PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin House Plans

rotorgoat
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Any sources for plan providers (not kits or packages) suitable for submitting for a building permit?? In the Western Rocky Mtn. area or anywhere for that matter?

akemt
01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
You can search any of the usual houseplan websites with their 20,000 plans and find log home/cabin plans there. If you're interested in the Log Home Builder's style of building, you can purchase engineered plans after you've taken the class.

bkleber
01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Rotorgoat,
The LHBA sells well-designed and engineered plans to its members with special licensing rights that you won't find anywhere else. The engineer who designs these plans typically makes them robust enough to survive the country's most stringent snow load requirements, wind requirements, and earthquake requirements, since I understand that these plans have been used without alteration and received permits in high earthquake zones, hurricane zones and snow zones.

The association does offer standard plans at unbelievably good prices to members who have taken the class. Their plans assume you'll be using the LHBA's favorite Butt-and-Pass construction method, and as was already mentioned you'd probably do best to take the class... I'm an engineer and a pretty handy guy, and have been building & fixing stuff on my own for decades, but there is a tremendous wealth of information I took away from the 2-day class that I would NEVER have known how to do just from looking at the plans that I bought afterwards. Not only did I learn a really good way of building, I learned WHY it's a good way - which means I can also improvise intelligently and know whether it should remain robust!

Two weeks ago I submitted the stock 30x30 plans for use in Louisa County, VA. Two days ago my building permits were granted, with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The plans meet every requirement the building permit folks have, and then some. The only changes I made were to change the interior floor plan, but since the LHBA B&P method has no interior load-bearing walls, you can divide up your square feet in pretty much any way you can imagine, and it makes no difference structurally. Oh, and I added an extra story - but that wasn't a problem at all.

huffjohndeb
01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
My wife and I are taking the class Jan 19-20 do they have plans that we can look over while at the class?

dbtoo
01-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Yes, they have plans to review.

gonehunting
01-11-2008, 05:30 AM
what is the price range for the floor plans that I hear are offered after taking the class