PDA

View Full Version : Taking the class in Feb. '08

Stonecold
12-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I am taking the class in Feb and was taking my wife along for the ride. She will not be taking the class with me. So, my question is this. Has anyone else taken thier wife and if so, I need some suggestions to keep her occupied (happy) while I am in the class.

Klapton
12-27-2007, 08:45 PM
It's too bad it won't be summer, because most of the nice things to see and do in that area are outdoors. But here's some ideas...

Seattle is a neat city to visit. I'd recommend visiting the Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, and maybe the Underground Seattle tour.

About an hour East on Highway 2 from Monroe is Steven's Pass. There's a nice ski area there. The lodge there is pretty and has a nice view of the slopes. It's not a bad place to sit and drink coffee and read a book.

She should visit the Wallace Falls Lodge (if you guys aren't staying there already!) She'd get to see a very nice example of LHBA construction there.

If she goes exploring up Highway 2, be sure to grab a burger at Zeke's between Gold Bar and Index.

Stonecold
12-28-2007, 05:33 AM
We plan on staying at the Wallace Lodge if space avalible. We do plan on a little ski time on Monday before we leave. Thanks again!!!

pinecone pam
12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Just a suggestion, your wife should take the class. If you really want to do this, you'll both have to be on the same page. You'll need her to understand why and how this works. Later when she wants a window here or a door there or why does that ridgepole have to be there? you'll go nuts trying to get her happy. Most of us have not built anything before. Some of us have. Lots of us are women and can hold our own with the guys when it comes to building. I encourage her to get in on this right from the get-go. Happy building!

dvb
01-03-2008, 05:18 AM
My wife and I took the class together - it was a good idea.
Most of the expense is getting there.
It is always better to have two heads working on a problem.
She understands what we are doing now and is really a great help on remembering things I forgot or missed. Plus, like Pam says, she understands what can be done and what cannot.

Debby
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Couldn't agree more! My husband and I both took the class and I wouldn't recommend it any other way. Besides, you will both take away different information that the other one didn't catch or think was that important. It's worth the extra $.

Stonecold
01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I have discussed that with my wife and she does not want to attend the class. We are looking at building a vacation home and some for investment purposes and she says that the building part is my thing not hers. She likes painting, tile work and decorating.

Thanks!

Future Log Home Builder!!!!

cowfire
01-10-2008, 05:54 AM
If your wife doesn't want to go, that's perfectly fine. Hopefully I will be the last person to recommend you take her with , though. If she goes to the class, and never picks up a hammer, no problem. But what about when they talk about where and why bathrooms are placed in certain areas, or building design, or why logs are placed in certain numbers in certain places, or how it's cheaper to do one thing a certain way over another.
I have been in construction/carpentry for a while, and sometimes I almost wish I had a wife, because I have a hard time somtimes with deciding room layout, design, stuff that a future buyer would want. Either way, welcome to the family!

akemt
01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Echoing everyone else...
As the wife and being the one who draws up the houseplans in our family (as well as being purchaser and decorator too!), it is necessary to have an understanding of these structures inside and out. It isn't like a stickbuilt home or a log kit home. I went into the class wanting "D" logs and hating the look of chinking...I've learned. There were a number of women at our class and I had a blast! Of course, I've been seen running electrical and drywalling while 6 months pregnant too, but I don't think that was the norm for the other women attending. I'd try talking her into it, personally, even if you have to buy her a gift package to some spa when you get home to persuade her... ;)