PDA

View Full Version : Growth down the road.

Timberwolf
02-26-2008, 05:27 AM
One of the questions that's been bugging me regarding the BP method is whether or not it's feasible to add an addition to the house (and tie things in structurally) later. I ask this bacause it seems to fit in well with the philosophy of building debt free (build the basics now, add on as time and budget allows). Have any of the experienced building ever attempted to do something like this? Obviously I'm talking about doing it correctly ie: properly engineered, foundation considerations, etc, etc.

Basil
02-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Yes, adding on is discussed in the class and is quite possible. There are several ways is can be done.

Timberwolf
02-26-2008, 06:35 AM
38 days and counting...

kyle
02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Twolf...I remember someone saying that the following picture shows a "turret" which was added after the main structure was built.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/log-cabins-trees

Timberwolf
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I can hear my wife now.... ;-)

It looks like a framed addition on the right side as well.

Jason.

greenthumb
02-27-2008, 03:44 AM
One of the members posted pictures in the last several months of a log home he built, that he is currently adding on to. I'll try to find it, can't recall if it is in the members section or general forums...

Short answer- it is very possible. One thing to keep in mind is that it is much harder to live in a house you are working on- I grew up in a house that was constantly being added on to- it made things more difficult(both working on it, and living)

greenthumb
02-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Found it:

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/docdadwa/

A very nice house!

Timberwolf
02-27-2008, 05:16 AM
Or maybe the word is tired of it...

We've renovated practically every house we've owned, and lived there when it was happening (I read somewhere someone called it "Divorce Dust").

However, it may be the only option for us for a couple of reasons:

First of all, there are restictions (real or imagined, still working that out with the township office) on building over time. Most permits expire after 6 months and they want things done in a season (ie: heated and livable). Building over a 2-3 year period is not really allowed (ie: I can't put up the foundation 1 year (they claim freezing issues something I need to take them to task on), the shell year 2 and finishing year 3).

Second, I'm not living in a trailer on the property for more than the summer, partly due to sanity (2 kids), and mostly because winter is just too damn long and too damn cold here.

Loghomeguy
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
The first home I built was added on to, they simply filled in the "wings" I had constructed for parking. Since these homes are so well built it is relatively easy particularly if you know ahead of time what it is you would like to add on .

I love your debt free attitude.

It really is a shame that people are channeled toward 30 years of enslavement just to have a roof over their heads and this course presents a plausible way out of all that.

Mikey

Timberwolf
02-28-2008, 04:31 AM
mortgages to figure it out. I wish I knew 15 years ago what I know now (Hindsight 20/20). I can assure you my kids will have these lessons under their belts before they are ready to venture out on there own.

Hmm... "Mort" "gage" "Mort" in french means "dead". I wonder....?