PDA

View Full Version : unmilled natural logs

modocman
06-30-2008, 06:27 AM
I am wanting to build a log home with natural unmilled logs. I have looked at several sites and all they have are milled logs. Where can i find logs that are only debarked and not milled? I want my home to look rustic, like they did when they were fist built years ago. Any help with this would be great. modocman_69@yahoo.com

Shark
06-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Try contacting loggers or utility pole suppliers maybe?

Klapton
06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
The LHBA course covers different strategies for accquiring houselogs, and teaches those authentic, rustic methods you are talking about. I would highly recommend signing up for the email notification, and taking the course.

But shark is correct, contacting a logger locally, or finding a utility pole company are both viable options for getting whole, unmilled logs.

JeffandSara
07-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Aren't most utility poles "pole-peeled" (spiral-peeled)?

Sara

Klapton
07-01-2008, 04:40 AM
It is important to note that utility poles are machine-peeled. While it isn't nearly as foolish as milling a log (cutting WAY into the grain), it does disturb the outer layers of the grain. So they should be stained / sealed in some fashion. This is not necessary for hand-peeled logs in a properly constructed butt and pass log home. (Many people do though, because they want a certain color, or for their logs to retain a "new" look, rather than weathering gray, like most untreated logs do.)