PDA

View Full Version : airless spraying weather sealer on a log home

duanne garrett
03-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi, I am curious of results you all have had using a airless sprayer on a log home?!?!?! I am researching this for my own knowlwdge , before I invest in one.I have used a backpack pump sprayer and have brushed and rolled it on prior and am fed up with these methods. They are VERY time and material consuming and am looking for feed back on this issue. Anyone ever tried it and how did it work for you? I like the Cabot brand sealer as I have tried 3 other brands(olympic , which is not made anymore,ppg,behr) and do not like any of the results. Cabot tech.says "sure you can spray it but it may not come out right,we recommend brushing it on" but they list tip sizes on their web site and P.S.I. info if using a sprayer. Seems all so confusingPlease HELP!!!!!!!!Thank you,duanne.

DavidC
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I renovated a house built in the 1890's and used Thompson's Water seal on major parts of the old timber. It went on perfectly with an airless sprayer. I dunno if Thompson's is suitable for your application so you can take it for what it's worth....

duanne garrett
03-02-2008, 03:12 PM
thanks,david.

DavidC
03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I've used an airless for many different paintjobs. Sometimes followed by brushing to smooth the painted fluid out. One of the best things about putting a coating on the walls this way is that the fluid is forced into the pores of the wood. Just an observation.

rreidnauer
03-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I used a cheapy Wagner sprayer to apply opaque stain to 5/8" T1-11, and it went on pretty darn good, and held up well.

JohnnyCoho
03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
An Airless Sprayer was used on the exterior of our place using an oil-based stain... back-brushed after stain was sprayed.

phorsman
03-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Hello Duane,
I finally have enough expertise to jump in on my first posting. I've been a painter for over 20 years and can speak with confidence on this one. Airless sprayers are the standard for applying almost all types of paint. For the most part, to get the best result you want to brush to create more of a bond and to work the material into cracks. Spraying speeds up application but won't get into most cracks and even if the surface is smooth the material will tend to lay on top and flake off sooner. Spraying and back brushing will speed up application two or three times faster than brushing alone but then you have to tape off all windows, doors, fixtures, parked cars, etc. which may end up being a wash with just brushing. Plus, if you're using oil stain it tends to leach under the tape which might produce a mess on what you're trying to protect.

Oil is preferable for wet climates, but I recommend water based for better ultra violet protection.

You can rent a spayer easily but if you don't clean it thoroughly they will charge you more. I definitely wouldn't buy one for just one job. Also, with brushing you can do spread out the job so you're not committed to doing the whole thing at once.

I've used Cabot's with good success, but there are many products as good or better. Personally I think Thompson's is the worst. Go to your local paint store (not Home Depot) to get advice. The last thing you want to do is use inferior product that has to be re done sooner than neccesary.

Phil

P.S. I'm chomping on the bit to build, baby!

JohnnyCoho
03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Hello Duane,
I finally have enough expertise to jump in on my first posting. I've been a painter for over 20 years and can speak with confidence on this one. Airless sprayers are the standard for applying almost all types of paint. For the most part, to get the best result you want to brush to create more of a bond and to work the material into cracks. Spraying speeds up application but won't get into most cracks and even if the surface is smooth the material will tend to lay on top and flake off sooner. Spraying and back brushing will speed up application two or three times faster than brushing alone but then you have to tape off all windows, doors, fixtures, parked cars, etc. which may end up being a wash with just brushing. Plus, if you're using oil stain it tends to leach under the tape which might produce a mess on what you're trying to protect.

Oil is preferable for wet climates, but I recommend water based for better ultra violet protection.

You can rent a spayer easily but if you don't clean it thoroughly they will charge you more. I definitely wouldn't buy one for just one job. Also, with brushing you can do spread out the job so you're not committed to doing the whole thing at once.

I've used Cabot's with good success, but there are many products as good or better. Personally I think Thompson's is the worst. Go to your local paint store (not Home Depot) to get advice. The last thing you want to do is use inferior product that has to be re done sooner than neccesary.

Phil

P.S. I'm chomping on the bit to build, baby!

LOL Phil!! Yup, gotta worry about over-spray!! We used Sikkens on our log home and at $320.00 per 5 gal bucket of the stain it just about killed me watching some of it going out into the air!! My truck was parked a good 30 - 40 yards away and it still got a nice misting of stain on it. UGGGHHH!!