PDA

View Full Version : insurance

Yuhjn
04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm sure this has come up before but I havent seen anything related to it yet.

This is a long way off for me but I was currious so I figured I would ask now:

What do most members do about insurance on your home? I know most of you try to keep your expenses as low as possible, and insurance is expensive. But how can you live without it? Especially if you're out in the middle of the forest where a wildfire can quickly liberate you from your residence.

Craig

hemlock77
04-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Insurance is the same process as with conventional home. Construction insurance, then transfered to homeowner police once you recieve Certificate of Occupentcy. My insurance agent was a little nervous at first(due to being unfamilliar with this type of construction). After a few phone inquiry's, agent was able to tailor a policy to our needs. Price wasn't that bad, only marginaly higher than conventional during construction phase. Agent told me that homeowner policy will be much lower. Either way, still cheaper than insurance on my truck.
Stu
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/

mrgripe
04-17-2008, 03:44 AM
i had a similar experience as hemlock. in the case of my policy i was able to secure about 300K of general liability insurance (which I had to prove I had in order to rent a telehandler for log lifting), 5K of coverage for building supplies and 100K for fire/wind damage. in any case the liability portion only covers bystanders - would not cover anyone else helping me with the building. that kind of insurance coverage was just way too far out of my budget.