single "purlin" with a 2/3 - 1/3 split in the roof line. This allows for lower quality/smaller beams to be used for rafters, b/c you only have to span 1/3 of the distance, not the full 1/2. I like the floor plan too... I don't know. I may decide to go with the clerestory afterall...

I'm not sure about your dormer type, but I found this site on a search. http://www.coastalcontractor.net/pdf/2007/0711/0711desi.pdf.

Anyway, the class teaches how to build log home in two days. To do this, it leaves things like roof designs fairly untouched. One type is put forward. The purpose of the class is to make a home for yourself, and avoiding the cost of paying a mortgage for years and years. Anyone can build a small home the way that they teach in the class. Unless you are experienced in roofing, then it is recommended that you stay with the simple gable design.

Anyway, as far as the clerestory design, if you want to talk about possibilities, you can email me at stressman79(nospam)@hotmail.com

AnneG
07-14-2008, 02:12 AM
Thanks so much for your reply, StressMan79. You are probably right about keeping the roof design simple. However, regarding the long glass panel for the clerestory window, I was thinking more along the lines of several small sliding windows. The house I used to live in had a small slider along the dormer in my bedroom. It was a nice window and worked really well for air circulation.

The link you had was for double dormers. I'm looking at a double shed design. There is an actual sketch up model online. I tried to copy and paste, but it didn't work. If you are so inclined, go to the google sketch up, click on File, click on 3D Warehouse, Get models. When it opens, type in log homes. The one I'm looking at is on the 3rd page, the 3rd one down on the left by Red Rover Eskimo. It's not real elaborate and looks fairly simple.

AnneG

AnneG
07-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Here's that link to the model that I really like, but not sure if it would work in B&P:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=bc64e903b56f93034b3223d4cacb4888

Thanks for any input!

StressMan79
07-15-2008, 10:49 AM
I have posted the pic for clarity.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm471/stressman79/download_cabinpic.jpg

first off, you aren't going to be able to put that many windows in any one wall. Mr. Rock could comment further, some leeway can be accomplished with extra bracing.

the side walls seem to be "filled in" with logs. This will be difficult to do in reality. Most members elect for board and batten to fill the top part (above the box) portion of the side walls.

You'll likely want larger overhangs. Water and wood don't get along.

I have designed a very similar design with a clerestory. Like I said, the windows (getting a large number free/cheap) is what is holding me back. The roof like this will definitely be quite a bit more involved than a comparable gable roof. I would highly suggest building a model. Maybe two--one of your house @ 1/2"=1' and a cut away of a section of roof at 1"=1'. Then join the association and bring them to the meetings, and/or take some pics and post them. Members with more framing experience than I can comment on them.

In short, this is possible using B&P, but more understanding of the methods involved is required. The computer makes it really easy to make a nice pic, but building it in actuatlity will be different.

-Peter

Yuhjn
07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
All I can say is that you should take the class. We're really getting into the information that needs to be presented to your in the full course format. Bottom line is without knowing all the things you'll learn in your class you will be unable to design this home the way you want and still satisfy all the requirements that the LHBA feels are important to the creation of a well built long lasting BnP log home.

I guess what I really mean is:

First learn how to build a BnP log home. Then figure out how to adapt those techniques to build the home with the modifications you want for your passive solar etc. Starting with your own custom stuff and working backward into BnP is a much less desirable approach.

Of course I understand how hard it is to sit there NOT designing your home and waiting for the class :) On the other hand, essentially any work you do before taking the class will become obsolete after you take the class.

StressMan79
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Yuhjn,

I seem to remember some posts where you weren't sold on taking the class?! Anyway, glad to see you have changed tunes. However, there are many threads expounding the benefits of the class. I don't know that we have to reiterate ourselves time after time (maybe once every couple threads?).

Anyway, Yuhjn is right, the class does help a lot, and the benefits you get from it are worth every penny. That being said, the public forums are a place for everyone to meet and glean information and experiences. I am sure that everyone would agree: if they post in the public forums, they are here to help. Also, no members other than the course instructors (and possibly Skip, who does not post here) has anything to gain from you taking or not taking the course. This is evidence of our good faith, as we don't make one red cent either way.

-Peter

AnneG
07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Thank you very much gentlemen for all your input! I greatly appreciate it. I am saving to take the course, and am on the email notification. If one becomes available, I should have enough money saved for the course, but probably not enough for the flight, etc.--live in NY. So the best time is probably early spring 2009 for me.

I like the suggestion to wait until AFTER the course before planning a design. I am sure you are right. And as I know very little about building--but am using this time to learn--I am certain the KISS method will be best for me. Just finished Basic Electricity 1 and looking forward to the fall courses. I have also recently sent my app to Habitat to volunteer, so am hoping for some "hands on" experience as well.

AnneG

Yuhjn
07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Yuhjn,

I seem to remember some posts where you weren't sold on taking the class?! Anyway, glad to see you have changed tunes.

Yup, basically my first post here was something like "Um, this all sounds way too good to be true, why should I think this is anything but a money-making scam?"

Of course two dozen LHBA members jumped in saying basically "yes we know it seems too good to be true at first, but if you take the class you'll see it's anything but a scam". From there I spent a couple days pouring over the old threads and realized it wasnt just fabrication (some message boards create content to make it look like there is something going on that's actually not). At that point I was already pretty well convinced, and my only real questions were not "is this legit" but "ok give me all the details, how do i get logs, how do i stack them, pin them", on and on.

Lucky for me a class popped up right about the time I decided to take the class. A month later I was sitting in Skip's living room learning about BnP.

Peter I wasnt suggesting that you shouldnt have responded the way you did. My point was that the deeper we go with this the harder it is to explain because we're missing the fundamentals of BnP. It's like trying to explain to someone how to solve differential equations when they dont know how to do algebra.

And sorry if my post sounded like I was saying you shouldnt be explaining what you're explaining. I did NOT mean "we're giving away special secrets here that you must be a member to learn". I meant "there is so much fundamental BnP knowledge required to fully answer the origional question it might be better to just wait".

Anyway sorry for any misunderstanding.

StressMan79
07-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Craig,
I wasn't the least bit mad about what you said, I just thought that non-members might begin to think, "what are these guys gaining? every time I ask a question, someone just tells me 'TAKE THE CLASS!' this seems fishy."

I basically wanted to tell you that I could see a non-member feeling that way. Anyway, what you said is 100% true, just it may seem too preachy.

-Peter

Yuhjn
07-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Anyway, what you said is 100% true, just it may seem too preachy.

Yeah, story of my life. I'm a jerk. I have no tact. I usually say the wrong thing, and when I'm lucky enough to say the right thing, I usually say it the wrong way.

All I can say is I'm working on it... and I'm sorry.

Craig

greenthumb
07-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Before I took the class I thought this was too good to be true as well. A few days of reading convinced me that there was no way that it could be a fabrication by one or two guys... The class was well worth it!

As for the original question regarding clerestory windows- someone built one like this back in the 70s or 80s with a gambrel roof and clerestory at the top, and a sun room on one side bumped out past the log wall. The pictures I've seen show that the house is very bright inside from natural light. I don't think I should post the link though, since I don't believe I've seen this fellow posting here, and don't want to send his site potentially unwelcome traffic. Sorry, but I'll try to get in touch with him if I can remember the site name and see if he'll chime in.

RockEngineer
07-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Dreaming and looking at options is always fun. Just don't get things so set in your mind that a change is going to cause you to become discouraged.

Dream, Dream, Dream!!! Everybody sing along.

greenthumb
07-16-2008, 05:45 AM
LOL, Richard you're turning into Kola!