PDA

View Full Version : video slide show of log cabin going up in Alaska

zato_ichi
10-24-2007, 06:01 PM
found this video today on the Alaska gold forum, its a butt and pass although not in the lhba style as they appear to have bought "D" logs with the bark left on. It's interesting none the less, and the Blue Grass is a nice touch. however there seems to be a definite Kit feeling to it as not all the logs are full length etc.

It is a lengthy download if you are without broadband around 105 mb, 20 min long video. Just thought I'd pass it along for ya'll to speculate on.

What if any advantage would there be to leave the bark on? I think it looks kinda cool but wouldn't it invite insects?

Edit:
on second look this is not a butt and pass, it's more of a butt and butt style

ponyboy
10-25-2007, 02:47 AM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p319/ponyboy93/braille2.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p319/ponyboy93/17116.gif

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p319/ponyboy93/Shintaro_Katsu_in_Zatoichi_Challeng.jpg

zato_ichi
10-25-2007, 04:47 AM
here you go
http://golddredgervideo.com/alaska2007/cabinbuilding.wmv

adubar
10-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Not too sure it's a kit. In a couple of pictures you can see where they are cutting them down to size and others where they "missed on the guesstimation for the windows." They deffinately look milled including what looks to me like a chamfer on the inside edges.

As far as the profile goes, you can find quite a few examples of that in old publications. The arguement goes something like: --- slicing the top and bottom off makes for easier stacking, and slicing the inside surface off makes for a cleaner wood look for the homemaker. The outside bark keeps the rustic look where it belongs---outside-at least that is probably what a pamphlet or book on the subject from the middle of the 20th century might tell you.

I've seen quite a few examples of this type of construction both in publications from the park services and in locals around state and federal parks/forests. It seems it was a quick and popular way to build a cabin on that plot of land that grand-dad leased from the park service. Many simply did not stand the test of time.

As one would expect, in the examples from the mid 20th century that I've seen, they all suffered rot problems.

-A

Klapton
10-25-2007, 11:09 AM
(I didn't watch the whole video) It has a nice appearance, and the milled logs are probably VERY easy to work with. If they use the same rebar patterns that LHBA style uses, the structure should be VERY strong. As for rot and other problems... Any time you cut into the grain, you invite moisture in, and beg for rot. And not having breathable space in between the logs also promotes rot.

HOWEVER... If they did two very simple things with this house that LHBA teaches, their chances of avoiding rot would be much better: longer overdangles, and a humungous overhangs on their roof. Just like a "Skip-style" butt and pass with whole logs and chinking, building on a roof large enough to protect the logs from ordinary rainfall would go a long ways toward ensuring that house lasted a good long time.

I honestly don't know what affect the bark would have though.

rreidnauer
10-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Yea, appears to be a self done project. Just mill cut logs, no routered keyways or such.

Some of the things that had me wondering though, and I'd definitely avoid.

Of course, the flat-on-flat thing, but also,
No foundation,
Log walls bearing full weight on a basic 2X framed floor,
Butted mid-wall log joints, especially the many short pieces used in the gables,
Rafter depth. This is in Alaska, isn't it? What about live loads and insulation values?

And why no ridge pole? Log home without a ridge pole? Tsk tsk tsk. :-)

I do like the bark-on look. Too bad it's not a sound method.

jeffro
10-26-2007, 11:49 AM
I was wondering about snow loads and the lack of a foundation for ground heaving in the winter too.

Interesting to watch, thanks for posting.

pitkas
10-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Extratuffs and shorts, that is about Alaskan as it gets. Are you going to debark the logs? I had all sorts of critters living in the logs I debarked.

hawkiye
10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
interesting. No roofing felt before putting on the metal...

Imgonnabuild1
10-29-2007, 05:33 PM
where did you learn all of the techniques you used for this progect? Also how the hell did you get the logs standing on end on all four corners? are they called risers or something else?

rreidnauer
10-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Good catch Hawkiye, I forgot to mention that one.

Imgonnabuild1, The original poster didn't build that place. He just provided a link from another forum.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: Oops. Sorry Imgonnabuild1, I just realized you were talking about Hawkiye's place. (which BTW is coming along beautifully!!!)

hawkiye
10-31-2007, 09:22 PM
where did you learn all of the techniques you used for this progect? Also how the hell did you get the logs standing on end on all four corners? are they called risers or something else?

I think he's talking to me Rod?

Assuming you're talking to me. I learned the method by taking the class here at LHBA. Those poles in the corners are lifting poles for lifting the logs. They will come out when we're done lifting.

On my page in the second row of pics forth one from the left is a short video of us lifting a log if you want to see how there used.

Blayne

Mr Mike
11-01-2007, 04:45 AM
supplying me(us), with such great eye candy. Just Thanks for the inspiration, and helping to keep the fires burning. This Sh__ er, Stuff is to cool.. Thanks, Mike

Semper Fi my Brothers

rreidnauer
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
He must be talking about you. You're the only one in this thread that has anything connected to lifting poles. ;o)

BTW, nice lifting video Blayne!!! I didn't notice that was a vid-clip amongst the pictures.

Imgonnabuild1, go to http://www.loghomebuilders.org/categories/about-us/about-our-class to get details of attending the class. (unfortunately, there are no more classes planned for this year, and once they become available, it will once again be a feeding frenzy to get in, so if you want to go, be sure to sign up for class availability notifications)

hawkiye
11-01-2007, 02:39 PM
BTW, nice lifting video Blayne!!! I didn't notice that was a vid-clip amongst the pictures.

Thanks. Those logs are summer cut and very green so we use the truck to lift now. I have a couple extra double blocks we chain to the over dangles to route the rope through. However were running out of room to pull. I think we'll make it but it going to be close. Don't want to lift those green logs that high by hand now that is a workout ;)

Blayne