PDA

View Full Version : New to LBHA

AnneG
06-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello Everyone!

Although I have been accessing this site for several months, I just now signed on! So, Hello!! I thought I had to attend a class before I could join the forums, but I guess not. And I am definitely planning to take a class as soon as I can pay cash for it!

What a joy it is to find this website and so many wonderful people who are sick and tired of being in debt and want only to pay as they go! Sometimes it feels pretty lonely to be thinking in that genre--so you are all a great blessing to me!

I love all the little quips and notes of encouragement everyone offers one another. I'm going to start a notebook with all the info I am gleaning, and type up these encouraging words and paste them on the outside of the notebook!

I was thrilled to find the couple who didn't even know how to frame out a room, yet they were building their own log home!! What encouragement! Sometimes fear can be a HUGE stumbling block for me. Each of you help to dispel that fear and fuel my goals and dreams.

May God bless each of you in your glorious endeavors!

AnneG

StressMan79
06-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Dear Anne,

Great to hear from you. You'll be very happy with the "extras" that comes with being a member. The class price may seem steep, but the community is very active. As a member, you get access to the "member's area" of this forum. You can get very insightful answers to any sort of question--Permits, variations on themes, building Ideas/shortcuts (like using a demo hammer to drive rebar or an air nailer to put in "chinking nails"), price comparisons, and even free help on your project (labor, not just advice) just to name a few. We are quite varied in life experience, age, politics, etc, but we are brough together by our goal of being debt free (we even have different ideas on how to do this--e.g. do you need a "credit score?").

Anyway, we are glad to help any member with advice, and look forward to adding you to our ranks.

P.S. where do you live? It is quite a lot easier to get there if you are in WA already (esp with plane ticket prices like they are now!)

Timber
06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't know where the person your talking to is from but the class announcements give plenty of time to get a great deal on a flight-I am in CALIF. and paid expedia for non stop to Sea Tac $295.00-roundtrip. Hotel stay was not cheap so perhaps you could cost share with a fellow student? Best western is like 10 minutes from class-be sure you mention LHBA class to get discount on rates. I stayed at BEST WESTERN IN Monroe--xint i must say :-) Book at least 30 days in advance-I waited to approx 27 days before booking and prices were heading North, so get the 30 day or more ahead on your plane tickets-same with your room-it got full-i heard the staff saying it was full. There were several LHBA students there at the B.W. / They serve a good breakfast in the lobby for free!I tried Hertz and even with my AAA discout it was higher than Avis so Avis got my business.

Ron

spiralsands
06-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I was thrilled to find the couple who didn't even know how to frame out a room, yet they were building their own log home!! What encouragement! Sometimes fear can be a HUGE stumbling block for me. Each of you help to dispel that fear and fuel my goals and dreams.

Hello. Fear IS a huge stumbling block. Since I took the class last January, I did something I never thought I would ever be able to do alone. I replaced all the windows on my house. (I'm a single woman) I only had my daughter help me lift the heaviest ones in and out as we fitted them. I bought the windows for cash and saved myself literally thousands of dollars. My windows look fantastic and are more expertly installed than the old windows. Now I'm tackling another big 'scary' project. I spent the last week stripping out an entire bathroom right down to the studs (including the ceiling) and am going to put in new drywall and everything. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I found in the walls and are fixing the poorly done work as I go including, some bad wiring I found in the attic.

Since last January, I stopped thinking about fear. The bathroom seems like a huge job but every step of the way, including the problems, have become my entertainment. I buy whatever tools I need and learn how to use them because when I get up to my own land, I'm gonna build that cabin...and I have no doubt that I can do it. You can do it too.

spiralsands
06-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Where in central NY are Anne? My property is in Oppenheim, NW of Utica. N of Cooperstown.

AnneG
06-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Spriralsands, you should be so very proud of yourself!! I am proud of you! You go girl! And, you are right--fear is BAD! Well, I shouldn't say totally bad--in the right setting it can be good and wise. But we shouldn't let it run our lives!

I am also a single woman, and quickly becoming an "old" single woman. So to even THINK about getting out of debt, buying land, and building my own log home is not only insane, but it takes a LOT of GUTS! And you aren't just "thinking"--you are doing!

I recently sold my home. It had been built in 1890, and I got for a song--truly. It was a real blessing while raising my children. But it was also 37 miles one way to my job. I lasted for 17 years making that trek every weekday, but once the kids were grown and gone, I just couldn't see the sense in continuing to waste all that time, money, and energy on the road everyday. So I sold the house "as is," and have moved into a 2-room apartment for $250/month! And now I walk to work everyday!

My father used to say that he was living on $10,000 a year and I should be able to do the same! Of course, that was while I still had 2 kids in the house and was driving 74 miles a day back and forth to work. Well, he has since passed away, but I remember those words. And I'm going to heed his advice the very best I can, and pray for his help! If he can do it, then I should be able to as well.

Thanks for your encouragement, Sprialsands! And you keep on fixing and learning and replacing--don't give up!

AnneG

AnneG
06-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Your land looks beautiful, Spiralsands! I can't believe we are so close to one another! Howdy neighbor!

I recently moved to Syracuse from Buffalo. I've always wanted to live in the Adirondacks. But after reading through some of the info here, I know I may have to compromise. Land in the Adirondacks is just so outrageous. I think I should check out the Tug Hill area.

AnneG

AnneG
06-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Timberwolf,

I guess I missed that article on why/why not to take a hands on log building class. I'll have to check through the articles again. I know I printed several things today, but that wasn't one of them. But I shall heed your advice, and see what I see!

And thanks for the welcome!

AnneG

AnneG
06-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the prices! However, who knows what things will look like by 2009! Unfortunately, the spring or summer of 2009 will probably be a better time for me. I'm sure I'll really have to hunt for some deals by then! I do know a couple people in the Seattle area that I could probably stay with. How far is the course location from Seattle? I may even be able to borrow one of their cars! So I would need money for the course and my air fare from Syracuse, NY to Seattle, WA!

My daughter and son-in-law live in Portland, OR. I know that I've flown to Portland in the past--roundtrip from Buffalo, NY--for $225 !! But I have a feeling those days are long gone. My daughter is already asking me to come out there for Thanksgiving, but I just don't want to spend the bucks. Of course, I know that if I book now, the price will probably be cheaper. I think they're only going to go up! But I was just there in January for her birthday and then went to Nevada a few weeks ago to visit my brother. And my brother doesn't drive, so besides the cost of the flight I also had to rent a car while there. Time to regroup and stash away that money for my land and log home!

Hey, I just had an idea while typing all this. I'll tell my daughter that I'll be in Seattle next spring or summer for the log course, and then I'll head to Portland from there! That will work! Then I'll only have to fly out west once. Thanks Timber! I have been putting off speaking to her about Thanksgiving, but I think that will work perfectly--assuming there is a course to attend in 2009!

AnneG

Timber
06-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey, I just had an idea while typing all this. I'll tell my daughter that I'll be in Seattle next spring or summer for the log course, and then I'll head to Portland from there! That will work! Then I'll only have to fly out west once. Thanks Timber! I have been putting off speaking to her about Thanksgiving, but I think that will work perfectly--assuming there is a course to attend in 2009!
The class is about 40 miles from Seattle/I am only guessing-from Sea -Tac I think it was around 40 miles. Yes I am sure more classes in 2009-They fill up fast so take it. I am trying ro get ready to build / have the land just not on it yet. This is a great site.

Ron

Kola
06-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Welcome AnneG,
I was raised very close to Buffalo NY and later attended chiropractic college in Seneca Falls NY which is about 30 minutes from Syracuse. I loved the hunting and fishing there but the winters were plum nasty in Buffalo. I did a lot of camping and hiking around the Finger Lakes region and once spent 2 weeks at Moose Lake in the Adirondacks with "barebone" survival stuff. The Adirondacks is beeee uuu teee ful country...especially in the fall. I do miss that. Good luck and welcome!

Kola

spiralsands
06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Your land looks beautiful, Spiralsands! I can't believe we are so close to one another! Howdy neighbor!

I recently moved to Syracuse from Buffalo. I've always wanted to live in the Adirondacks. But after reading through some of the info here, I know I may have to compromise. Land in the Adirondacks is just so outrageous. I think I should check out the Tug Hill area.

AnneG

I know of 23.5 acres for under 50k in Oppenheim. If no one buys it before I get up there I might try to lay my hands on it. It's mostly wooded I think and would be great for horse trails.

AnneG
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
That is an excellent price for 23 acres! But, again, no money--no buyee. First pay off debt, then save, then look and buy! But please keep your eyes open for me! I appreciate it very much!

whynotnow
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Hiya all. I am new also from central new york. I am going to take the class this coming weekend. I have been driving my wife crazy so I thought I would give her a break and start on you LOL .

I am looking for land right now any ideas? I have 30thou to get the job done. I have all the time in the world also. from reading this forum , sounds like it is a good thing I have time . ok, I got about a million questions bit wont ask till after the class. it's tough but I will wait!!

Anyone else going to the june 7&8 class ??

AnneG
06-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Kola,

Thanks for the welcome. I think I started a response to this yesterday, but never finished. Actually, I lived in Chautauqua County near Fredonia--in Forestville, NY, and drove to Buffalo everyday for work. Does anyone remember the old, original Mother Earth magazines? Hundreds of years ago, they did a feature on the 10 best places to live in the U.S. for farming/homesteading, etc. and Chautauqua County, NY was featured! And it truly is a beautiful area. It's called the fruit belt with lots of grapes and wineries + orchards--apples, cherries, peaches, etc. But working in downtown Buffalo with that winter wind whipping around making the windchill about 40 below, just got to be too much.

So when an opportunity came up to transfer to Syracuse, I took it. So now I walk to work almost every day, and live in a teeny, tiny, super cheap apartment and am working my butt off to get out of debt and save for my land and cabin. And so far things are looking pretty good.

I first fell in love with the Adirondacks as a child. My parents took us all camping there, and I've been in love with the area ever since. When I got older, I would load up my car and my kids and that's where we would head for a week of camping. My dream has always been to find some run down camp--small home with two or three cabins for rentals--on a peaceful Adirondack lake, and that's where I would spend my retirement and have an income from the rentals. I was a single parent for 17 years, so wanted to make cabins available for those families who couldn't afford a vacation--free of charge for them for a week or so. And now with our young veterans returning, I know they could probably use a place like the Adies to have a little peace and quiet.

So I'll give the Adirondacks a try for that land and/or camp along a lake. But if there's nothing available there, I'm sure I can find something somewhere.

For now, it's good to be on this website with so many great people!

AnneG

Kola
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Anne, I know exactly where Forestville is. I worked summers on a dairy farm in Franklinville and later went onto a heavy equip/truck/diesel mechanic school in Wellsville. Those were some of the best days of life and I had the honor to meet and become friends with an Amish community.
It sounds as though your have "LHBA Member" written all over you!

btw I do miss all the fruit trees and wineries of NY. Most folks think everyone from NY lives in NY City and most have no idea almost a third of the state is Adirondack Mts and the fact that upstate NY is loaded with huge lakes, rivers and fish and game. Not to mention those killer fall leaves.

Welcome home!
Kola

Kola
06-02-2008, 02:03 PM
welcome whynotnow, hook up with some of those "yankees" and they can prolly help you out with land looking in NY!

Before looking for land make sure you know some basic things about purchasing land.(ie buyer beware). There should be tons of topics here on the forum. If ya need help just hollar.

If you have time you can save tons of money. The class will save you thousands too.

Pull up your skivvies and hang on..it only gets better.

Kola

AnneG
06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Kola,

Love your logo! I have a brother in the Denver area whom I have never visited there! Very bad of me.

And it is true that when people think of NY, they think of NYC. We had an exchange student from Mexico living with us for the 1998/1999 school year, and I think he was HIGHLY disappointed to find himself stuck in Forestville for a whole year! We did show him Niagara Falls and took him to Canada so he could get another stamp on his passport, but we did not go to NYC. I think most people would be shocked to see how much of the state is rural, farmland, woods, etc. The taxes and our dear State Senators, aka the Hill and Schumer, are a bit disconcerting to say the least, but it is a very beautiful State.

I have seen parts of Yellowstone and Glacier National Park and they are phenominally beautiful and awesome, but there is just something about the Adirondacks. Where else in America can a person even think about living within the boundaries of a park unless you work for the park service? But I know it's the smell of the balsam that truly draws me there. When I drive up there, as soon as I see that sign telling me that I have entered the Adirondack Park Preserve, I pull over, get out of my car, and take great huge deep breaths through my nose and every bit of worry or despair rolls off my shoulders with the exhale of that most heavenly, restful scent! That's why I want to own that camp--so that others who are burdened, can come and be refreshed--even if its just for a short bit. We live in a crazy, crazy world. People need to come away and be restored and renewed.

Alright, I'll shut up. I'm just so excited to have found this site and all you wonderfully crazy people who think like me!

AnneG

AnneG
06-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey Whynotnow! Welcome aboard! You will definitely have to clue me in on the course as I probably won't get there until 2009. I hope you learn lots of stuff and have great questions. I saw a post for about 23 acres of land for $50,000 earlier near Utica. Hey, you never know, the person might sell some (if not all) of it for your price if you've got the cash! But it's probably best to wait until after the course, so you know all the "secrets!"

AnneG

AnneG
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks Ron. I just added my name for the email notification on classes as they are scheduled. I'm so excited! And how exciting for you to have your land! I will say some prayers for you that you are able to move to your land very, very soon!

AnneG

Timber
06-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks Anne-I like prayers- My dilemma-I have been in CA for so long it would be weird i think to not feel some anxiety to move. #1 I like the weather here and have been here for 32 years. Just need to get away from the fast pace here I think. #2 IT IS quite a jump. Its more the transition i think. Easier to say it then do it Kola is making a huge jump but he does have the benefit of being closer to his property than me. I have been investigating my City for plans and what is required to get permits and what permits do i need. Turns out its really simple since I am out of city by 5 miles. I just need a septic permit then a plumbing inspection around $250 plus the septic system and plumbing to the system. The plans to submit--none, I don't need them(EDIT OF COURSE i need plans but what i meant to say was i just dont need to get inspections or get plans approved-Try and tell a contractor to build without plans EDIT COMPLETE). I talked to a foundation site work contractor today and he said i need an electrical permit but no inspection. Geez i am liking this. I have always liked log homes(who don't) but never thought of owning / building one. I could put up a modular and have it done in 3 months paying for something I don't like. And hey. that's why I want to build a log home--because then i will have something I want.
Prayers appreciated-mostly for my decision making please.
God why cant i spell? lol
Ron

spiralsands
06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
How did I miss your post?? Wow, where are YOU in CNY? So cool you're going to the be at the class next weekend! Only I'm a little jealous because since I'm not near my property, I'll probably be seeing you peeling logs before me. Take a look at Helderberg Realty. The owner/broker is Henry Whipple (I swear I'm not kidding) and he buys and sells property all over the eastern central part of NY. Some of his properties are listed with other brokers but he could give you a better deal than they would.

Before I looked at Winterwood, I had been to Brooksfield and saw some beautiful properties overlooking green valleys and mountains. Then I met Henry up in Oppenheim and he walked the whole perimeter with me and my daughter (in the rain, no less) and pointed out all the survey markers. He even had the individual lots perk tested already. On our way out I was calling another guy who was to meet us at Little Falls and take us to Fairfield, when Henry walked up to the car and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So after seeing Fairfield, I called up Henry and accepted his offer. Winterwood (formerly known as Lot 4) was just too cozy to pass up.

spiralsands
06-03-2008, 02:03 AM
I actually live in Florida right now Anne and have been fixing this place up to make it competitive for sale once my daughter graduates college. I just finished replacing all the windows and have gutted the main bathroom down to the studs for rebuilding. But when I took out the ceiling drywall, the attic being exposed allowed me easy access to fix all those little ugly problems that I was unwilling to tackle because I hate being in the attic. Only God knows what kind of contamination has been sprayed up there in the past. The attic ventilating fan was burned out so I aimed to replace it. Once up there I found all these open electrical splices and had to get an electrician in to make it safe up there. Then I had to go on the hot-as-hell roof to get the old fan out and put the new one in and try to seal up all the roof stuff with the stinking black goo that now won't come off my fingers. I stepped in dog poo coming down the ladder. I said the f-word untold times. Then I almost got heat stroke trying to hook up the thermostat in the 120 degree poison air inside the attic. When my daughter finally threw the breaker and the fan started running I wanted to cry and collapse. I don't know about anyone else, but for some reason, even though I love to do this stuff, it is always so stinkin' painful.

whynotnow
06-03-2008, 04:06 AM
I will most certainly let you know how the class was. I can't wait. I have decided to do nothing till after the class. It's killing me!!! I have looked at a bunch of land so far. I have it narrowed down to 2 pieces , but will wait to see what I learn.

whynotnow
06-03-2008, 04:18 AM
wow!!! that land looks great!! Now I am the one being a little jealous LOL. I am looking for land with lots of trees. I plan on cutting and useing timber from the site. A lot of hard work but worth it. I have a very limited budget to get this up. So the place I buy won't have much of a view , till I get thro with it :)

I am just outside Syracuse in Baldwinsville. I will, when ever possible lend you or anyone a hand. Just ask !! I have a lot of people that I can learn things from. One guy has been cutting trees most of his life. Another owned his own construction company, know a master plumber, best friend is a lawyer... Have a nephew very interested in helping. All the pieces are falling into place. I will do as much work, ie dig septic, foundation... buy hand to cut costs, so you maybe done before I am . It is just nice to have a dream again that I feel I can do something about . LOL already have most of what I need to make model, been staring at it alot. Will keep in touch and let you know how things progress.

AnneG
06-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Well, God love you spiralsands! You have tackled a HUGE project, and it sounds like you are doing a phenominal job! I don't know about you, but I do not like working on rooftops--especially of 2-story homes. My old home had 4 large shed dormers with very old metal roofing on it, I think it is called turne metal with 2 ft X 3 ft pieces all welded together. I borrowed a neighbor's electric, wirebrush sander and sanded all the rust off of them and painted them with that silver/tar paint. I HATED climbing up that ladder and stepping onto the roof, and it was not a very steep roof. But the real challenge was stepping back off the roof onto the ladder when I was done! That I REALLY, REALLY hated! I think the first time I finished for the day, I sat up there at least another 45 minutes gathering up the courage to step back onto that ladder! But I finally did it. And each time I went back up and down, it did get a little easier--a little!

AnneG

AnneG
06-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Hey Timber--I didn't forget and I am praying for you. You are right, the anxiety and fear are to be expected. Here is a little saying that I really like--it's from a Mary Englebreit calendar. The pictures shows a little girl standing on a cliff and she is very scared and worried. She is standing in front of a very rickety, unsafe foot bridge connecting her very drab world with a beautiful, lush green land just across the bridge. The quote: "Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin." I had that picture and that quote at my desk at my old job that I worked at for 15 years before moving to Syracuse. Don't get me wrong--it was a good job, and I really liked it, and I liked most all of the people I worked with. And I knew my job quite well and was good at it, too!

I am a NY State employee. I didn't just move to Syracuse with the same State agency, I changed agencies, co-workers, everything. And it has been very scary. I feel like a super dummy as I know nothing about assisting veterans, but I'm learning! I know about road construction and maintenance on State highways, not VA hospitals and compensation claims! But as a civil servant, I felt I wanted to have more contact with the public and to really help people. Well, I'll tell ya, working with the public is STRESSFUL! But it's going good, each day I learn something new, and that is good. So each day I can answer one more question and help one more vet or the family. And that's a good feeling. Something I definitely didn't have at the DOT.

Also see my post about living on West Genesee. Lots and lots of changes. If I can do it--so can you! And I ain't no spring chicken, either!

So if there are any vets out there with questions about possible benefits they might be entitled to, ask away! I will do my darndest to get you the info you need. One suggestion, and this is only a suggestion, don't try to file your claim with the VA on your own. Seek out a veteran's service organization for your advocate. They are trained (or are learning!) to know the ins and outs and required VA forms and documentation needed for a successful claim!

AnneG

AnneG
06-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Hey whynotnow--talk about neighbors! It sounds like you definitely have done your leg work in accumulating good and resourceful help! I may be contacting some of those friends and relatives of yours!

When I moved to Syracuse in October 2007, my first apartment was on West Genesee about 3 houses east of Avery. I was attending Church at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart and noticed an ad in the Church bulletin for a 2-room apartment. I wasn't real thrilled with the place I was in, so I called. I, of course, assumed the 2-room was a typo, and they really meant 2-bedrooom. No, they assured me that it is only 2 rooms and quite small. So I passed on it. I had just downsized from a 3-bedroom home with LR, DR, full basement, enclosed front porch, etc., etc. So I was still adjusting to the 2-bedroom apartment I was in.

A few weeks later, I was at a coffee hour after Mass and asked about the apartment. It was still availble. "So, what's the rent on this little apartment?" "$250 a month includes everthing!" "I think I'd at least like to see it." I moved in on January 1, 2008. I moved a lot of items into a storage unit, and have since sold everything that was in there including my lovely dining room table. The apartment is in the convent behind the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on West Genesee. It's a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom--and very lovely--albeit very small--about 330 sq. ft. So talk about transitions and changes!!

But the apartment is a HUGE blessing! I love getting paid every other week and watching my debt very quickly dwindle away while living in a lovely, tiny apartment right behind the most beautiful Church in Syracuse! What more could I ask for--God is VERY GOOD! I now walk to work almost every day--just over a mile each way. I used to drive 37 miles one way, 74 round trip, to and from work when I was in Buffalo.

I still have a few tools that I kept, so you keep me in mind when you start building or need help! The best way to learn is to do! I have a feeling you'll be ready sooner than you think!

AnneG

spiralsands
06-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I too have the dreaded Acrophobia. My house is only one story but the roof is rather steep. I did learn over the years that you can get used to heights and the fear goes away somewhat but I still get that feeling like my balance is gone when I have to deal with heights. So when I think about someday having to climb aboard that ridgepole, I feel a little sick. I hope someone from the fire department doesn't have bring the ladder truck to get me down. How embarrassing would that be?!?!

AnneG
06-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Actually, I wish I had thought about calling the fire dept! Who cares if it's embarassing--I like that idea!

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin. --Grace Hansen

Klapton
06-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I have another problem. Donna is so scared of heights that she doesn't want to watch ME climbing around on our ridgepole. So much so that she's tried to pressure me to build a one-story. I've explained that it would simply be too expensive, and fortunately money is something she definitely understands, hehe. But I can tell you it's going to be awfully hard for her just to WATCH me up there, let alone climbing up there to do anything.

Yuhjn
06-03-2008, 10:17 AM
You can always hire the forester's assistant to do the ridge pole work.

It really amounts to hanging rafters, right? If you've got everything prepped you can probably knock that out in minimal time, keeping that labor cost low.

It's more money, but at least Donna doesnt have to see you up there.

AnneG
06-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Nice advice, Yuhjn! You must be a caring soul.

Kola
06-03-2008, 01:46 PM
You could have a full basement and one main floor Klapton.

Working high is not too bad but I have a hard time when the wind gets to blowing.

"High" as in elevation not hippie high. blink blink..squint..

Kola :)

Yuhjn
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
"High" as in elevation not hippie high. blink blink..squint..

What's really crazy is when you're hippy high and high on the ridge pole at the same time... Far out man!

Klapton
06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I'd have done better at both 20 years ago, but alas, I'm much too old for such nonsense.

We'll be doing a 40 by 40 with full basement and two floors above. We will probably go ahead and build our interior floors as we raise our walls, as some others have done. But she's just gonna have to get over it.

Upers
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Larry,

I am a bit confused, why would a single story be more expensive than a two story?

Yoopers Pat

RodneyG
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
A single story home is more expensive per square foot of home. The roof costs alot, if you have 2 floors below it the total cost per square foot is less. Also you have to pay for the foundation, if you have 2 floors above it the total cost per square foot is less.

Simple Mind
06-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I'd have done better at both 20 years ago, but alas, I'm much too old for such nonsense.

We'll be doing a 40 by 40 with full basement and two floors above. We will probably go ahead and build our interior floors as we raise our walls, as some others have done. But she's just gonna have to get over it.

Holy crud. That is going to be a lot of house.

Timber
06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Big house

Hey-the house sounds nice. I read somewhere you wondering about the shape your in moving and working these logs. Well get the tools that will make it go easier- like the impact wrench for your floor joist-the rebar driver etc. I would also start getting in shape now if i were you. I went Elk hunting a couple years ago knowing they are not easy to hunt. So i knew being at sea level in CA. and myself really not in the best shape going up 7,000 feet archery hunting in WY. decided to join a gym and get in shape almost 2 years before i went hunting. I did 2.5 to 3.5 miles on the elliptical--best machine for low impact and gets your heart going etc. Start lifting some weights and diet and think about your task at hand-building your home to keep you motivated. Then it will be less painful when you start your job. Heck I lost over 20 lbs and feel so much better. Wish i was retiring before i build-you will be able to just put all your effort into the building of the house. Many years ago I had my dad help me on a drywall job and I thought he was gonna die. He was a school teacher-taught metal shop for years until they cut that then he started teaching math and wood shop. All I had him doing was called detail work where you put some joint compound(mud) around electrical outlets that the hangers cut to big with tape over the mud. At lunch he said he could do no more and was saying his whole body was aching and his hands were cramped up. You do this now AND you will never know how much aches and pain you will save yourself. Or how much more aches and pain you will be able to endure.

Ron

tanderson
06-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Other than the sudden stop at the end of your fall, height really isn't an issue.

Like confined, cramped spaces, there are people who admit their fears and those that haven't realized them yet. There is a tool for everything though! If you need to add a climbing harness to your arsenal for the comfort of being safe, you should. Properly equipped, you should feel comfortable performing a task. If not sub it to someone who is.

"Two general rules"
1. Read, understand, and follow the manufacturers directions of operation including safety equipment. Remember, there is no more important piece of equipment than , these, Safety glasses. (Norm Abrams)

2. If you don't feel comfortable doing it safely, you can find someone who can.

It would be a shame to turn your head into a lawn dart for the sake of living debt free. I haven't had the class yet, but I bet they put "living" before "debt free".

Just my 2 cents.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxURLFn6jU&NR=1

AnneG
06-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Ron wrote:
You do this now AND you will never know how much aches and pain you will save yourself. Or how much more aches and pain you will be able to endure.

Excellent advice, Ron! I had been thinking about joining a gym, but didn't want to spend the bucks. I KNOW I'm going to need some muscles (especially those that have turned to flab thru the years) to build this home/dream of mine. I know the best prices are usually in January, but I think I'll start pricing things today! Thank you.

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin. --Grace Hansen

spiralsands
06-04-2008, 02:38 AM
It is SO IMPORTANT to stay in shape. My whole life seems to have turned around when I got that land deed in my hand. I realized that when I was going up there last summer, that I needed to have endurance enough to work hard. We had to open a driveway, build a culvert, build a dog run. We started collecting all our camping gear and stuff a couple of months before we went. During that time, I went to a doctor and had him put me on a health plan. I was overweight and afraid that despite my energy, I would not be strong enough. I did join a gym to do resistance exercise and run on the treadmill. I lost 20 pounds before we left for Oppenheim and worked so hard while we were there, I must have lost a bit more.

I lost a total of 37 pounds now and feel really strong. I can go all day if the heat isn't too bad. Unfortunately, it seems like the heat is what can kill you without you even realizing. I was so dehydrated on Monday that I had to take yesterday off (from bathroom duty, not my job!). But it's back to it tonight. Gotta get back up into the attic to wire in the new bathroom vent fan and install another one in the other bathroom. Once that's done I gotta get some PVC to repair the drain vent pipe that the builder ran through the wall and ceiling to line it up with the hole in the roof. I'm hoping I can close in that ceiling before I leave for Oklahoma next week. I gotta do some course up there for Capture Effect Glide Slope. Hey! On the weekend, maybe I'll go visit the Streets!!

Klapton
06-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Donna and I have joined a gym, and are definitely seeing progress. My wakeup call was doing a tile floor a year or so ago. I was in some serious pain. For some reason, I still see myself as the 20-something that could do that sort of work all day with no problem. I know better now, hehe.

loghousenut
06-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Let me chime in on the subject of getting in shape. Whatever age you are, just do it now. It's not that tough to do and life is SSOOoooo much more liveable when the flab is less flabby. A year and a half ago I lost 90 lbs. I hadn't realized just how young 53 was until I quit carrying around that other person. However old you are now, it'll be easier to get in shape this year than next year.... DO IT NOW!

Timber
06-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Well when i started working out i messed up my shoulder-well, it started hurting--so i think its because i have not been working out. I just kept pushing myself harder. Then it got bad so i stopped for awhile. I just went to fast. If you feel any injuries then skip the exercise that brought it on. Thinking you are young again is dangerous. And the ridge pole--it might not look high from the ground-but when you get up there. Ah, piece of cake-wear the safety gear.

Ron

greenthumb
06-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Ron wrote:
You do this now AND you will never know how much aches and pain you will save yourself. Or how much more aches and pain you will be able to endure.

Excellent advice, Ron! I had been thinking about joining a gym, but didn't want to spend the bucks. I KNOW I'm going to need some muscles (especially those that have turned to flab thru the years) to build this home/dream of mine. I know the best prices are usually in January, but I think I'll start pricing things today! Thank you.

You don't need to join a gym- check out the books "The Clean Eating Diet" by Tosca Reno, and "The Definition Workout" by Joyce Vedral.(look on bestbookbuys.com for good prices) My wife has lost a great deal of weight and gotten into incredible shape with these books, and I'm a fairly fit guy in my 20's, and Joyce's workout was challenging and made a noticeable difference in a short amount of time. It doesn't take long either- 15 mins/day, 6 days a week, and is easily tailored to your level of fitness. The clean eating diet, by the way, is not a diet, but a lifestyle changed based on proper nutrition.

Andy

Timber
06-04-2008, 03:55 AM
The problem when you lose a lot of weight with no exercise is you lose muscle also. Not to mention the fact that muscles gets used to doing whatever they gave to do. As you get older you lose muscle. You need to do more to get results. Lifting weights is proven to benifit bones etc. I am not talking about looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger

Ronald Schwarzenegger i'll be back

greenthumb
06-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Timber, I know exactly what you mean. My wife works with free weights(one of Joyce Vedrals workouts like I mentioned before), and in no way does she look like Ahnold. Joyce has a book devoted to helping people increase bone density(though all of her workouts increase it to some degree). My wife lost a lot of weight, and gained a good bit of muscle as well. ; )

Another side point is that no matter how in shape you are, you'll be using muscles you didn't know you had when you start using hand tools. I doubt even Arnold would be able to spud a bunch of logs without feeling sore the next day.

JohnnyCoho
06-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Very, very true... Log Home building is a lot of work and will work muscles you never even thought you had before. (Wish I knew about the demo-hammer back when I was driving rebar!)

Up until about a year and a half ago I was a "Gym Rat", Licensed Personal Trainer, and competitive power lifter.... Took the past year and a half away from the gym to dedicate all my free time to the completion of our log home. I lost over 35 pounds just being away from the heavy weights, but still keep my core in shape here at home with simple excersices. Nothing is more important than your core!!

A great book suggestion and way of life: Mark Verstegen's book "Core Performance" I recommended this book to all of my old clients and still recommend it to all of my friends. (Recently bought a good friend of mine who had a recent stroke, and has both back and weight problems and high blood pressure a copy of the book.... He's lost a lot of weight and is feeling great and his Doctor has now also bought himself a copy of the book. Core Performance also now has a web-site too: http://www.coreperformance.com/