PDA

View Full Version : Who will be at the april 5-6 class?

Alex
02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi

I just signed up for the april 5-6 class and was wondering who signed up? Where you will be sleeping, I might need a ride from a hotel/motel to the class.

Can't wait to meet you all

Cheers

Alex

Surfsidevicki
02-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Alex and anyone else taking he April 5 - 6 class
I am also taking the class... planning on renting a car (probably a Jeep Grand Cherokee) at SEATAC on Friday and leaving on Monday. Where I am staying in between, is yet to be determined.. Camping, hotel, somewhere else?
Vicki

Timberwolf
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
A buddy and I signed up for the April class. We are flying to Vancouver, BC renting a car and driving down from there. Likely going to stay at the Wallace Falls Lodge.

Waited too long for this too.

Regards,

Jason.

Timber
02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I read on an earlier class-talk of passports--better make sure you set to cross the border as I read rules have and are being changed/ because of terrorist
just thought i would warn you in case you did not know

Ron

Timberwolf
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
No worries though, I travel a lot for work and I've been in the States (flew in) twice in the last 12 months so yeah, my passport's up to date.

Now... just hope I remember to bring it... ;-)

Jason.

Timber
02-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Well I hope that they throw 1 more class. Work has been slow enough I should of signed up but maybe they will have another soon/ construction is slowing down--but intrest rates are low so its not all bad.
You are welcome. It seems I remember the people headed over here from Canada were not passport prepared --hope they still made class!
Wish I were going-enjoy

Ron

Alex
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm comming from montreal to richmond BC (Probably with Jet Blue, 64$ to go and 64 back!!!) and will be renting a car as well. Need to do the paperwork for my passport Monday, will pay the extra 30$ to rush it. I have no idea where I will stay, maybe camping if my buddy is not comming. When are you planing to arrive in Vancouver and where are you flying from?

Can't wait to see you there. Got to go to my second job (snow removal, all night till 8 am and got up this morning at 6.00 for construction, 28 hours shif!!!)

Peace

Alex

Timberwolf
02-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Likely either Westjet or Aircanada (either with my airmiles or aeroplan). I think though I should look into Jet Blue too.

Better bust ass on the passport.. that can be a real bitch. I had 2 choices... get up at 4 am to line up for 7:30 or wait 4-5 hours in line.

Ugh.

Alex
02-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Hopefully it goes faster for passport. If you check Jet blue, I usually leave from Burlington airport, small and fast airport. I'm glad you are in ottawa, will probably be able to go give you a hand when you decide to build, closer to seatle anyways lol.

See u there

Alex

Timberwolf
02-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Vollunteer help already!

No wonder I love this site.

Valerie
02-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Myself, and one of my older kids. (I'll feel better if I'm not the only one on site who knows a tiny bit more than nothing!)

I've lived in the valley long enough, and I'm actively looking for land elsewhere. Hoping a trip to Pagosa Springs, CO in March will make me a land owner.

I'm really interested in making the home self-sufficient (there's a chance we might need to be off the grid), so with what little I know, I'm thinking I'll be need to build on a large slab (for the thermal floor and that masonry fireplace I'm coveting) and have a wall of south-facing windows; solar on the roof or ground ... oh, yeah, and 5 bedrooms.

It'd be nice to go through the class before my trip to CO, but I'm just happy I chanced upon this site and got in at all.
I'm dying to get in that members' area, but if anyone wants to toss me some 2 cents worth about what to keep in mind while I'm looking at land, I'm listening.

Valerie

HardWood
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
My wife and I will be coming over for the class. We live in Spokane on the other side of the state about 5 hours away (as long as the pass is open and clear) and will be driving over for the class. My mother-in-law lives near that area and we will be staying with her.

Tom Featherstone
02-23-2008, 04:17 AM
My wife Linda And I will also be at the April class. We're from Michigan's UP and looking forward to this step in the next chapter of our future. We're planning on arriving a couple of days before the class to do sight seeing, Linda has never seen mountains from the ground. Any suggestions on what is a must see?

Tom

Loghomeguy
02-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Greetings Tom and Linda! I have lived here in the PNW off and on since 1960.

Here are a couple of gems among many.

Mount Rainier and the San Juan Islands.

Some of what you see will depend upon the weather though.

Mount Rainier national park, http://www.nps.gov/archive/mora/home.htm.

To get to the San Juans , drive to Anacortes. park at a shuttle and then walk on the ferry http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ (download the SPRING Pdf schedule) to Friday Harbor for lunch and a turn around. It will take a day but it is worth it , it is our version of "From here to Venezuela there's nothing more to see, but a hundred thousand islands flung like jewels upon the sea" (CSNY)

I know you will find the class enlightening, have a great trip.

Tom Featherstone
02-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks Michael for the info. Mt. Rainier is on the short list, I'll start looking into San Juans.......

Tom

Timber
02-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Well Valerie some times the less you know the better for teachers to teach you-means your more apt to cling to every word verses the person who already knows "to much" talking about the log home school--
on land I learned the hard way-I was on a piece I thought I had to have. while I had a broker do some ground work--see how much power was going to cost to bring in etc. someone bought the piece I was looking at=Looking back (no one told me) I could of held the property while doing my research. You can do contingency< i believe that is the word--where you will purchase land if---if it perks out in case you need septic-etc. in case you bring power--wait until you get cost estimate-pretty much whatever you need to know before purchase-you can lock up the land while investigating-for like $500 bucks.
In my case it ended for the best as i was mad and called the listing broker to see if indeed the property I wanted was sold--she said sorry but yes--then she told me the first lot in the subdivision sold fell out and was available-(end of Road Culldesac Sitting high too/known as the key lot)-so it turned out for the better for me; Don't get upset or anxious when things dont seem to go right-location is the key--for me I did not want out in the sticks so I am close to town 5 miles away/have water and power and a few neighbors--they can keep an EYE out while your gone--that's why I like neighbors/
if you see something tie it up keep looking-use to your advantage.

Ron

slasher
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I am signed up and will be alone... I will probably be staying in lynnwood or everett in a hotel depending on where I can use some hotel points....

Anyone else going to be out that way and wanting to split a car rental? 11 hr days mean not much besides class, eat, commute and sleep...

pietru
02-25-2008, 02:34 AM
If anyone is on a real tight budget, you can rent a little cabin in a camping site, 25 mins from the class site. Very clean and cozy, 35$ a night. Mine had 4 beds. I don't regret it for a second.
email me if you would like more info pietru@gmail.com

StressMan79
02-25-2008, 02:41 AM
dunno if I should be posting this, but in the spirit of brotherhood and log home building on the cheap,

I live roughly 45 min from the class site. If you are strapped for cash and not too annoying (read: smelly, loud, etc), you might stay at my place. I have a spare bedroom. Its not much, but It might be better than camping in April.

Upers
02-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Tom,

Where in the UP are you from?

I will be building near Crystal Falls in a year or two.

Good to see some Yoopers!

Pat

Alex
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Just dropped off the paperwork for my passport, took 20 minutes (I guess governement employes work faster in montreal than in ottawa loL).

I just sent you an e-mail pietru for more infos on the place.

Thanks

Alex

Surfsidevicki
02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Hello...

I havn't rented a car yet, but I'm arriving around noon on Friday and leaving around noon on Monday... wouldn't mind sharing the car. How far is Lynwood or Everett? Are the hotel rooms at a good rate? How about the $35.00 cabins?

thanks,

Vicki

freddy
02-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I stayed at Extended Stay America in Bothell. It is a "studio" style room, with a kitchenette. I got it through Hotwire.com for around $50-$55. It is good for budget minded travelers, because you can buy $25 in groceries instead of eating out twice a day.

Tom Featherstone
02-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Pat,
We're in Negaunee and plan on building at our camp property, south of Soumi. First a sauna building, that will either convince me or cure me to build our retirement home with logs.

Tom

slasher
02-27-2008, 07:15 AM
actually I was going to use some hotel pts. Anywhere everett. bothell, or renton- I think should be about 20-25 miles 30-40 minutes or so from my research. Could definitely share the ride, but should see if the hotel situation/location and airline schedules would work out. If anyone wans to see bout ride sharing feel free to email me...

E-mail me; sgtslasher(at) yahoocom ...

Alex
03-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi All

Finally made my reservation, montreal to vegas (3 days), flying to seatle arriving friday at midnight and flying back to montreal on monday 6 am. Anybody who wants to share a ride, just let me know.

Peace

Alex

Valerie
03-25-2008, 06:54 AM
My son and I will be staying at the Best Western Monroe Inn - plane's getting in around 6pm Fri and taking off around noon on Monday.
We'll have a car, and will help out with rides. emailval@cox.net

spiralsands
03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Myself, and one of my older kids. (I'll feel better if I'm not the only one on site who knows a tiny bit more than nothing!)
*SNIP*
I'm dying to get in that members' area, but if anyone wants to toss me some 2 cents worth about what to keep in mind while I'm looking at land, I'm listening.
Valerie

Hi Valerie, I went to the class in January and like you, I was supposed to bring my college age daughter with me but she decided she needed to work (college loans) so I ended up going by myself. I shopped all over the country for land for about two years. I even considered Canada and Mexico. For me, what really narrowed down the field of real estate was the availability of water on the land and the quality of the soil. I'll be putting horses on my land and want to be able to grow something edible. I also wanted alot of quiet. I found all those things on the 23.5 acres I bought in 2006.

I think the trick is to know what you want in your property. If there is something you require to be happy and you're looking at an acreage or area that cannot satisfy that, then disqualify it. There are lots of pretty views but but if you want tucked away privacy, you don't want to waste your time looking at that 16 acres on the top of the hill in Fairfield. Also, if you find something you think you like, take video of all stuff good and questionable so you can refer to it later. Walk the whole lot. That way you could see if there are any problems with water accumulation near creeks, rivers. You don't want to buy a property that has a wash running through the middle of it. One more thing, know exactly what restrictions are on your property.

Good luck on your land search and have fun at the class!
Frances

Valerie
03-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the input and encouragement, Frances.

Yeah, I've been gathering those "gotta haves", and now I'm working on prioritizing them.
I've still got younger kids, so I don't want to isolate them too much, would love to have some kind of college and work opportunities somewhat close by in case they or the other older ones would like to choose to stay near mom, need tall trees and some green. Of course since I've been in the desert for 30 years now I don't want too much rain, but don't want water to be a problem either, Grandma and Grandpa need an airport within an hour or so, and would it be too much to ask for to not have to trade my six months month of hot summer for six months of freezing temps? And did I mention having to stay in the western half of the US since that's where all our family is? Yeeeeaaaah .... and oops! Gotta be affordable!
Not asking TOO much, am I? =) The trouble is trying to find something that will please everybody, right?

I really thought I wanted to go to Pagosa Springs in CO ... and part of me still wants to - but there's not much to sustain my kids jobwise if they should want to stay around - so I feel like I'd just be asking them to leave me if I went there ... sure is a gorgeous area.
I'm going to look in the NE part of WA in April ... just worried it'll be too dang cold for too long, though.
We're considering a horse or two in the future, so I'd like a bit of acreage ...

Your land is just beautiful!

Valerie

spiralsands
03-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Valerie, you can offlist me at spiralsands@yahoo.com so we don't bore everyone else with our private discussion about land. I looked up in Washington too. I had this broker sending me pictures and info about different acreages and there was some very affordable stuff but there was one reason I do remember why I decided against it. Water, or the lack of it. I remember that they were attractive but not conducive to growing much else than local flora without an abundance of water. Not all of Washington is wet. However, if you go there, you'll at least be able to take advantage of all the experienced people in the vicinity when you decide to build. If I had to describe my impression of the Washington landscape in one word, the word would be 'Dramatic'.

The area my property is in is also not a high growth area with lots of sustaining employment. I don't know what my daughter is going to do with her degree once she graduates next December. But I keep telling her that in those areas where corporate employment is not plentiful, self employment is best. It takes initiative and imagination to carve out a life in an area where the commerce giants are absent. It also takes a lot of support from immediate and extended family. Sorta like the old days. I have absolutely no problem with the "old ways".

I lived in Tucson for awhile. Before and after my military service. I sure missed it when I left.

Frances

kirkwatkins
03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
My son Karston and I are attending the class. We live in the desert of Southern Utah. You might think there are no trees down here but our mountain building lots are at high elevation alpine locations. I agree with the post about not knowing much about this process. However, we have been researching for the last couple of years and are convinced that we have joined the right group and are excited about attending. Look forward to meeting all of you in a week.

Kirk Watkins
Karston Watkins

Tom Featherstone
04-01-2008, 02:01 AM
As I write this there is currently a Blizzard outside my door, so for the few of you that complain about cool weather you'll get no symphony from us Yoopers. We're very excited about this weekends class and coming to WA. We'll be arriving on Weds afternoon and then plan to head towards Mt. Rainier for a couple of days of Mt. gazing, then heading towards Monroe on Fri and staying at the Wallace Falls Lodge for the weekend. Looking forward to meeting you all on Saturday am.

Tom & Linda

50 degrees sounds like Florida weather to me....

Shannonbeth
04-01-2008, 03:23 AM
As I write this there is currently a Blizzard outside my door, so for the few of you that complain about cool weather you'll get no symphony from us Yoopers. We're very excited about this weekends class and coming to WA. We'll be arriving on Weds afternoon and then plan to head towards Mt. Rainier for a couple of days of Mt. gazing, then heading towards Monroe on Fri and staying at the Wallace Falls Lodge for the weekend. Looking forward to meeting you all on Saturday am.

Tom & Linda

50 degrees sounds like Florida weather to me....
We got pounded yesterday with a snow storm in Minnesota. Guess spring is only a dream this year?

Alex
04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Leaving tomorrow for 3 days in Vegas before the class. Can't wait to meet you all at the class.

Peace

Alex

trucker
04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Just a suggestion, I attended the class in Jan. and used FOX RENT-A-CAR near Sea-tac airport this is an offsite rental service but they have regular shuttles from the airport. I paid $9.71 a day with unlimited miles for a nice mid range 4 door car. Look them up online and print out their 5% off coupon and take it with you. I would suggest you sit near the front during the class, less distractions.

battleship
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
who is goin to be at the class of the 19th and 20th
`````````````````````````````````````````
cant wait to meet everyone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RANDY AND MARILYN
`````````````````

GENE13
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
who is goin to be at the class of the 19th and 20th
`````````````````````````````````````````
cant wait to meet everyone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RANDY AND MARILYN
`````````````````

Lord willing Battleship and the plane makes it, LOL, I'll see ya there :-)

Shannonbeth
04-08-2008, 05:38 AM
I am just wondering how much it cost for materials and what not at the class? I know the membeship fee's and of course there is lodging, food and what not, but is there stuff you purchase when you're in the class?

a.chernisky
04-08-2008, 05:48 AM
All of the materials provided are included in the price of the class. You may purchase building plans if you want too, but this is not necessary at the time.

Klapton
04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I am just wondering how much it cost for materials and what not at the class? I know the membeship fee's and of course there is lodging, food and what not, but is there stuff you purchase when you're in the class?
Flashlight (maybe Spring is far enough along it won't be dark after class?)
Umbrella / Raincoat for the walk and outdoor portions of the class
Pens / Pencils
Notepaper / (graph paper is handy if you like to scetch diagrams and stuff)
Slippers / heavy socks (no shoes in Skip's house. Bring slippers / heavy socks of you get cold feet easily)
List of questions to ask with space to write the answers. (Most will probably be answered without having to ask them, but if they finish up a section of the class, and haven't answered it yet, they will ask for questions -- ASK!)

rreidnauer
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I bought a pair of the "No Trespassing" signs at the class when I went. ('bout the only thing that was being sold at the class when I went) Might be able to buy plans while on site now. Ellsworth?

Also, if you ask really nice, they might sell you Skip's famous, secret cookie recipe!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW Shannon. You can change you signature back. He was referring to someone else who had a similar sig, who has since taken the class. (hence, no longer waiting)

greenthumb
04-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Rod, you haven't heard?

The cookie recipe is now offered free with course membership! What a deal! :)

I bought a few of the log home builder association t-shirts. I need to order a few more as I'm starting to wear them out, I wear them so much... just be careful you don't wear them around the wrong crowds. LOL, almost got myself in a pickle over a kit vs. BNP disagreement.

GENE13
04-09-2008, 08:30 AM
dunno if I should be posting this, but in the spirit of brotherhood and log home building on the cheap,

I live roughly 45 min from the class site. If you are strapped for cash and not too annoying (read: smelly, loud, etc), you might stay at my place. I have a spare bedroom. Its not much, but It might be better than camping in April.

Stressman, that's a very cool thing and very admirable. I tip my hat to you O\
~~