PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, hope my questions don't seem to Lame

airforcevet
01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I have property available to build on. I live pellet shot of a very popular Kit log home building company. I have traveled to their display homes which is 2 hours from their manufacturing location. To be honest the seemed more interested in someone that would drive up in a rolls royce rather than a chevy.

A couple of my friends I know, have bought what they told me was "cabin grade" logs from the manufact location. and put up cabins of their own. One complained his builder messed him up. the other looks good. This particular one told me he had onlyl 2,000 or so in the logs.

My problem is i'm live on veterans comp, and ssn disability (and the 85,00 premier kit" is pretty steep for just a dry in. I would love to build one myself, but i'm afraid i cannot do all the work physically.

My questions are:

Are the cabin grade logs available a good option, if i can find help building one.

If so, any input would be appreciated, as i can haul logs accross road to my build location when ready.

When using such a logs, would it be best to find a plan (blueprint) or purchase one from someone or location? (and modifing to my needs).

As for building, have anyone used the help of hiring amish to dry one in.
I have some amish builders in my area that I know build them from scratch but i'm sure they will charge much more than buying the cabin grade logs (d style). ?

Or maybe someone on here may know someone that would help set me up with someone to hire, etc in my area.

Any help or input will be greatly appreciated. as I love the high ceilings in some of the companies kits, but don't know how to cross that bridge If i went straight to the lot and bought the cabin grade logs and haul them myself.

Thanks , JL

hemlock77
01-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Dry in kits are hitting 85k now? I gave up on the the kit idea when the prices started hitting the 60k range. My advice would be to forget the kit all togiether, for reasons too numberous to go into right now. The class will answer therse questions for you. They do have a couple stock plans availble to members which can be modified to suit your needs. You can hire out the heavy lifting stuff, a basic laborer is all that is needed for that. I have one guy that helps me on the weekend for $10 hr. He plans on taking the class when his girfriend finishes school. The class alse gives you some goods ideas on saving money on your build without cutting corners.

Just to put a little prespective on the wholesale kit log prices, whic last I checked was running between $7-8 a lineal foot for the 8" stuff. My trees cost me less than $3 a lineal foot with a 14 1/2" adverage diameter. There are no splices in the middle of my walls.

By the way, what was your Air Force career field? Ive been in Services since I jouned way back in 1986. I plan on Retiring in Sep 09

Stu
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/