PDA

View Full Version : How much maintenance do log homes require

airlineamy
03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
My husband and I have been planning on building a log home for some time. We are currently paying off the land we bought to put it now. Now he is getting cold feet, and says its because log homes require too much maintenance. Do log homes require more maintenace than other types of home? Can someone direct me to information regarding mainteance on log homes? Also, if anyone has taken the 2 day course on log building, I'd like to hear some feedback. The website seems overly optimistic, can be done easily, quickly, and with only 1 person.

rreidnauer
03-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Well, here's one person who has taken the class, and I can tell you it's well worth every dime paid. (actually, I feel like I got well more than I paid for!) Getting logs for free may be a bit over-exaggerated (it does happen, but it's more the exception, rather than the rule) but the overall building course is very realistic.

Alright, maintenance. Before finding LHBA, I was under the same exact perception. A bad rumor born of kit "log" homes. If you've read the website, you likely read about how kit "log" homes have problems. The inherent design and processing of kithomes does cause for a great deal of maintenance duties. Regular waterproofing being at the top of the list. On the contrary, the design used by LHBA make true log homes practically maintenace free. (more so than I would have ever expected) It is a very affordable way to build, and maintain.

Funny thing. You can spend so much money for a kithome, and then you have to keep dumping money into preventative maintenance, just to keep them standing.

. . . . . can be done easily, quickly, and with only 1 person.

What do you consider easy? The techniques are easy, but it is laborious work. (afterall, we are talking about moving entire trees around!) What do you consider quick? Does a year or two to prepare, and a year or two to build fast enough? You could go faster if you throw more money at the project. (by buying/renting expensive equipment and hiring contractors) Though, two people can make things go twice as fast! :wink: In any case, it's a lot less time than paying for the 30 year mortgage.

msjones
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
easily No, I think it will be hard work.

quickly Probably not, unless you work on it 24/7.

and with only 1 person Maybe, with the right tools and planning.

Basil
03-05-2007, 05:35 AM
It's not easy, it's not quick, but it can be done by one person. Easy and quick are relative. It IS easier and quicker than paying off the mortgage to pay someone else to do it, and working a job you hate for thirty years...

sezzzle
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I think easy and quick are indeed relative terms. I've found that when aproaching a project it's easier and quicker to work on one detail at a time and concentrate on that one item, rather than getting overwhelmed by the immensness (sic) of the project. No matter how fast I go I can still only do one thing at a time well, whether it's digging a hole or pluming 380' of elevator. Break it down into small pieces and enjoy the journey! :wink: