PDA

View Full Version : Ohio a good state for sourcing logs?

workman43113
03-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I live in Ohio and have been coming to this site for over two year's lurking, lol. My question is are there good rot resistent logs in my area. Also any builders in Ohio?

dsmither
03-30-2008, 03:59 PM
I am in Ohio and know of a few others here that have recently taken the class. I don't know of anyone here that has started building yet. There are several builders in KY, IN, MI, PA, NY...

I have been searching for logs off and on for the last few weeks. The only source I've found in OH was way too high. People near here are building with white, red or yellow pine. Basil in KY is building with poplar. While it?s usually cheaper to use what?s local, some purchase logs from out of state and truck them in.

Much of the LHBA class is dedicated to teaching how to avoid rot issues. It?s much more than just the species of log. Designing and building the home using the methods taught in class will allow you to use almost any species. ?Soft? woods are easier to work with.

workman43113
03-31-2008, 03:57 AM
great thanks for the reply anymore feedback would greatly be appreciated. Where are you about's in Ohio? I live close to Laurelville

dsmither
03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm in Lebanon, OH. I've travelled through Laurelville on my way to Hocking Hills state park many times. Thats a great area for a log home. There are lots of cabins there available to rent while on a vacation.

I've really just started looking for logs. From what I understand many members spend months if not years looking. It really depends on how big a hurry your in. Those willing to put in the time, will find the best deals.
David

Basil
04-01-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm building with yellow poplar in southern KY. The trees are plentiful here, there should be some choices up there too. You have to be creative and try to use what's available-