PDA

View Full Version : Hemlock???

Fyremare
03-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Hi,
Am hesitant to ask this question, so if it's really a stupid one, someone help me understand. I have land in So. VT and most of the pine has been cut from it. What I have left is a good amount of Hemlock. I don't know what KIND of hemlock, if there are any differences! I have noticed that in any list of suitable wood to use, hemlock is never listed. Why? What are the cons of this wood that leave it off the list of good woods to use? Thanks, I hope someone can clear this up for me before I go do something stupid like use it anyway!
Fyremare

slasher
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I am no expert and actually have been looking for years... The squared, dove-tailed cabins of the southern appalachians has traditionally been hemlock. The problem is aquiring enough tree's large enough reasonably as its a harder slow growth tree in comparison to the pines in these parts... But in VT, I am sure it's probably even better as it probably has real tight rings with your winters...

I would say most the 120+y.o. cabins that I have seen are hemlock. Also there's appalachian log homes that offers it as a material choice in the square dove tailed design...

rreidnauer
03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
If I recall correctly, I believe Hemlock is prone to ring shake. But that doesn't mean you have to rule it out.

rckclmbr428
03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
The Hemlocks are currently being wiped out like the american chestnut was by a blight called wolly adeglia. is sucks the sap out of the trees, and talking with the mills around here, after the adelgia has gotten them, they rot super fast, google wolly adelgia, and see if its up in vermont yet, It has devestated stand here in VA

hemlock77
03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
In Vt you most likely have eastern Hemlock(Tsugas Canadesis). Ring shake is where the growth rings seperate, especialy in high wind areas., not much of a problem with a whole log. Sawn lumber, thats a different story. I was origanaly going to use Hemlock from central mass, but the guy couldnt get enough for whole house at one time. The wooly adelgid is an introduced parisite, hitch a ride on ornamental hemlocks from japan. The problem is no natural predators for this parisite here in the U.S. Whole areas of Eastern Hemlocks have been wiped out in the central atlantic states. I thin there is some quaranteen areas in Vt. Here in Ct. as whell.
Stu

GENE13
03-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Stu is correct, the shake in the center of Hemlock is the real problem. That is one reason they don't bring as much at the mill, and then most mills have to ask more for them to make up the differance, there is really no solid middle to them, so the mills can only use the outer layers, thus less wood. therefore most hemlocks are used for wood pulp only. Hemlock also seems to split a lot along the grain. Living here in Appalachian Ky. I've seen two cabins that were built with Hemlock, they both used LARGE (very large) square cut logs, which if I was going to use Hemlock I would suggest using only the very largest ones available, and don't square them off, you may have a harder time getting rebar to really take hold because of the centers being shake (almost like being hollow in the middle) Some hemlock logs will have more shake than others, if you cut a mature hemlock down you'll see what we mean about the shake. If that is all you have, then use them and make sure the rebar goes down 3/4 way instead of half, and seal the ends real well. It should well out last any purpose you may have for it.

Fyremare
03-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Thank you all for your replies! I have never heard of either the ring shake or the woolly parasite. You have given me some more research to do, which is great, actually! The more I look at logs, the more I am considering using them stockade style, or en pile (stacked upon each other within two verticals) or a mixture of long logs and the other styles. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the parasite isn't in my trees. Some of my helmlocks are pretty tall, what is considered "mature" for an Eastern Hemlock? And will I be readily able to see or feel the ring shake when the wood is fresh cut? I will be spending a lot of time at the property this summer and fall, considering all the things that are making my head swim whilst I am cooped up this winter! Thanks again for your help and comments. I have more questions but will put them under another heading.
Fyre

GENE13
03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
The hemlock woolly adelgid (Adelges tsugae) is an aphid-like insect that covers itself with a white, waxy ?wool? which acts as a protective coating for the insect. Adelgid infestations are easily recognizable by the appearance of tiny ?cotton balls? at the base of hemlock needles. The "wool" is most conspicuous on the undersides of branches from fall through spring.

Some trees have more shake than others, however, you will be able to view the shake when you fall it. I would think a stump diameter of 20" would sound about right. They're very slow growing and will get from 80' + tall, eastern hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis) can grow more than 150 feet tall on trunks measuring six feet in diameter. Some hemlocks in the Great Smoky Mountains are over 500 years old.